Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

A hotel has banned YouTubers and Instagram stars - after a 22-year-old YouTuber asked for a five-night free stay and broke down in tears when she was bluntly refused

Quote:
The issue started when Elle Darby, a UK-based social media influencer, with 87,000 YouTube subscribers and 76,000 Instagram followers, reached out to the owner of The White Moose Café, Paul Stenson, asking if he was interested in a “possible collaboration.”

In an email to the Dublin hotel, Darby wrote: “I work as a social media influencer, mainly lifestyle, beauty & travel based."

Darby then included her social media reach before continuing:

“My partner and I are planning to come to Dublin for an early Valentine’s Day weekend from Feb 8th to 12th to explore the area.
“As I was searching for places to stay, I came across your stunning hotel and would love to feature you in my YouTube videos/dedicated Instagram stories/posts to bring traffic to your hotel and recommend others to book up in return for free accommodation.”

Quote:
Stenson responded to Darby’s request, publicly, on The White Moose Cafe Facebook page - in a message that read:

“Dear Social Influencer (I know your name but apparently it’s not important to use names),

“Thank you for your email looking for free accommodation in return for exposure. It takes a lot of balls to send an email like that, if not much self-respect and dignity.

“If I let you stay here in return for a feature in a video, who is going to pay the staff who look after you? Who is going to pay the housekeepers who clean your room?

“The waiters who serve you breakfast? The receptionist who checks you in? Who is going to pay for the light and heat you use during your stay?

Continuing, Stenson asks: “Maybe I should tell my staff they will be featured in your video in lieu of receiving payment for work carried out while you’re in residence?”

The message concludes: “P.S. The answer is no.”

Quote:
The negative backlash eventually led Darby to upload a YouTube video responding to the controversy, in which she breaks down from the embarrassment, anger, and humiliation she felt.

I think that face, she got for free as well.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“If I let you stay here in return for a feature in a video, who is going to pay
Snowflakes aside, I think Stenson's confused about how business works. He/she can certainly decide it isn't a good business decision, but "exposure" theoretically pays for it. Kind of how advertising and marketing doesn't pay for x, y & z.
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Quote:
“If I let you stay here in return for a feature in a video, who is going to pay
Snowflakes aside, I think Stenson's confused about how business works. He/she can certainly decide it isn't a good business decision, but "exposure" theoretically pays for it. Kind of how advertising and marketing doesn't pay for x, y & z.

Theoretically, yes.
In practice, "exposure" by unknown 22 y.o. duckface would most probably attract more freebie-loving leeches. Also, she's a whore who are ready to write (?) positive opinions as long as she gets free stuff. How many people regard her "opinion" as legit? And how deep her review would be?

Last edited by Koala Kid on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck is a "Social Media Influencer" and how does it actually generate wealth.
Also looking at the 2nd video " I was exposed (SO embarrassing)" she has a serious case of red-eye. She needs to lay off the facials

--edit--
Essentially she is after free stuff because "of the exposure her blogs provide". Her definition of "free review" is significantly distorted as there is monetary value to what she is expecting. Now whether this "advertisement" is worth freeloading is up to the business in question
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of social media is celebrity endorsement? Seems like that is (or was) a primary purpose of social media for some celebrities. This really isn't a new concept. Not much different than brand X paying celebrity Y to endorse a product.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she were tying to get a free tan from some Geordie Shore tanning Salon, it would make sense. That seems to be her niche market. But a nice place like The White Moose Café probably wouldn't recoup a single shilling from her "influence".

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize there were moose in that part of the world.

It just keeps getting better
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
But a nice place like The White Moose Café probably wouldn't recoup a single shilling from her "influence".
I was just commenting on their feigned ignorance of a response. I have no problem with them saying no, or even just laughing at her, etc.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Muso wrote:
But a nice place like The White Moose Café probably wouldn't recoup a single shilling from her "influence".
I was just commenting on their feigned ignorance of a response. I have no problem with them saying no, or even just laughing at her, etc.
Yer, that's the other side of this. A simple no thankyou would have done so there must be something else that triggered this moose owner.

This vLogger getting triggered is the other side and well... Being a narcissist is neither a job nor does it produce wealth. Now if others believe they can make use of her talking around their product then sure BUT it in itself does not. " Takes effort to build a following". I am sure it does but you end up having like-minded individuals "following" you which means you just create an echo chamber void of critical thinking because you do not risk offending
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 2

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/hotel-sends-shamed-blogger-massive-11894263
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Round 2

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/uk-ireland/hotel-sends-shamed-blogger-massive-11894263

I love this guy!

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Round 2

Which demonstrates that he knew exactly what her request was about. Funny.

But holy crap... 23% VAT? What "value"?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23% is the standard rate in Ireland.
I hope UK can go back to 17.5%
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this guy is also fond of free stuff...
Cafe Mocks Photographer Who Asked That Stolen Photo Be Taken Down

Quote:
Back on August 12, the The White Moose Café posted a tongue-in-cheek post on Facebook about its “Bring Your Own Boob” policy, a €5 corkage charge for bringing your own breastmilk to breastfeed babies in the cafe — a joke, of course.

However, included in the post was a photo published by Brooklyn-based photographer Melina McGrew McConnaughy and used without McConnaughy’s knowledge or permission. McConnaughy then sent the cafe a private message, explaining that the photo is copyrighted and requesting that it be deleted from the post.

Quote:
Instead of deleting the photo and post (which has gotten over 3,900 Likes on Facebook), White Moose Café today published McConnaughy’s message and a public response to her request. In a mocking tone, the cafe explained why she should be content with receiving a credit added to the original post.
“I am so silly. I thought that any images that are on Google, already there for the world to see, were completely free to use. My bad,” Paulie of the cafe writes. “I can only imagine that you must have lost out on thousands if not millions of dollars worth of business by my not crediting you.”

“You seem to be a master in the field of baby-sucking-tit photography,” he continues. “[…] by way of an apology, I have credited you…”

Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy sounds like a drunken asshole.

Oh. Right. He's Irish. :wink:

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's my new hero.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a perfect move by him.
By handing out a nice cold dose of reality he has ensure like-minded people to this blogger (as it is that type that would follow her) would not go to is hotel. The type he doesn't want
As it leaks into the mainstream people are then seeing the narcissistic behaviour of these bottom-feeders. He gets advertisement without inviting her

Now pulling a stunt like this with some mainstream & broader reaching advertising channel would be a bad idea
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy Newman Vs Jordan Peterson.
This was actually fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

0:38 - "You're saying it's a crisis of masculinity."
3:07 - "So, you're saying women have some sort of duty to sort of help fix the crisis of masculinity".
3:45 - "So, you're saying that women want to dominate. Is that what you're saying?"
4:25 - "You're saying you've done your research and women are unhappy dominating men."
6:15 - "But you're saying basically that it doesn't matter if women aren't getting to the top."
6:21 - "You're saying, 'Well, that's just a fact of life. Women aren't necessarily going to get to the top.'"
7:38 - "So, you're saying by and large women are too agreeable to get the pay raises they deserve."
8:32 - "You're saying it's not because of gender, it's because women are too agreeable to ask for pay raises."
9:42 - "And you're saying if it's at the cost of men, that's a problem."
10:12 - "But you're saying that makes them unhappy, by and large."
10:20 - "You're saying it makes them miserable at the beginning."
12:48 - "So, you're saying women are more sensible."
12:54 - "So, you don't think there are barriers in their way that prevent them getting to the top."
14:10 - "Right, so you're saying that anyone who believes in equality [...] should basically give up, because it ain't going to happen."
14:22 - "So, you're saying give people equality of opportunity, that's fine."
14:31 - "But still women aren't going to make it; that's what you're really saying."
15:10 - "So, you don't believe in equal pay."
15:23 - "I'm hearing you basically saying women need to just accept that they're never going to make it on equal terms."
15:58 - "You're saying that's fine. The patriarchal system is just fine."
16:59 - "Successful women basically have to wear the trousers in your view."
19:35 - "So, you're saying that women aren't intelligent enough to run these top companies?"
19:49 - "Well, you were saying it in terms of conscientiousness by implication are not female traits."
20:55 - "You seem doubtful about that."
24:57 - "You're saying that trans-activists could lead to the deaths of millions of people."
25:32 - "You're just saying these things to provoke, aren't you?"
27:08 - "You're saying that we should organize our societies along the lines of the lobsters."
27:49 - "So, you're saying, like the lobsters, we're hardwired as men and women to do certain things [...] and there's nothing we can do about it."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
he has ensure like-minded people to this blogger (as it is that type that would follow her) would not go to is hotel.
I guess he's courting guests who are like him, and I'll just leave that at being a hypocrite.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/01/22/oxford-university-gives-women-time-pass-exams
I assume that is because women know more about maths and therefore have to search through more things in their head.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Cathy Newman Vs Jordan Peterson.
This was actually fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

Damn... he probably violated some UK law on abusing the mentally challenged.

Cathy proved that she deserves a pay cut with her absolute inability to comprehend the English language.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could tell by watching her that she only picked up on certain triggers and then projected back at Peterson. The lobster was Peterson's crowning glory in a massive show of logic over emotion.

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Moose Cafe - ANSWERING SNOWFLAKES ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote