View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmprior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Lightdm login woes [resolved] Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am struggling with a problem when using lightdm as window manager. I have a dual monitor setup and nvidia
I have kde-plasma 5.11.5, lightdm 1.18.3-r1, systemd 236-r5 nvidia-driver 387.22 amd64
For some reason, lightdm is defaulting with user cp_test (user id 1002) rather than my usual user chris (user id 1000). I am able to login as user cp_test with plasma selected as the desktop. However, trying to use user chris fails - the login (greeter) screen flashes quickly and then returns to the login/password screen. This follows a problem I had with use chris yesterday when the desktop went awry (I lost control of windows, they appeared on the wrong screen and the menus bars were off the top of the screen an unresponsive for resize or move).

I have tried deleting .cache, and I have moved .config to .config.bak for user chris - but nothing seems to work. There are no entries in Xorg.0.Log that I can see.

Has anyone any thoughts on the next step to take to recover the normal desktop for user chris (I can login at a tty with no problem, so the user/password works fine).

EDIT If it is of any consequence, plasma-workspace-5.11.5-r1 was just updated when the problem occurred. /EDIT

I have a separate issue with sddm which I will post in another thread (which is why I am using lightdm at present)
Thanks

Chris

Last edited by cmprior on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
cmprior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update - no luck with lightdm but have now resolved issues with sddm, so have reverted to that. My regular user (chris) has no problem when using the re-installed sddm window manager, so the mystery of why lightdm and user chris does not work will remain a mystery.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: