Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
optimized Apple PPC kernel .config for 4.9.x series?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reesm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: optimized Apple PPC kernel .config for 4.9.x series? Reply with quote

Has anybody made an optimized kernel .config as the subject states? I would prefer something that has only the options enabled for Apple Mac G4 systems.

I primarily run a rack of around a dozen XServes, a Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz and a pair of Quicksilver G4's, all with G4/7450 CPUs. So if you have a similar .config that will work, please help me out!

I am hoping to save time in configuring my kernel for PowerPC systems. There are a gazillion options, and most are unselected when starting a fresh install.

Background:
It's been many years since I've used Gentoo because of the extraordinary time I spent emerging instead of using my computers. However, since may distros are dropping PPC support (or even 32 bits!) I feel like Gentoo is one of the last great options. OpenBSD is another, but it's different enough that I don't feel like learning it yet.
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 4.9.11 config from a G3.
reesm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That helped me a lot. I used that plus the install disc's /proc/config.gz file to come up with something that boots.

Once I finish testing my kernel on my various machines, including getting the serial console on my Xserve's tested, I will try and remember to come back here and share it.
schwarzygesetzlos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got your Powerbook G4 up and running, I would be very interested in your kernel .config! :wink: I plan to put Gentoo on mine in the next 1-2 month or so.

For a very well refined G5 kernel you can have a look at my forum thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1055626.html
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Kernel Config - G4 Mac Mini Kernel 4.15.0 Reply with quote

Mac Mini G4 - Not fully tested, but seems like a start.

We boot ok. Drivers and file systems seem to load.

GCC 7.2.0, current Gentoo userland, Gentoo-Sources 4.15.0 , but still the old 13 profile. Switching to current Gentoo, Profile 17, is next step...

GCC Plugins for kernel data-structure sanitization crash, but all the other security-hardening Config Options seem ok.

Download a current copy of my config at
https://watersb.org/_transfer/config.gz

Many thanks to drobbins and his Funtoo Hosting. My website is not all that, another to-do item...

Did I mention this is unstable, still testing? Be careful out there :-)
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel Config - G4 Mac Mini Kernel 4.15.0 Reply with quote

watersb wrote:

GCC Plugins for kernel data-structure sanitization crash, but all the other security-hardening Config Options seem ok.[/b]

UPDATE:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10054245/
I applied this patch, and just booted OK with these options:

Code:
CONFIG_HAVE_GCC_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS=y
# CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY is not set
# CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_STRUCTLEAK is not set
CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_RANDSTRUCT=y
CONFIG_GCC_PLUGIN_RANDSTRUCT_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR is not set
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT