[solved] Error running Java: irrecoverable SI_KERNEL SIGSEGV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: [solved] Error running Java: irrecoverable SI_KERNEL SIGSEGV Reply with quote

Hello,

once again, I have a problem I cannot resolve by myself...

When I want to start some java application - even if it was just 'java -version' - I get:
Code:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  Internal Error (os_linux_x86.cpp:291), pid=5068, tid=0x8f4ffb40
#  fatal error: An irrecoverable SI_KERNEL SIGSEGV has occurred due to unstable signal handling in this distribution.
#
# JRE version:  (8.0_151-b12) (build )
# Java VM: OpenJDK Server VM (25.151-b12 mixed mode linux-x86 )
# Derivative: IcedTea 3.6.0
# Distribution: NAME=Gentoo, package Gentoo icedtea-3.6.0
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/test/hs_err_pid5068.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit:
#   http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
#

hs_err_pid5068.log is here: https://bpaste.net/show/7219f6f00655

This happens since I updated to gcc-7.3.0 and gentoo-sources-4.15.0. My java is: icedtea-bin-3.6.0 (which I re-emerged already without avail...).

What should I do?

Thanks!

Greetings out of a snowy Franconia!
Andy

Last edited by Lebkoungcity on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of note is:
Code:
Event: 0.432 Thread 0xb6f07400 Exception <a 'java/lang/NoSuchMethodError': Method sun.misc.Unsafe.defineClass(Ljava/lang/String;[BII)Ljava/lang/Class; name or signature does not match> (0x8fe06e90) thrown at [/var/tmp/notmpfs/portage/dev-java/icedtea-3.6.0/work/icedtea-3.6.0/openjdk/ho

Event: 0.433 Thread 0xb6f07400 Exception <a 'java/lang/NoSuchMethodError': Method sun.misc.Unsafe.prefetchRead(Ljava/lang/Object;J)V name or signature does not match> (0x8fe07160) thrown at [/var/tmp/notmpfs/portage/dev-java/icedtea-3.6.0/work/icedtea-3.6.0/openjdk/hotspot/src/share/vm
It seems like something from the build environment has been carried over into the installation. You may need to report this to the IcedTea/OpenJDK developers.

You mention java does not run, but can you build a normal IcedTea/OpenJDK installation?
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello R0b0t1,

no, yesterday I tried to emerge dev-java/icedtea-3.6.0 but it failed. (Maybe because there is no working java present on this system - I've read somewhere that it was needed for a successful emerge?)
Here is the build.log for dev-java/icedtea-3.6.0: https://bpaste.net/show/64f8271fc803

I'm not sure if some bits from the original build system would cause problems on my machine only. I have a feeling that it is linked to the new version of gcc - what makes me think in that direction is this part from the error report file hs_err_pid5068.log:
Code:
vm_info: OpenJDK Server VM (25.151-b12) for linux-x86 JRE (1.8.0_151-b12), built on Nov  3 2017 11:10:10 by "portage" with gcc 5.4.0

Might it be that such a build of icedtea is compatible with gcc-6.4.0-r1 but incompatible with gcc-7.3.0 (or with a kernel built with gcc-7.3.0)?
(But again: Why should this error just hit me and not others?)

Bye,
Andy
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I opened a bug for this:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=647954
Geneslaf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with oracle-jdk-bin on my x86 system.

My problem was improved optimisation by gcc-6.4 causing the use of SSE instructions in the glibc function dl_iterate_phdr. Oracle java called this function with the wrong stack alignment for the SSE instruction thus causing a SEGV. I worked around it by compiling that function disabling the use if sse instructions.

I would of thought that iced-bin would have been compiled with gcc so should be using what gcc considers to be the correct ABI (https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=40838) so would not have the same problem, but you never know.

You could check it out by running your java/javac or whatever in gdb and get a stack backtrace (bt) to see if its failing in a system library then see what instruction it is failing on (x/i $pc).
Lebkoungcity
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, dev-java/icedtea-bin-3.7.0 fixes this issue.
See:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/647954
:D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: