Waterfox ebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Waterfox ebuild? Reply with quote

Mozilla seems to be hell-bent on turning Firefox into a steaming pile of 狗屎, and the end-of-life date of 52.x ESR is fast approaching, so I've been looking for alternatives. From what I've been able to find, Waterfox seems to be the only fork of Firefox that is planning to keep XUL extensions around¹, so I was hoping somebody had an ebuild for it. I've found a few ebuilds for the precompiled binary, but I'd very much prefer a source version. If nobody has one, I'll probably try to cobble one together myself at some point, but I figured I'd ask first before I take on more work than I can use at the moment.

Cheers.

¹The extreme flexibility of XUL extensions is pretty much the selling point of Firefox for me, and Web Extensions can't hold a candle to XUL ones.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everything Firefox and Chromium related seem like a lot of work for non-dev individuals to do. I would start by downloading sources for Waterfox and an earlier Firefox, and diff the source. Then grab the ebuild for old Firefox and make modifications, and hope that it compiles. I also think you need an older version of mozconf.eclass (not sure of the exact name, but you get the idea).

I once looked at starting to use Waterfox, but it seemed like it was maintained by one guy and I dont trust any single human can keep up with a corporate team. So I settled with https://github.com/perfect7gentleman/pg_overlay/tree/master/www-client/firefox and privacy patches from there. He doesnt keep older versions around though...

What about Palemoon by the way, dont they still have XUL extensions working?
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
doesnt keep older versions around though..?

No, I don't. It;s hard to maintain software which I don't use.
Anyway, there is palemoon overlay for oldfags.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that palemoon is planning to keep legacy extensions alive.
Actually, this is one of the reasons why I dropped palemoon and would also not recommend firefox: Not that I dislike legacy extensions, but if a thing with so many internal consequences is no longer supported upstream, you can bet that it cannot be kept in a way that security problems are closed timely unless huge resources are available (which are neither for palemoon nor for waterfox, compared to firefox).
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll check out Pale Moon first, then. I recall there being a somewhat toxic attitude towards Linux (especially to those who want to compile from source) when I first heard about it, but it looks like they've come round.

mv wrote:
Actually, this is one of the reasons why I dropped palemoon and would also not recommend firefox: Not that I dislike legacy extensions, but if a thing with so many internal consequences is no longer supported upstream, you can bet that it cannot be kept in a way that security problems are closed timely unless huge resources are available (which are neither for palemoon nor for waterfox, compared to firefox).
True, but the primary attack vector is usually JavaScript, and I run plenty of extensions to block most of that (NoScript, uBlock Origin in Hard mode, uMatrix) and tend not to visit particularly dodgy websites, so I'm not extremely worried about that.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a waterfox ebuild to my overlay (poly-c overlay). It's far from perfect and I'm quite sure some of the USE flags don't work or even break the build but I'd appreciate testing and feedback.

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: