Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Origin of the Term Fake News
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: The Origin of the Term Fake News Reply with quote

Sharyl Attkisson, one of the few journalists left in America uncovers the origins of the term "Fake News." And as one can well imagine it was a authoritarian leftist endeavor to silence and discredit reporting unfavorable to Crooked Hillary Clinton, and the Democrat party.

Quote:
Attkisson, who has studied the manipulative moneyed interests behind media industry, said, "few themes arise in our environment organically." She noted that she always found it helpful to "follow the money."
"What if the whole anti-fake news campaign was an effort on somebody's part to keep us from seeing or believing certain websites and stories by controversializing them or labeling them as fake news?" Attkisson posited.
Digging deeper, she discovered that Google was one of the big donors behind First Draft's "fake news" messaging. Google's parent company, she pointed out, is owned by Eric Schmidt, who happened to be a huge Hillary Clinton supporter.
Schmidt "offered himself up as a campaign adviser and became a top multi-million donor to it. His company funded First Draft around the start of the election cycle," Attkisson said. "Not surprisingly, Hillary was soon to jump aboard the anti-fake news train and her surrogate David Brock of Media Matters privately told donors he was the one who convinced Facebook to join the effort."


Much more in the ARTICLE.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Attkisson declared that "the whole thing smacked of the roll-out of a propaganda campaign," she said. Attkisson added, "But something happened that nobody expected. The anti-fake news campaign backfired. Each time advocates cried fake news, Donald Trump called them 'fake news' until he'd co-opted the term so completely that even those who [were] originally promoting it started running from it -- including the Washington Post," which she noted later backed away from using the term.

Attkisson called Trump's accomplishment a "hostile takeover" of the term and cautioned people to always be wary of "powerful interests might be trying to manipulate" their opinions.


Thank god Trump came along and saved us from powerful interests who might try to manipulate our opinions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharyl_Attkisson
Quote:
Later that year, her book Stonewalled: One Reporter's Fight for Truth Against the Forces of Obstruction, Intimidation, and Harassment in Obama's Washington (Harpers) was published.[7] In this work, she accused CBS of protecting the Obama administration by not giving enough coverage to such stories as the 2012 Benghazi attack

Yea, what is this Benghazi story? I really wish this were covered in the media, so I could have learned about it.


Snark aside, I do appreciate her investigation into the origins of the term Fake News. Control of information flow by Google and Facebook is something that we all should worry about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Thank god Trump came along and saved us from powerful interests who might try to manipulate our opinions.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

And Trump said "let there be light", and there was light.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has this got to do with Trump?

He must really be messing with your minds! :lol:

By the way richk, did you know that David Rhodes, the president of CBS News, is the brother of Obama White House staffer and adviser to the President, Ben Rhodes.

Gee, I wonder why, after all of her reporting, CBS News didn't renew Ms. Attkisson's contract.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
What has this got to do with Trump?

He must really be messing with your minds! :lol:
:(


I just quoted the article you posted.

Quote:
Gee, I wonder why, after all of her reporting, CBS News didn't renew Ms. Attkisson's contract.


She resigned before reaching the end of her contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I do appreciate her investigation into the origins of the term Fake News. Control of information flow by Google and Facebook is something that we all should worry about.
Not to be an alarmist, but the time for worry seems well in the past. Journalism needs to regain some integrity. With outsourcing and at least some news seeming to be auto generated, I wonder if economics has driven out the "quality" journalists who at least pretended to not be hardcore Democrats. Maybe their being out is an improvement.
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
richk449 wrote:
I do appreciate her investigation into the origins of the term Fake News. Control of information flow by Google and Facebook is something that we all should worry about.
Not to be an alarmist, but the time for worry seems well in the past. Journalism needs to regain some integrity. With outsourcing and at least some news seeming to be auto generated, I wonder if economics has driven out the "quality" journalists who at least pretended to not be hardcore Democrats. Maybe their being out is an improvement.

I don't have a problem finding solid journalism. The problem is that most people aren't interested in good journalism - they are interested in journalism that confirms their biases and makes them feel superior.

Facebook gave everyone the ability to see exactly the kind of journalism they wanted. Guess what most people chose?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. And that's part of why I've been railing critical of those companies. Mob rule is never a good idea, particularly when the mob is in an echo chamber (any mob, any echo chamber). And relatively small in number.
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 185

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake news or fake criticism of news? The latter enables the former.

None of this rights itself as long as the taboo against talking about (((who))) controls the media persists. It lords over this conversation like how the night robs us of daylight and with morning uncertain at best.
_________________
Today is the first day of the rest of your Gentoo installation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which control? Ideological, confirmation-bias, something else?
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 185

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Which control? Ideological, confirmation-bias, something else?

Ideological certainly as a payload, but to achieve/ensure that you'd be also looking at preserving that control, first by banning/shunning/ridiculing dissent, then by leveraging that control to achieve same in other domains thus consolidating power.

Which is a very bad idea.

Quote:
Our inability to engage the question only forces the discussion into subterranean and sometimes anti-Semitic territory.

_________________
Today is the first day of the rest of your Gentoo installation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing seems clear, that credible news cannot survive in a for profit driven model. But even that doesn't begin to address the problem of horrifying bias in reporting.
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokilli wrote:
pjp wrote:
Which control? Ideological, confirmation-bias, something else?

Ideological certainly as a payload, but to achieve/ensure that you'd be also looking at preserving that control, first by banning/shunning/ridiculing dissent, then by leveraging that control to achieve same in other domains thus consolidating power.

Which is a very bad idea.

Quote:
Our inability to engage the question only forces the discussion into subterranean and sometimes anti-Semitic territory.
Ahhh. It's all the fault of the Jews! Is that what you are saying?
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 25 Feb 2004
Posts: 185

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Ahhh. It's all the fault of the Jews! Is that what you are saying?

If by all you mean fake news? I'd say yes. You could certainly draw a straight line from the desire to exploit the media to promulgate an agenda to the rapidly deteriorating quality of our news today. Doesn't have to be Jew; any agenda works here. Do you dare publish the story which furthers the public interest if it alienates a powerful constituency that might otherwise be an ally?

This would work regardless of who it is that is working to monopolize the institution for their own ends. And to then exploit control over that institution to insulate yourself from accountability and transparency? That is monstrous in both intent and effect, and don't kid yourself, the latter will be keenly felt by coming generations of Jews.

Constantly getting hit over the head with this fucking history book. You'd think at some point more than a few of you would bother to read it.
_________________
Today is the first day of the rest of your Gentoo installation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 763
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I don't have a problem finding solid journalism. The problem is that most people aren't interested in good journalism - they are interested in journalism that confirms their biases and makes them feel superior.


It's I think it's one of the primary problems of the day. I see this with my friends and family who are overwhelmingly liberal (I am considered by far the most conservative in my group of friends). There is a huge problem of herd mentality with large groups of people in agreement on questions that have nothing to do with each other. It's odd that we can predict someone view on taxes given their view on abortion.

One stark example of this in the UK is Brexit. Very few people and news sources I feel give an honest assessment of the situation. The Guardian is overwhelmingly anti-Brexit, and the Telegraph is the opposite. Very few sources would I feel confident gives a balanced view. By that I don't mean that every side has merit, but literally I have to switch the channel to find any positive view on Brexit.

And the two groups don't talk. I basically don't know anyone who is pro-Brexit in a country that voted for it.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru


Joined: 08 Jan 2004
Posts: 445
Location: The Maldives

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Origin of the Term Fake News Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Sharyl Attkisson, one of the few journalists left in America uncovers the origins of the term "Fake News." And as one can well imagine it was a authoritarian leftist endeavor to silence and discredit reporting unfavorable to Crooked Hillary Clinton, and the Democrat party.


so, what is the news, is, that fakenews is used as a tool to accomplish manipulation?
Whom ever does it, it's the MSM. It's big brother and it's coming to stay a while. As far as I am concerned.
The goal is gun sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
richk449 wrote:
I don't have a problem finding solid journalism. The problem is that most people aren't interested in good journalism - they are interested in journalism that confirms their biases and makes them feel superior.


It's I think it's one of the primary problems of the day. I see this with my friends and family who are overwhelmingly liberal (I am considered by far the most conservative in my group of friends). There is a huge problem of herd mentality with large groups of people in agreement on questions that have nothing to do with each other. It's odd that we can predict someone view on taxes given their view on abortion.

One stark example of this in the UK is Brexit. Very few people and news sources I feel give an honest assessment of the situation. The Guardian is overwhelmingly anti-Brexit, and the Telegraph is the opposite. Very few sources would I feel confident gives a balanced view. By that I don't mean that every side has merit, but literally I have to switch the channel to find any positive view on Brexit.

And the two groups don't talk. I basically don't know anyone who is pro-Brexit in a country that voted for it.

Your friends are fucking morons. Brainwashed lemming propaganda victims who are incapable of independent reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dalu
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Jan 2003
Posts: 487

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is nazi crap like this even allowed on these forums?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Your friends are fucking morons. Brainwashed lemming propaganda victims who are incapable of independent reason.
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Please stop the personal attacks.


dalu wrote:
Why is nazi crap like this even allowed on these forums?
What "nazi" crap? Is the lower-case n intentional? Are you referring to the article at the politically progressive The Nation website?
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
dalu wrote:
Why is nazi crap like this even allowed on these forums?
What "nazi" crap? Is the lower-case n intentional? Are you referring to the article at the politically progressive The Nation website?
I would hope the post was tongue in cheek. That is how I took it.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell

It just keeps getting better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have an actual complaint, I wanted to make sure it is "heard."
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nazi - Hitler's fascist party.
nazi - Anything not agreed with.
_________________
Gun: Glock 19 Gen 4
Sights: XS DXT Big Dot
Holster: StealthGear VentCore IWB
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naib
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 5433
Location: Removed by Neddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudolf Hess, editor of mein kampf... Guess what sort of grammar quality checker he was
_________________
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter
Great Britain is a republic, with a hereditary president, while the United States is a monarchy with an elective king
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17342

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Rudolf Hess, editor of mein kampf... Guess what sort of grammar quality checker he was
Laissez-faire?
_________________
The whole system has to go. The modern criminal justice system is incompatible with Neuroscience. --Sapolsky
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1605
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
Your friends are fucking morons. Brainwashed lemming propaganda victims who are incapable of independent reason.
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Please stop the personal attacks.

What personal attack? I wasn't attacking anybody here. I was just agreeing with him in his clearly-stated criticism of his friends.

dalu wrote:
Why is nazi crap like this even allowed on these forums?

Now THERE is a personal attack. And the hypocrisy! So much the archetypal "Liberal Nazi"! I doubt he could find empathy with both hands and an empathy dowsing rod.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum