HP Zbook 15, BIOS v1.39, ACPI Error: [CFGD] Namespace
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: HP Zbook 15, BIOS v1.39, ACPI Error: [CFGD] Namespace Reply with quote

I get what appears to be two ACPI errors in the kernel log at boot.
I'm using gentoo-sources-4.14.20.
I have included the other lines from the log for context:

Code:
[    2.095932] ACPI: Thermal Zone [CPUZ] (65 C)
[    2.110168] ACPI Error: [CFGD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psargs-364)
[    2.110197] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_TZ.PSL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)
[    2.110222] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_TZ.GFXZ._PSL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)
[    2.110248] ACPI: Invalid passive threshold
[    2.120238] thermal LNXTHERM:01: registered as thermal_zone1
[    2.120257] ACPI: Thermal Zone [GFXZ] (53 C)
[    2.135427] thermal LNXTHERM:02: registered as thermal_zone2
[    2.135446] ACPI: Thermal Zone [EXTZ] (0 C)
[    2.150638] thermal LNXTHERM:03: registered as thermal_zone3
[    2.150658] ACPI: Thermal Zone [LOCZ] (0 C)
[    2.155885] ACPI Error: [CFGD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psargs-364)
[    2.156703] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_TZ.PSL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)
[    2.157502] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_TZ.BATZ._PSL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20170728/psparse-550)
[    2.158298] ACPI: Invalid passive threshold
[    2.168906] thermal LNXTHERM:04: registered as thermal_zone4
[    2.169729] ACPI: Thermal Zone [BATZ] (30 C)
[    2.170764] thermal LNXTHERM:05: registered as thermal_zone5
[    2.171577] ACPI: Thermal Zone [PCHZ] (0 C)

What is the right way to handle these kind of errors? I've read that it's possible to manually rewrite the ACPI table, but I vaguely recall reading that it is better for these errors to be fixed/worked-around in the kernel itself. Shall I just open a bug in the Gentoo bugzilla?

Thanks, cheers.
Marcih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: HP Zbook 15, BIOS v1.39, ACPI Error: [CFGD] Namespace Reply with quote

Before you try to edit the tables yourself, try just decompiling and recompiling it and seeing whether it reports any errors in the process. If you're going to go the route of manual fix, Arch Wiki has a decent article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DSDT . Here's an Ubuntu forum post about it https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036051 , it also links to an ancient thread here on the Gentoo forums in the OP.
I'm in the same boat as yourself, it looks like a buggy DSDT is causing issues with CPUfreq on my machine. I read somewhere that it was recommended to submit a bug report, but I wasn't sure whether it was to your distro's bugzilla or whether whoever does the ACPI implementation for the Linux kernel has their own or what (EDIT: They do, best would be to submit it both to Gentoo bugzilla and there and cross-refernce them me thinks: https://01.org/linux-acpi/get-involved/bugzilla )... I think I'll try my hand at fixing it just for the hell of it but I'll definitely open a bug report (so that if I do somehow magically manage to fix it, I can post it there) and I suggest you do the same. :)

EDIT: Before submitting a bug report, try the newest gentoo-sources in the repo (testing branch), or even the vanilla Linux sources either from the repo or directly from kernel.org, to see if it was fixed in the meantime. After all, stable is still in the 4.9 tree and your bug may have been fixed in the meantime.
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Marcih.

I found someone has already opened a ticket for the same thing as me (exactly the same laptop), with a disappointing result of CLOSED - WON'T FIX. :(
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196041

Guess I have to take it up with HP and potentially remedy the ACPI table myself in the mean time.

I decompiled and recompiled it with the result being 0 errors. But the disassembly does list CFGD as an External "UnknownObj".

Cheers.
Marcih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph K. wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Marcih.

I found someone has already opened a ticket for the same thing as me (exactly the same laptop), with a disappointing result of CLOSED - WON'T FIX. :(
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196041

Guess I have to take it up with HP and potentially remedy the ACPI table myself in the mean time.

I decompiled and recompiled it with the result being 0 errors. But the disassembly does list CFGD as an External "UnknownObj".

Cheers.

Hmmm, that's disappointing, I'm sorry about that. :? So much for "using ACPI without modification to the firmware" I guess. Your only hope now is, as you said, HP support (if your device is still supported and HP gives at least half a toss about Linux). Regardless, I find it odd that they can't do anything in the kernel. I (seem to) have badly written firmware on my laptop as well where half of ACPI-related functionality crashes the system or simply doesn't exist when using the latest (somewhat outdated at this point) stable gentoo-sources release (4.9.76-r1) but moving to testing and using the latest kernel sources (4.15.5) magically fixes the issue.

Anyways, best of luck with your issue, I sincerely hope HP will be more able (and willing). :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: