View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Error: "could not sync environment to dbus" at the Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm have Gentoo with SystemD and KDE, but every first boot I get that boring error:

"could not sync environment to dbus"

After this error, sddm restarts and the system ask the password again.
I Searched on google this error, but I not found any similar case, and the cases that I found solutions is not work or is not aplicable.

I have no idea in how to solve this, I'm using xinitrc as workarround. Any help will be appreciated

OBS: It's a fresh install
yamboo-efi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm have same same issue after an upgrade. I think was caused after enable USE "user-session", that was required by plasma-workspace-5.11.5-r1.

The message was fired by startkde, because fail executing "dbus-update-activation-environment --sytemd --all". The error message said "unable to connect to D-Bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/user/1000/bus: No such file or directory" but that path exists.

Execute ck-list-sessions return a empty list, but if I execute on another shell ck-launch-session I can login with the user.

I currently investigate the issue.

Can anyone put some light?
yamboo-efi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some reseach, I found the issue. At least in my case.

I found one older post (this, that said that consolekit is incompatible with systemd-login. I checked my system and found that have systemd-login.service running and consolekit installed.

After unmerge consolekit and reboot, I can login normally througth sddm.

I checked two other gentoo install machines that I have with systemd + plasma, and found that on one of them has consolekit installed and systemd-login.service active and login works as expected (Have 13.0 profile). In the other, consolekit wasn't installed and have 17.0 profile. The same as tricky install. None of them have USE "user-session" active.

It's curious that both profiles set USE "consolekit" active, but it is ignored by packages. If I force disable it and try emerge @world with -DNu no any packages need rebuild

I think consolekit conflic with systemd-login only occurs when USE user-session are active. Why consolekit isn't masked? Could be a bug?[/url]

Last edited by yamboo-efi on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If USE=consolekit is enabled then it is entirely your problem. systemd profiles mask this use flag.
yamboo-efi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, consolekit USE flag isn't the problem.

I haven't enabled that USE. If I use ufed, to check USE flags, they shows that is active by make.defaults. Forcing USE="+consolekit" or USE="-consolekit" make no change in the system. As you pointed is masked by the profile, I have "default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable)" active.

I think that real problem is that consolekit package isn't masked by plasma/systemd profiles or plasma-workspace package.
After the update, running "emerge --depclean" not uninstalling consolekit. I have installed the system on 2014 and cannot remember if at some time I pulled consolekit in @world by manually installing it, but if the package cause conflicts the should be masked.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a mask will never prevent users from installing consolekit, be it consciously or via the dreaded portage autounmask. There is no reason for consolekit to be present on the system if the USE flag is masked.

Why people think that package.mask is the solution to make dependencies go away will forever be a mystery to me.
yamboo-efi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mask I not refer only to package.mask, packages can force conflict in the ebuild blocking a package. In the same way that plasma-workspace requires dbus with USE"+user-session" when USE="+systemd" they can block sys-auth/consolekit when USE="+systemd +user-session".

A simply reason that could occur is a system installed 3 years ago with init.d and kde4, updated to systemd and kde5 and lastly updated periodically.

How you suggest to make dependencies go out? Reinstalling from the scratch every 2-3 months? or learning about all deps of existing packages?

I ussed Gentoo every day from 1.4 version, and I happy whith. Never suffered these issue, only habitual cyclic dependencies or compilation issues. But there is always a first time.

So ok, I don't wanna to discuss more, I hope that these posts help someone whit same issue.

Thanks for your time.
holm74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

have the same problem mentioned under https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8191546.html.

Did you solve it? I am very interested.

Many thanks,

Holm
tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for replying so late, the email did not notify me about it and as I have no habit of visiting forums.... Sorry about that.

Well I think I have 2 things to score
1 - Systemd in Gentoo is a heresy
2 - I found a workarround

Exactly, support for systemd in the Gentoo community is almost nil, and when asked about Systemd people respond in a bad mood or with sarcasm. This leads me to believe that yep using systemd in Gentoo is heresy. If you really need SystemD, use but do not rely on support. Sorry for this

Workarround is all about stopping using Sddm and using xinitrc.
If you do not know how to do this, see this
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE#No_display_manager
It is not a solution, but at least you do not have this annoying error.

Hope this helps
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiago4171 wrote:
sorry for replying so late, the email did not notify me about it and as I have no habit of visiting forums.... Sorry about that.

Well I think I have 2 things to score
1 - Systemd in Gentoo is a heresy
2 - I found a workarround

Exactly, support for systemd in the Gentoo community is almost nil, and when asked about Systemd people respond in a bad mood or with sarcasm. This leads me to believe that yep using systemd in Gentoo is heresy. If you really need SystemD, use but do not rely on support. Sorry for this

Workarround is all about stopping using Sddm and using xinitrc.
If you do not know how to do this, see this
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE#No_display_manager
It is not a solution, but at least you do not have this annoying error.

Hope this helps

i think what you needed was the X use flag in dbus.
RayOfLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> unmerged consolekit
> ????
> solved a year old bug (that I think was caused by a gentoo update)
> thank you yamboo-efi
holm74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to RayOfLight:

emerge --unmerge consolekit

was the solution.

Thanks,

Holm
arackhaen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:

i think what you needed was the X use flag in dbus.

Thanks tranquilcool!

I just did a fresh install of Gentoo (without systemd) and stumbled to that error. I was missing X use flag from my USE. It was my bad - If I had used a desktop profile, I probably wouldn't have stumbled into this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: