Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will Linux bridge with tap networking work on a WIFI device?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Will Linux bridge with tap networking work on a WIFI device? Reply with quote

I have moved into a new apartment and my cable internet is in a different room than my PC. I am going to have to hook my PC with wifi.

I use my Gentoo system as KVM server using a linux bridge.

My question is...
1) Can I assign a static ip to my wifi device based on the mac address in my router? This is how I did it with my ethernet device
2) Will the linux bridge with tap networking work when the device is a wifi?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since doing things like this depends on your wireless solution/router, not enough information is provided. My guess is that most wireless routers will not pass public IPs to your wireless and thus you will need to do things with your router/wireless to enable what you want. You may even need to use an external wireless router that's used in AP/bridge mode versus router mode.

You can always set your machines to a "static" but local address, but again without a public address, you'll need to do port routing/reverse NAT. Hence confusion.

So need clarification here... and likely nothing you can do on the Linux side. On the bright side, it is possible to bridge a wifi just fine, but you still need to assign an IP address and likely if you're using ISP provided equipment, you have to assign a private address whether it be static or not.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends what kind of networking you're using for your guests. Wireless devices generally will only allow traffic from one source MAC address to be transmitted, which means that your KVM guests can't be bridged directly into the local network when using wireless. You can NAT them, but NAT is ugly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: