View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Plasma 5.11.5 Leave->Switch user doesn't work Reply with quote

Running a KDE Plasma desktop, the Application Launcher's "Leave" tab contains Session options "Lock", "Logout" and "Switch User". Choosing "Switch user" brings up a Breeze screen that contains the time, date, a big plus sign in a circle labelled "New session", and two buttons Cancel and Switch.

I used to be able to start a new KDE Desktiop under a different userid, and switch between them using this panel. I can't quite recall how it worked.
I think with only one session running, I simply clicked on "New session", or perhaps "Switch user", and got an sddm login screen for the new session.
With two sessions running, I think the got a choice of the "New session", or an icon for the other session, and could click on one or the other, and hit "Switch user" to either start yet another(never tried that) or switch to the other.

I'm now at Plasma 5.11.5, and clicking on New session does nothing. Cancel and Switch user both return me to my current desktop. I can drag the "New session" icon left and right, as if there could be icons for other sessions, but nothing useful happens.

Googling throws up lots of people with slightly different problems that are totally irrelevant as far as I can tell, and an instance of a problem in UserDelegate.qml back in Plasma 5.11.1, but the patch referred to in that is in 5.11.5, as you'd hope! That fix was in
/usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze/components/UserDelegate.qml, which is an identical file to
/usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breeze.desktop/contents/components/UserDelegate.qml

Digging some more, it looks like it might be something wrong with
/usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breeze.desktop/contents/userswitcher/UserSwitcher.qml
but I don't know how to debug qml.

Looking at Plasmashell bug 335708, I might be missing a file
/usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.breeze.desktop/contents/components/UserSelect.qml
However, creating one from that bug doesn't appear to fix it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a regression with consolekit support. The best solution imo is to switch to elogind. We recently stabilised it, and are going to make it the default for Plasma soon.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally convinced that ConsoleKit's involved; there's nothing in /var/log/ConsoleKit/history after my initial logon.
The trouble with all this damned Plasma stuff is it appears to leave no trace - literally - when it goes wrong.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is based on multiple similar cases.
schnitten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: User Switcher not working Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post was originally its own thread, but both asturm and fedeliallalinea reported it as a duplicate of this thread. It has been merged here to keep the solutions together. -Hu]

Hi,

I was using the User Switcher widget for years now. After one of the recent emerge @world updates it is broken. The widget itself is still visible, but with my main user I cannot create a new session anymore. When selected, simply nothing happens. 'Lock Screen' and 'Leave' do work normally.

Are there any logs where I might dig into?

thanks
Christian

Code:
emerge --info
Portage 2.3.19 (python 3.5.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma, gcc-6.4.0, glibc-2.25-r9, 4.12.5-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.12.5-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-4440_CPU_@_3.10GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:     8114948 total,   6185632 free                                                                                                                                                   
KiB Swap:   15730908 total,  15730908 free                                                                                                                                                   
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 07:00:01 +0000                                                                                                                             
Head commit of repository gentoo: d2fa0efd4c23a0131cea1b5e7f8e850104079426                                                                                                                   
sh bash 4.4_p12                                                                                                                                                                             
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1                                                                                                                                                         
distcc 3.2rc1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]                                                                                                                                                 
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
dev-java/java-config:     2.2.0-r3::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.3::gentoo                                                                                                                                                     
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo                                                                                                                               
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo                                                                                                                                                     
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo                                                                                                                                                     
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.12::gentoo                                                                                                                                                       
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo                                                                                                                                     
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r2::gentoo, 1.15.1-r1::gentoo                                                                                                                               
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo                                                                                                                                                 
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo                                                                                                                                                     
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo                                                                                                                                                     
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)                                                                                                                                 
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r9::gentoo                                                                                                                                                   
Repositories:                                                                                                                                                                               

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /usr/share/maven-bin-3.3/conf /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--autounmask-write"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="de_DE.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en en_GB de"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa alsa-plugin amd64 app berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdr cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif f2fs fam fat flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm grub gtk iconv imagemagick ipv6 jce jpeg kde kdesu kipi kwallet lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mtp multilib ncurses nfs nls nping nptl ntfs nvidia ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt3support qt5 readline redeyes samba scanner sdl seccomp semantic-desktop spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vdpau video vorbis widevine widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xml xv xvid xvmc zenmap zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="canon ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="en-GB de" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22 ruby23" SANE_BACKENDS="hp3500" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nouveau" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read them :-) Don't like all the kernel changes to implement another bleeding (and possibly infectious) hunk hacked out of systemd. That's not to disparage the guys doing the hacking; it is to disparage systemd, of course.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually decided to try elogind.

First of all, it works! Thanks asturm, I can now start another session logged in as another user, which is exactly what I wanted.

Second, I can now run KDE Plasma/Wayland sessions instead of Plasma/X. OK, Wayland is a bit fragile and has a few missing bits, but it's nice to ba able to play with it. Using ConsoleKit Wayland just gave a blank screen after login.

Third, the Gentoo wiki entry makes switching to elogind look far more complicated than it needs to. I needed no changes to my kernel; as far as I can see, the "Configure standard kernel features (expert users)" settings are standard (at least they are on my AMD64 box), and elogind appears to work without "Enable different security models->Simplified Mandatory Access Control Kernel Support". OK, the wiki entry says "recommended" rather than "required", but it seems a lot of faff for no benefit.

I hit a minor issue removing ConsoleKit, some bit of antique KDE had left a hanging USE="qt4" that dragged it in, I don't recall what, but emerging without the qt4 requirement let depclean remove ConsoleKit.

Should I edit the wiki entry, or do people know of reasons to leave the intimidating kernel changes?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: