Installing Gentoo To An Existing Partion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheerful Charlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Installing Gentoo To An Existing Partion Reply with quote

I have a newly partitioned 2 TB hard disk I partitioned using a Gparted live CD. I have a /home and a 57 GB partition /System1 where I want to install Gentoo. All the install howtos I read seem to think I will be using the Gentoo Install DVD to partition my hard disk. How do I tell the Install process to use my existing partitions? Gentoo is utterly unlike the Mandriva systems I am used to with their GUI installers, so I am a bit lost. If I can get a stage 3 install in the target partition, I will be happy.

Many Thanks in advance.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have any installer that will install anything in any partition.
You just create the partitions, format them to the fs you wish, and use them.

If your /system1 is already create to handle a gentoo, then it mean you have already done "create and format" step, which mean just go on with installing using it.

The default install location is /mnt/gentoo, but you can use any place you wish, even /system1

Or if it make things easier (it will imo), you should mount that /system1 in /mnt/gentoo and just follow the handbook
It's the same, except you don't need to change /mnt/gentoo with /system1 each time the handbook speak about /mnt/gentoo

If you are really lost because mandriva abstract everything and you cannot figure out where was create that /system1, use "mount" and it will display the real disk/partition where /system1 came from.
Once you have that info, you can just mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo and mount it with mount /dev/sd?? /mnt/gentoo
That's the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks#Mounting_the_root_partition step.
Cheerful Charlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I now understand. Gentoo is an alien enviroment for me. But I will figure it out.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not gentoo, it's just linux.
At this step you didn't do anything that is gentoo: creating partition, format, mount... all of this is just linux, nothing is gentoo.
All you will do in the installation will be only linux commands, and the first "gentoo" specific stuff you will really use is emerge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: