Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
java questions (regarding makemkv Bluray rips)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: java questions (regarding makemkv Bluray rips) Reply with quote

edit: Updated subject (parenthesizing goal).

Code:
# emerge -pv dev-java/oracle-jre-bin

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-eselect/eselect-java-0.3.0::gentoo  14 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/baselayout-java-0.1.0::gentoo  71 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-java/java-config-2.2.0-r3:2::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6" 51 KiB
[ebuild  N F   ] dev-java/oracle-jre-bin-1.8.0.152-r1:1.8::gentoo  USE="alsa cups fontconfig -commercial -headless-awt -javafx -jce -nsplugin (-selinux)" 78,185 KiB

Total: 4 packages (4 new), Size of downloads: 78,320 KiB
Fetch Restriction: 1 package (1 unsatisfied)

Fetch instructions for dev-java/oracle-jre-bin-1.8.0.152-r1:
 * Please download 'jre-8u152-linux-x64.tar.gz' from:
 * 'http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html'
 * and move it to '/usr/portage/distfiles'
 * If the above mentioned urls do not point to the correct version anymore,
 * please download the files from Oracle's java download archive:
 *    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html#jre-8u152-oth-JPR

'jre-8u152-linux-x64.tar.gz' is available from the 'archive' url if you are willing to create an account. Passing on this option for the moment I wondered if dev-java/icedtea (or dev-java/icedtea-bin) might suffice.. icedtea provides a JRE, yes?

I thought I was done with java but..

Code:
Some discs employ a so-called Fake Playlists protection. Instead of a single movie the disc contains dozens of copies of the movie with scenes present in random order. Only single copy is a valid one. The Java program on the disc selects a correct playlist, and MakeMKV needs Java runtime in order to run the program on the disc. If Java runtime is missing, the disc will be opened, but many fake titles will be present.

Thanks,

shrike

Last edited by shrike on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you if anything other than Oracle Java will run that java app, you can try.

FWIW if you do anything with BluRay then you're using Java whether you know it or not. Given the amount of penetration in embedded devices, we're almost certainly not done with Java in the next 5 years, probably much more.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the 'many fake titles' problem on a few discs. My solution was to play the bluray in vlc, and look at what segments were played with lsof, and finding the matching title in MakeMKV to get the correct playlist.
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue,

Quote:
I can't tell you if anything other than Oracle Java will run that java app, you can try.

FWIW if you do anything with BluRay then you're using Java whether you know it or not. Given the amount of penetration in embedded devices, we're almost certainly not done with Java in the next 5 years, probably much more.

I didn't know.. makemkv.com mentioned it too. Thanks. I installed icedtea-bin (negating several use flags else makemkv freezes) then diff'ed before/after rips; oddly it was the .m2ts files that changed not the .mpls files.

arnvidr,

Quote:
I ran into the 'many fake titles' problem on a few discs. My solution was to play the bluray in vlc, and look at what segments were played with lsof, and finding the matching title in MakeMKV to get the correct playlist.

Yes, 'many fake titles' (or main title split into many smaller files.). My attempts to play the Bluray disc with mplayer have failed so far (mplayer br:// -bluray-device /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PIONEER_BD-RW_BDR-XD05_1956012410900045-0:0). I have not had vlc for a while but give it a try. Thanks.

Moderator: As this thread is veering from 'Portage & Programming' I have no objection to its being moved to another category.

Thanks.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Multimedia as shrike hinted.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: java questions (regarding makemkv Bluray rips) Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
Code:
Some discs employ a so-called Fake Playlists protection. Instead of a single movie the disc contains dozens of copies of the movie with scenes present in random order. Only single copy is a valid one. The Java program on the disc selects a correct playlist, and MakeMKV needs Java runtime in order to run the program on the disc. If Java runtime is missing, the disc will be opened, but many fake titles will be present.

Thanks,

shrike

Does this mean that I could watch Pulp Fiction and one of the movies might actually play the scenes in chronological order?
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: java questions (regarding makemkv Bluray rips) Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this mean that I could watch Pulp Fiction and one of the movies might actually play the scenes in chronological order?

I think that is correct but it is a cat and mouse game. As new Bluray discs are released (or reissued) there may be changes in the protection scheme. Makemkv devs receive feedback from users about problem discs which are addressed and included in the next update. As to what s/w player would work I can't say.. my attempts to play my Bluray disc with VLC are still unsuccessful. Next idea is to try a live DVD..

Here's a link to the full text about fake playlists:

http://www.makemkv.com/bdjava/

shrike
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: java questions (regarding makemkv Bluray rips) Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
As to what s/w player would work I can't say.. my attempts to play my Bluray disc with VLC are still unsuccessful.
No idea why this is different from DVDs to BDs, but if I remember correctly I had to mount the BD before it would play.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr,

Correct. DVDs have a fake filesystem that is not used for DVD playback.
Like Audio CDs, they are played using a block list.

Bluray uses strong encryption. Since no Linux Bluray player has a player key, you need the disk key to play a Bluray on Linux.

beandog knows more.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr,

I did not know that VLC needed the bluray disc mounted first. Coincidentally, I did mount a Bluray disc to test the 'list_titles' command but it and other commands (ls, bluray_info) resulted in i/o errors:

Code:
Jan 30 14:41:44 nehalem kernel: UDF-fs: INFO Mounting volume 'STAR_TREK_S1D1', timestamp 2009/02/25 19:03 (1ed4)
Jan 30 14:43:31 nehalem kernel: UDF-fs: error (device sr1): udf_read_tagged: read failed, block=330, location=10
Jan 30 14:43:31 nehalem kernel: UDF-fs: error (device sr1): udf_read_inode: (ino 330) failed !bh
Jan 30 14:43:31 nehalem kernel: UDF-fs: error (device sr1): udf_read_tagged: read failed, block=739, location=419

Now though, the drive is exhibiting failure symptoms and no disc is recognized. It has seen much use over the past week; I ripped over 20 discs.

BTW, makemkv forum has a post about using their decrypt library for VLC playback: https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7009 Five yrs old though.

NeddySeagoon,

I did read that stickied Bluray thread above.

Ant P.'s Comment:

Quote:
AFAIK the only practical option for Blu-Ray — if you want to stay morally clean — remains to buy a physical disc, ignore it, and pirate a copy that actually works. There's already good infrastructure for this setup because even 100% legit windows users get shafted by HDCP and the like.

Interesting thread all around.

Thanks all,

shrike
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT to the only practical option for Blu-Ray, I can think of one other.

I bought mine to make portable backups of databases which would not fit on other similar media. In that case you just have a 50GiB CDRW.

I doubt this brings you comfort based on the content of this thread though.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
arnvidr,

Correct. DVDs have a fake filesystem that is not used for DVD playback.
Like Audio CDs, they are played using a block list.

Bluray uses strong encryption. Since no Linux Bluray player has a player key, you need the disk key to play a Bluray on Linux.

beandog knows more.

I've been summoned.

You don't need to mount a disc to play it (just like you don't need to mount a DVD, either). You *could* if you wanted to, if you were pinging it a lot since it'll cache some filesystem reads.

Anyhoo. VLC, mplayer, mpv, etc. all use the libaacs library to override the protection and get access directly to the titles -- similar to libdvdcss for DVDs.

Finding the correct title is a bit weird because the discs have both a playlist and a title number. Not impossible, just makes it a bit more work to find.

Check out bluray_info in portage which will say what tracks are on there or the latest in github has bluray_copy to copy titles straight off.

Also see this other sticky about Blu-ray.

For ones that are super duper pain in the pooty though, just use MakeMKV gui app or makemkvcon for CLI. Either way, it'll work.
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put this under the heading 'How could I not know this'.

So while browsing through a makemkv rip one file caught my attention;

Code:
$ l -Gg /mnt/buffalo/Media/Bluray/Elysium/BDMV/
total 112K
drwxr-xr-x 1  142 Jan 21 23:44 .
drwxr-xr-x 1  110 Jan 21 23:44 ..
drwxr-xr-x 1   64 Jan 21 23:38 AUXDATA
drwxr-xr-x 1   96 Jan 21 23:38 BACKUP
drwxr-xr-x 1   80 Jan 21 23:38 BDJO
drwxr-xr-x 1 3.8K Jan 21 23:38 CLIPINF
-rw-r--r-- 1  720 Nov 17 15:47 index.bdmv
drwxr-xr-x 1  146 Jan 21 23:38 JAR
drwxr-xr-x 1   12 Jan 21 23:38 META
-rw-r--r-- 1 105K Nov 17 15:47 MovieObject.bdmv
drwxr-xr-x 1 4.0K Jan 21 23:44 PLAYLIST
drwxr-xr-x 1 3.8K Jan 21 23:41 STREAM

Thunar says MovieObject.bdmv is a mpeg2 stream file but at 100K it seemed a waste of time. Anyway, I opened the file with mpv and omg; the whole movie started. More importantly, MovieObject.bdmv, present on every Bluray I have ripped, seems to be the elusive playlist file to stream randomly ordered mt2s files. I have a few titles with that issue but it is not a problem now, the movie plays seamlessly.

For episodic Blurays only the last episode is played using MovieObject.bdmv.

WRT icedtea-bin, makemkv will freeze if multilib is off (the default). Also, MovieObject.bdmv is present in all makemkv rips, with or without java (icedtea).

And it was the wall_wart failing, not my Bluray drive (Yeah!)

Ugh! My driveway has that white stuff again..

Thanks.
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
And it was the wall_wart failing, not my Bluray drive (Yeah!)

That's good to know, I was wondering about that one. I'd heard of DVD drives locking up loooong ago because of CSS decryption, but never a Blu-ray drive doing that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: