On the river LKML
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: On the river LKML Reply with quote

A thread for notable Linux kernel happenings seemed worthwhile.

[PATCH] Allow automatic kernel taint on unsigned module load to be disabled
Quote:
Sorry, that's way too vague to accept this patch.

No idea for whom the author works, but in 2011 there was also this:
Quote:
A day after Red Hat's Matthew Garrett published a Linux kernel patch to solve the ASPM power regression by more closely mimicking the Active State Power Management behavior of Microsoft Windows, he's published more Linux patches to mimic the Windows power management...

I'm amazed anyone thinks positively of RH.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like how RH decides to force the world of Linux down its own weird paths.

Systemd shovelware being a typical example.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
erm67
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the appeal of the strongman, they're so mighty and powerful that everybody bows to them ....
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Windows has good power management?
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it does. Doesn't mean it translates well to Linux. And it doesn't explain the shady approach to removing identification of kernel taint.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
it doesn't explain the shady approach to removing identification of kernel taint.

i would agree with you, except that even looking at the kernel funny registers it as tainted.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just basing that off the responses to request for patch approval.

I then found the other reference to see if there was reason to question the patch motivation (I was thinking Intel employee, just because of the recent issues, and then Nvidia due to the blobs, and then TLAs due to the loss of their exploits, ...).
erm67
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately comments on the internet in general are no longer usable as a source of information. Unless you are taking part to the discussion and "know" the posters it is impossible to understand whether the comment was made by someone with knowledge in the matter or it was just a troll or some hopelessly delusional person venting their anger with useless delirant comments. Empathically judging comments most of the times leads to the wrong conclusion, if it sounds convincing even if you don't know exactly what it means it is probably wrong.
Trolls destroyed the commenting system used by most internet web sites, better not read them at all or consider them garbage until proven correct.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-Battery-Numbers-2018

Why you think that it is possible (and reaonable) that the developer works secretly for Microsoft and instead it is abolutely impossible that the person that leaved the comment is an "influencer" that secretly works for Microsoft?
I am curious, what makes you trust an anonymous comment?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secretly? :lol:

Wait.

:lol: :lol:

LKML questioning the submission is good enough for me. MS is irrelevant. Looking at his employment history on wikipedia doesn't help your point. RH, CoreOS (bought by RH), Canonical and now Google. In case that isn't clear, they're not "better" than MS.
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be sensitive to the fact that Redhat has customers it needs to support, customers who may not have the same kind of experience so many of you have here in Gentoo.

And it is after all a logical extension of the kind of things we take for granted even here. Look at your alsa config, or udev, or your keyboard mappings, or any of a dozen other such systems. Sure, there's the tiny little portion you've edited yourself, but it sits atop a mountain of nearly incomprehensible configuration that's there to let the 99% get by making only tiny little config changes. There's a little bit of Redhat in everything.

But watch out if you're part of the 1% for whom the canned configs don't work. Now you've got to understand all of it to get any of it to work.

Really, it applies to almost everything in software. In my career I've learned to eschew canned solutions or class libraries or we-do-it-all-for-you IDEs (save of course for emacs) because the experience has been I meet early milestones using that shit but the last mile is a son of a bitch because at some point the product or the abstraction itself fails the goal.

But as I get older, and time is less and less on my side, I am more willing to compromise. Not too long ago I got fed up trying to get my fucking Nvidia card to work on Gentoo for an older MacBook so in a fit of desperation I put Fedora on there. And it worked! But I actually felt a pang of guilt, of defeat in resorting to that.

The whole JavaScript thing pretty much just passed me by, but now I have a need to do a webpage. The space today is truly immense. So I hold my nose and grab on to a we-do-it-all-for-you framework. Picked Angular. Now I know what it feels like to simultaneously experience awe and terror.

I have to wonder if one day Ubuntu won't be what I'll be booting into. Firefox under WINE. systemd will have swallowed the kernel. The thinking is that complexity will always win.

I should have just become a musician. Guitars today are mostly exactly the way they were when I was a kid.
erm67
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
RH, CoreOS (bought by RH), Canonical and now Google. In case that isn't clear, they're not "better" than MS.

At least they deliver, what did the other camp produce for the community apart from noise? I would prefer to get rid of all the people with a big mouth on a small head only posting useless comments.
Right now if they are good at doing things they got hired. If they don't work for big corp it's because they are not good enough.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:
I would prefer to get rid of all the people with a big mouth on a small head only posting useless comments.

erm67 wrote:
If they don't work for big corp it's because they are not good enough.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the modern calculus of disruptive changes means
sometimes we simply step over the broken paving stones instead of
repairing them.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: