View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Gnome/Wayland session on Nvidia drivers Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling at the moment trying to figure out why gdm can't launch with a wayland session, and I can't figure out what the errors I'm getting mean.

I'm using nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in grub entry.
I can launch a weston window inside X11, so the weston compositor seems to be able to load wayland lib (well... AFAIK)

wayland is set as a global USE flag, so it has to be set everywhere.

Now... when gdm launches I get these (only what seems to be relevant in journalctl) :
Code:
/usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[2126]: Activating service name='org.freedesktop.systemd1'
/usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[2126]: Activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' failed: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
/usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[2126]: Activating service name='org.freedesktop.systemd1'
/usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[2126]: Activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' failed: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
org.gnome.Shell.desktop[2169]: Window manager warning: Failed to create renderer: Failed to initialize renderer: Missing extension for GBM renderer: EGL_KHR_platform_gbm
gnome-shell[2169]: Failed to create backend: Failed to create MetaRenderer
gnome-session-binary[2133]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[2133]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop
gdm[2073]: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0,513310 seconds
gdm[2073]: Child process -2126 was already dead.
gdm[2073]: Child process 2114 was already dead.
gdm[2073]: Unable to kill session worker process
systemd-logind[2047]: Removed session c1.

... then it starts a new session c2 using gdm-x-session

My problem here is that I don't have enough understanding of this to figure out what this line means and I can't find anything useful about it online :
Code:
org.gnome.Shell.desktop[2169]: Window manager warning: Failed to create renderer: Failed to initialize renderer: Missing extension for GBM renderer: EGL_KHR_platform_gbm

If anyone here has any idea, that'd be wonderful.
Thanks in advance.
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add useful information :
Code:
[I] dev-libs/wayland (1.14.0@06/12/2017): Wayland protocol libraries
[I] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (4.14.11-r2(4.14.11-r2)@05/01/2018): Full sources including the Gentoo patchset for the 4.14 kernel tree
[I] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (390.12@05/01/2018): NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver
[I] x11-wm/mutter (3.24.4@07/12/2017): GNOME 3 compositing window manager based on Clutter
[I] gnome-base/gdm (3.24.3@07/12/2017): GNOME Display Manager for managing graphical display servers and user logins
[I] gnome-base/gnome-shell (3.24.3@07/12/2017): Provides core UI functions for the GNOME 3 desktop

If there are any other useful, sorry for forgetting and please do tell :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome/Wayland session on Nvidia drivers Reply with quote

Arkhelion wrote:
If anyone here has any idea, that'd be wonderful.

Last I checked, it won't be supported in Gentoo until GNOME 3.26.

For details, see Gentoo bug #624958.

Although, If you are bored there are some overlays that have it working with GNOME 3.26 (as well as older GNOME release versions).
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guess we'll have to wait then :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: