Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best way to delay a service under OpenRC (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Best way to delay a service under OpenRC (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering what the recommended way to have a specific service wait for the use of another service under OpenRC... basically I want to use my network connection (network manager) as the triggering situation for another service (MPD server) to run. this is because I want a headless server that will only play when it is connected to the internet.

How might I do this? Does it involve programming any runlevels?

I could look again to see if the software MPD has anything that I am missing in terms of this functionality (of waiting for network connectvity).

Any suggestions?

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably looking for https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Dependency_behavior .
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
You're probably looking for https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Dependency_behavior .
remark: for DHCP (well, it is a server) however the config of DHCP should be configured to return "ok" after an IP address was leased, not immediately after starting to request it.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a cron job that starts every minute, checks the network connection and start or stops your MPD server if required.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make an initscript that test network and wait for answer, and make mpd depends on it.

Code:
#!/sbin/openrc-run
# Copyright 1999-2011 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

depend() {
   need net
}

ping_check() {
   ping -c1 google.com >/dev/null
        rc=$?
}

start() {
   ping_check;
   while [ ${rc} -ne 0 ]; do
      sleep 60
      ping_check;
      done;
   return 0
}
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
What about a cron job that starts every minute, checks the network connection and start or stops your MPD server if required.
While that could work, if you want to go the inefficient polling route, why not go all out? Instead of a cron job that runs once a minute, use a job that spins the CPU polling continuously to see if the system is in the right state. ;)

On a more serious note, this seems like an ideal use case for the DHCP client notification hooks. If you use dhcpcd to acquire/release addresses, it has hooks that seem like they should work. See man dhcpcd section Hooking into events. If you use some other software to acquire addresses, you should consult its documentation to see if it has equivalent capabilities.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Network manager, not sure if that makes this a bit more challenging or not? But I would like to try with the the approach mentioned of using a hook for the networking event, as Hu's solution mentioned. However, based on the specific tool used for acquiring addresses from the dhcp server I am not sure where to begin.

I did find this, by checking online... https://superuser.com/questions/114099/add-a-hook-to-run-when-networkmanager-connects

Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the other suggestions, as my post said about OpenRC script, so that I may have not been completely thorough in weighing the possible solutions and thanks to Hu for helping to point me back towards the most basic of solutions that makes use of the system network events.

I read all the other solutions, including krinn's init script which is cool, I like it. however I am afraid it may not suffice but not because of anything in there. Just because the problem isn't as well defined yet, and that could be due to my not having tried other possible solutions at this time.

Thank you all for the help!
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetworkManager can use dhcpcd as backend. Then, you could use dhcpcd hooks, I guess.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to set that up?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hooks for network manager or dhcpcd are pretty similar, I've used both in the past. (My computer at work uses network manager, my home machines don't.) One advantage of using the network manager hooks is that you can trigger off of a VPN as well as a hardware interface.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved. Worked great hooking in to the network service providing the extra benefit of specifying the interface as well!!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: