Planet Larry, blog aggregation for Gentoo users
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Planet Larry, blog aggregation for Gentoo users Reply with quote

Edit 2018-12-26: it turns out that the original Planet Larry is back online, please add your blog to that instead: == Admin edit: per Fitzcarraldo's post, this website stopped being maintained in 2019... it now has nothing to do with Gentoo. --pjp == http://larrythecow.com/
Edit: Topic was originally "Whatever happened to planet larry?".

No more user blog planet? Did I miss something?

Seems as though Planet Larry sort of vanished. That's a pity because I really enjoyed it. Hopefully some of you enjoyed it too, so I've bought the domain planetlarry.org again and put up a blog aggregator. If you write a blog and use Gentoo, you can go and add yourself to the feeds list (just send me a message)! For those who don't know Planet larry, basically it's Planet gentoo, but instead of blogs for developers, it's blogs for users. On the site you'll find an RSS feed link that you can add to your feed reader.

Go check it out: http://planetlarry.org/

I'm copying and pasting the original announcement thread by beandog (who perhaps has also disappeared). The original domain seems to be overrun with laptop ads, so hence the new domain :)

Quote:
A few devs have setup an unofficial Gentoo project, a planet feed of blogs of Gentoo users. The site is available online right now at http://www.planetlarry.org/

The idea is simple -- we already have Planet Gentoo and Gentoo Universe which pull in blogs from the developers, but we'd also like something that will give us a pulse on what you, the users, are up to.

So if you use Gentoo, blog about Gentoo, or think about Gentoo and have a blog, send your website address and name and we'll get you added right away. :)

Plus, the planet has an RSS feed of its own that you can subscribe to. Looking forward to getting you added. :)

Edit: You can e-mail me directly at beandog at gentoo dot org with questions or to get added

Edit: Just thought I'd address a few questions that have already come up ...

Do I have to be blogging about Gentoo?

No, anything you blog about is fine -- we just want an aggregation of Gentoo users's blogs.

Does it have to be in English?

Nope. If we get enough users, we'll setup planets for each language that we have a group of.

For instance, we have already setup one just for German-speaking bloggers: http://www.larrythecow.org/de/

I'm using <blogging system>. Does that work with Planet?

Planet Planet's backend is very versatile, and so far has managed to handle everything we've thrown at it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Do I have to submit just one category?

No, we want your entire feed. :)

What if I don't blog much?

It doesn't matter. Even if you post irregularly, we'd still like to pull it in. Some people only post once every few weeks or so. That's fine.

How do I get my blog listed?

Send me (beandog) a pm on the forums, and e-mail, or ping me on IRC on freenode. I just need your blog's website address (the XML feed if you know it, if not, dont worry about it), your first and last name, and your e-mail address. That's it!

We're hoping to get a lot of Gentoo users aggregated, so don't be shy! Also, this is a blog feed of *just* Gentoo users. No devs allowed.

Last edited by moult on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 am; edited 4 times in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the history but I don't think it was ever an official project. The announcement and discussion thread is pretty bare.

- John
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, given that the original planet larry sort of died, i've re-created it and updated the original post with the details. Exactly the same concept as the original planet larry, with slightly different domain name since the original is owned and run over by ads.

Check it out: http://planetlarry.org/
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New one looks good. :)

I handed off the larrythecow.org domain to another Gentoo user years ago since I lost interest in running / maintaining it, and he said he'd run with it. Dunno what happened after that. planetlarry.org is a much better name anyway.

What software is it running?
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's running moonmoon (https://github.com/moonmoon/moonmoon). I looked at all the planet software out there and most were heavily outdated. So I picked the most actively developed one (yes, despite it being run in PHP). Planets are pretty simple software anyhow.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moult wrote:
It's running moonmoon (https://github.com/moonmoon/moonmoon). I looked at all the planet software out there and most were heavily outdated. So I picked the most actively developed one (yes, despite it being run in PHP). Planets are pretty simple software anyhow.

What's your experience so far with it? Like it? Back in the day we hardly had any options, so it wasn't that fun.

Edit: that reminds me, I probably have the original CSS / design for the old larrythecow planet if you're interested in using it.
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found moonmoon to be delightedly simple to set up albeit having a slightly more traditional codebase. No complaints whatsoever.

Actually, I was going to retheme it to follow the gentoo.org style. I'll get around to it sometime in the coming weeks.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moult wrote:
Actually, I was going to retheme it to follow the gentoo.org style. I'll get around to it sometime in the coming weeks.

That's an even better idea. Partly because I don't have to do any work. :D
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm wondering now if it'd make more sense to pull from other sources ... Twitter comes to mind. I know there's a few devs on there that post stuff. Maybe even do a poll somewhere to see what platforms devs / users are posting to these days. (just an idea)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog wrote:
You know, I'm wondering now if it'd make more sense to pull from other sources ... Twitter comes to mind. I know there's a few devs on there that post stuff. Maybe even do a poll somewhere to see what platforms devs / users are posting to these days. (just an idea)
Just a comment: God no. ;-)

We do not need random fumblings on the keyboard; anyone who wants those can easily follow the dev in question on twitter, if they like what s/he posts on the blog.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okies, I found the .com domain just sitting there, so I snatched it up ...... found a snapshot of my site from *2010* and so I'm working on bringing it back online - see http://www.larrythecow.com

It's obviously super in "bring this dead cow back to life" mode, so ignore the stuff that doesn't work.

Send me your blogs until then and I can get them added and do tests on that. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet Larry has not been updated since 17 March 2019.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they should mirror each other?

Also need more active bloggers. fitzcarraldo would you like your blog to be added?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beandog's Planet Larry (http://www.larrythecow.com/) was not updated since March 2019 and is now offline, so I assume it is defunct. The only one that is currently available is moult's Planet Larry (https://planetlarry.org/). Confusing, or what?!

Anyway, my blog has recently been added to Dion Moult's Planet Larry. I hope that site remains up, as it can be interesting to see what other Gentoo users are blogging about.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: