Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Try to compile with MAKEOPTS="-j1" (see here)

Yep, thank you - that way it compiled :D
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I am doing wrong but in my gnome 3.26 I do not get TopIcons Plus or Appindikator working. Tried both, reloaded, restarted GNOME, activate/deactivate. I know I expect them in the panel but nothing appears.

Removed other extensions gnome-system-monitor as well so there should be enough space in the panel..

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to report, that everything compiled fine with new plasma+gnome profile. The only things I had to do:

Portage told me to add following in package.use:

media-libs/harfbuzz graphite
app-misc/tracker -gstreamer

And totem needed -j1 to compile successfully. :D
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to emerge @world my machine that's still on 3.20
Code:
The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.unmask" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by www-client/firefox-bin-57.0.4-r1::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
# /usr/local/portage/dantrell-gnome/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/3.20/package.mask:
# Masked to freeze the state of GNOME
=dev-libs/glib-2.54.3
# required by app-crypt/gcr-3.20.0::dantrell-gnome[gtk]
# required by gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.20.1::dantrell-gnome
# required by app-crypt/libsecret-0.18.5::dantrell-gnome
# required by net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.5::dantrell-gnome
# required by net-libs/gnome-online-accounts-3.20.8-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-20
# required by gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.20.6-r2::dantrell-gnome-3-20
# required by gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.20.4-r3::dantrell-gnome-3-20
# required by gnome-base/gnome-light-3.20.0::dantrell-gnome-3-20[gnome-shell]
# required by @selected
# /usr/local/portage/dantrell-gnome/profiles/targets/desktop/gnome/3.20/package.mask:
=x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.26
# required by dev-libs/glib-2.54.3::dantrell-gnome
# required by x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.26::dantrell-gnome
# required by www-client/firefox-bin-57.0.4-r1::gentoo
# required by @selected
=dev-util/gdbus-codegen-2.54.3

I was wondering why they were masked? It says "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME" but it seems some parts of GNOME (and in this case firefox-bin) need some of these deps.
I can just unmask them of course, but should I? Or is this the hint to upgrade to a newer GNOME?
tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiago4171 wrote:
dantrell wrote:

Please report it for me, thanks.

Reported

Bug Fixed

Thanks!
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Corhonio wrote:
dantrell wrote:
For elogind implemenations you use /lib/elogind/system-sleep/ for sleep hooks and /lib/elogind/system-shutdown/ for shutdown hooks.

At least for elogind 227.4 installed from the overlay ebuild, the relevant path is /usr/lib/elogind/system-sleep
For elogind 234.4-r1, which was pulled during an update as a dependency, paths are as dantrell mentioned.

Good to know. I'll be noting this in the official documentation.

Does anyone actually read that thing?

This was noted.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
@dantrell, since you like to ensure a good out of the box experience it might make sense to add the colord USE flag to gnome-settings-daemon in 3.26 (And maybe also 3.24?)

The colord USE flag is already enabled in the base profile. I double checked by watching out for gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon while I was updating the test installs but it was all clear.

You might want to review your make.conf and package.use files.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Does this mean you pulled in this change?

I did sync in that change but it wasn't necessary given that the color USE flag was already enabled.

Spargeltarzan wrote:
When upgrading to Gnome-3.26 the systray disappeard. Any idea how I can get it back? (I mean the part in the bottom left corner where apps like nextcloud, hplip, pulseaudio daemon are running)

simonvanderveldt wrote:
That's part of 3.26, the GNOME team has decided that the systray is history, so it's gone.

Yep.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Normally I'd say please file a bug and let the GNOME team know but I don't think they care.

Agreed. :wink:

Elleni wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:
Try to compile with MAKEOPTS="-j1" (see here)

Yep, thank you - that way it compiled :D

Nice catch fedeliallalinea.

Investigating this further shows that the problem related to the Meson build system as it does not support parallel building of certain Vala projects.

There's a workaround I will test and apply if successful (otherwise, I will probably enforce MAKEOPTS="-j1").

Elleni wrote:
Just want to report, that everything compiled fine with new plasma+gnome profile.

Nice. :twisted:

Elleni wrote:

A quick check still shows clean emerge output on my end.

Out of curiosity, which packages wanted those changes?

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I was wondering why they were masked?

In almost all cases, GNOME packages are tied to the GNOME release version they were bundled with. If you are on GNOME 3.20 and you get a "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME" message, it really means "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME 3.20". This is how I have prepared the mask files since GNOME 3.12 (or 3.10).

Because of this, different GNOME release versions get streamlined different versions of packages.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
It says "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME" but it seems some parts of GNOME (and in this case firefox-bin) need some of these deps.

GNOME 3.20 doesn't need those dependencies, a package you have installed or are trying to install does. Although, this can also happen if you are trying to reuse a binary you built on a different version of GNOME.

I have www-client/firefox installed on GNOME 3.14. I checked the emerge output for www-client/firefox-bin as well and it's clear too (same results on 3.20).

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I can just unmask them of course, but should I? Or is this the hint to upgrade to a newer GNOME?

From my experience GLib is a critical GNOME package and an application says it needs a version of GLib that was not made for your GNOME release version, you are probably better off upgrading. It's not that the things won't build. It's that things will run and subtly go wrong. So unmask as your own risk.

Like I said though, I still use GNOME 3.14 so I have put quite a bit of work into making sure the older GNOME release versions remain usable.

As it's not clear from the output you shared, let me know which package tripped the freeze so I can account for it.

tiago4171 wrote:
Thanks!

Thank you. :)
Cuong Nguyen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: GDM requires systemd?1 Reply with quote

Hello,

I tried to emerge gnome without systemd using dantrell-gnome-3-26 extended profile. Everything was going smoothly emerging gnome-base/gnome, except gdm. The gdm ebuild complains at configure stage:
"checking for libsystemd... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libsystemd) were not met:

No package 'libsystemd' found"

libsystemd.pc belongs to systemd package?

Should I to emerge systemd package in order to get libsystemd.pc installed into /usr/lib/pkgconfig?

Installing systemd will change some USE and packages respectively and I want to get GNOME / GDM up WITHOUT systemd.

Thanks,
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GDM requires systemd?1 Reply with quote

Cuong Nguyen wrote:
I tried to emerge gnome without systemd using dantrell-gnome-3-26 extended profile. Everything was going smoothly emerging gnome-base/gnome, except gdm.

Please share the output of:

Code:
eselect profile list

and:

Code:
emerge --info

and:

Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y --verbose gnome

simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
The colord USE flag is already enabled in the base profile. I double checked by watching out for gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon while I was updating the test installs but it was all clear.

You might want to review your make.conf and package.use files.

Crap, that was all me. Sorry about that. Had "-colord" in my make.conf :facepalm:

dantrell wrote:
In almost all cases, GNOME packages are tied to the GNOME release version they were bundled with. If you are on GNOME 3.20 and you get a "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME" message, it really means "Masked to freeze the state of GNOME 3.20". This is how I have prepared the mask files since GNOME 3.12 (or 3.10).

Because of this, different GNOME release versions get streamlined different versions of packages.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

dantrell wrote:
GNOME 3.20 doesn't need those dependencies, a package you have installed or are trying to install does. Although, this can also happen if you are trying to reuse a binary you built on a different version of GNOME.

Good point, it's probably the binary packages since I pull them from a shared binpkg server. I'll try rebuilding the failing packages locally and see if that works. I guess I expected a bit more from binpkgs in that they would be identified based on their deps as well.
Cuong Nguyen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GDM requires systemd?1 Reply with quote

Dantrell, thanks for looking into my problems.

I've combined dantrell-gnome-3-26 and hardened profiles in a local-repo

eselect profile list
Code:
  [51]  dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome+plasma
  [52]  dantrell-gnome:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome+plasma
  [53]  dantrell-gnome-3-22:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.22
  [54]  dantrell-gnome-3-22:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.22/extended
  [55]  dantrell-gnome-3-22:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.22
  [56]  dantrell-gnome-3-22:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.22/extended
  [57]  dantrell-gnome-3-24:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.24
  [58]  dantrell-gnome-3-24:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.24/extended
  [59]  dantrell-gnome-3-24:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.24
  [60]  dantrell-gnome-3-24:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.24/extended
  [61]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.26
  [62]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended
  [63]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26
  [64]  dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended
  [65]  local-repo:gnome-hardened
  [66]  local-repo:hardened-dantrell-gnome-3-26 *

/usr/local/portage/local-repo/profiles/hardened-dantrell-gnome-3-26/parent
Code:
../../../../../../var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-26/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended
../../../../../../var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-26/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26
../../../../../portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.0/hardened
../../../../../portage/profiles/hardened/linux/amd64

emerge --info
Code:

Portage 2.3.19 (python 3.5.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/hardened, gcc-7.2.0, glibc-2.25-r9, 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.10.0-693.11.1.el7.x86_64-x86_64-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU_E5620_@_2.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:    16251392 total,   6498152 free
KiB Swap:   12582904 total,  12042056 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 16:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 6f805c3ccbf5cbe70057dc5bfe2c45ae2e97cad9
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU gold (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3 2.29.1) 1.14
ccache version 3.2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.3::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.4.5-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo, 3.6.3-r1::gentoo
dev-util/ccache:          3.2.4::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.10.1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.29::dantrell-gnome
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.12::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r2::gentoo, 1.15.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo, 7.2.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r9::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

local-repo

dantrell-gnome-3-22
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 100

dantrell-gnome-3-24

dantrell-gnome-3-26

dantrell-gnome
    priority: 150

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CC="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -O2 -pipe -mtune=generic -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector-all -fopenmp -floop-interchange -ftree-loop-distribution
 -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -ftree-vectorize -flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin -fno-fat-lto-objects"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild
/etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXX="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++"
CXXFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -O2 -pipe -mtune=generic -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector-all -fopenmp -floop-interchange -ftree-loop-distributi
on -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -ftree-vectorize -flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin -fno-fat-lto-objects"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --jobs 17 --load-average 16 --keep-going --autounmask-write --backtrack 30 --quiet-build=y"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs buildpkg ccache config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv us
ersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ rsync://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ http://mirror.yandex.ru/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://mirror.yandex.ru/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/gentoo/ http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo http://ftp.swin.edu.au/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--hash-style=both -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -lgomp -flto=4 -fuse-linker-plugin -fno-fat-lto-objects -Wl,-fuse-ld=gold"
LINGUAS="af be bg br ca cs cy da de de@1901 el en eo es et fi fo fr ga gl he hr hu hy is it la lt nl no pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sl sr sv uk vi"
MAKEOPTS="-j17 -l16"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 berkdb bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr clang cli colord crypt cups cxx dbus default-compiler-rt default-libcxx dri dts dvd dvdr eds elogind encode evo exif fam flac gdbm gif glamor gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gold gpm graphite gtk3 gtkstyle hardened iconv icu introspection ipv6 jpeg jpeg2k lcms ldap libnotify libsecret libunwind lto lz4 lzma lzo mad mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib nautilus ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf pie png policykit ppds pulseaudio readline sdl seccomp spell sse sse2 ssl ssp startup-notification svg tcpd tiff tracker truetype udev udisks unicode upower urandom usb vorbis x264 xattr xcb xml xtpax xv xvid zip zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-32 efi-64 pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev joystick keyboard libinput mouse synaptics void" KERNEL="linux" L10N="af be bg br ca cs cy da de de-1901 el en eo es et fi fo fr ga gl he hr hu hy is it la lt nl no pl pt pt-BR ro ru sk sl sr sv uk vi" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LLVM_TARGETS="AArch64 AMDGPU ARM BPF Mips" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 python3_5 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v4l vmware vboxvideo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

emerge -uDNpv --with-bdeps=y gnome
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  r  U  ] app-text/qpdf-7.0.0:0/18::gentoo [5.1.1-r1:0/13::gentoo] USE="-doc -examples -perl -static-libs {-test}" 6,889 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-1.3.0::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.15::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput-0.25.1::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-dummy-0.3.8::gentoo  USE="-dga" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.4::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-7.9.0::gentoo  USE="glamor udev" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-joystick-1.6.3::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel-2.99.917_p20170313::gentoo  USE="dri sna udev -debug -dri3 -tools -uxa -xvmc" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-void-1.4.1::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-13.2.1::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics-1.9.0::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.9.2::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-2.3.4::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.10.5::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.9.0::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  rR    ] net-print/cups-filters-1.17.9::dantrell-gnome  USE="dbus foomatic jpeg ldap pdf png postscript tiff -ipp_autosetup -pclm -perl -static-libs {-test} -zeroconf" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/networkmanager-1.8.4::dantrell-gnome  USE="bluetooth connection-sharing* dhclient introspection modemmanager ncurses nss policykit ppp vanilla wext wifi -audit -ck (-consolekit) -dhcpcd (-elogind) -gnutls -json -ofono -resolvconf (-selinux) -systemd -teamd {-test} -vala" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/gdm-3.26.2.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="branding introspection ipv6 tcpd -accessibility -audit (-elogind) -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard -systemd {-test} -wayland -xinerama" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] gnome-base/gnome-3.26.0:2.0::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="bluetooth cdr classic cups extras -accessibility" 0 KiB

Total: 20 packages (1 upgrade, 17 new, 2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 6,889 KiB

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(app-text/qpdf-7.0.0:0/18::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
    (net-print/cups-filters-1.17.9:0/0::dantrell-gnome, ebuild scheduled for merge)

* IMPORTANT: 15 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GDM requires systemd?1 Reply with quote

Cuong Nguyen wrote:
I've combined dantrell-gnome-3-26 and hardened profiles in a local-repo

This was all I needed to know. :twisted:

Change:

/usr/local/portage/local-repo/profiles/hardened-dantrell-gnome-3-26/parent:
../../../../../../var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-26/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended
../../../../../../var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome-3-26/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26

to:

gentoo:default/linux/amd64/17.0/hardened
dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended

and update with:

Code:
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y gnome

Explanation:

1. If you are using the */17.0/hardened you don't need the hardened/linux/* profile.
2. Order in the parent file matter due to overriding.
3. Selectors are nice.
Cuong Nguyen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GDM requires systemd?1 Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Change:

to:

gentoo:default/linux/amd64/17.0/hardened
dantrell-gnome-3-26:default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/3.26/extended

Thank you Dantrell, I can't change the parent file to use absolute path but keep using relative-path ../../../

I forced elogind USE mask in /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
Code:

-elogind

gdm compiled successfully.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Elleni wrote:

A quick check still shows clean emerge output on my end.

Out of curiosity, which packages wanted those changes?

@tracker - I think it was either ffmpeg or gstreamer thing.

As for harfbuzz with graphite useflag, it was because of libreoffice - probably because compiled with el greek l10n. I ll check and correct this post if necessary :)

Btw. following the gentoo wiki for the install I realized, that there is no consolekit service anymore. Is that not needed anymore, is this depreceated? :lol:
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
I don't know what I am doing wrong but in my gnome 3.26 I do not get TopIcons Plus or Appindikator working. Tried both, reloaded, restarted GNOME, activate/deactivate. I know I expect them in the panel but nothing appears.

Removed other extensions gnome-system-monitor as well so there should be enough space in the panel..

You could still try with dash-to-panel extensions that combines the applications launcher and activity bar into a one panel. It has a working systray. Been using this extension since Gnome-3.20 and the v11 works with Gnome-3.26.

I do have topicons-plus installed from ::gentoo repo, time to remove it.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1160/dash-to-panel/
https://github.com/jderose9/dash-to-panel

@ dantrell: Ok!
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-auth/elogind-235.2 was causing the following issue for me, which meant a boot to terminal and very slow login
Code:
Jan 19 09:55:21 [kernel] elogind[7047]: Cannot determine cgroup we are running in: No medium found
Jan 19 09:55:21 [kernel] elogind[7047]: Out of memory.
Jan 19 09:55:46 [sudo] pam_elogind(sudo:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out
Jan 19 09:55:46 [dbus] [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.login1': timed out

See this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/644834
I've gone ahead and masked it

Hope this is not going to be par for the course for elogind, not a good start for my first time dealing with it :P
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
sys-auth/elogind-235.2 was causing the following issue for me, which meant a boot to terminal and very slow login
Code:
Jan 19 09:55:21 [kernel] elogind[7047]: Cannot determine cgroup we are running in: No medium found
Jan 19 09:55:21 [kernel] elogind[7047]: Out of memory.
Jan 19 09:55:46 [sudo] pam_elogind(sudo:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out
Jan 19 09:55:46 [dbus] [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.login1': timed out

See this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/644834
I've gone ahead and masked it

Hope this is not going to be par for the course for elogind, not a good start for my first time dealing with it :P

Quickly fixed in the r1 release :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:

saboya wrote:
Quickly fixed in the r1 release :)

On my side too. ;)
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
dantrell wrote:

Good point, it's probably the binary packages since I pull them from a shared binpkg server. I'll try rebuilding the failing packages locally and see if that works. I guess I expected a bit more from binpkgs in that they would be identified based on their deps as well.

@dantrell, just to let you know, it was indeed caused by the binary packages. Thanks for the pointer :)

After that I upgraded my second machine to 3.26 and it's having the same issue as my other one in that I can only login using GDM if I login using the console first. At least I can reproduce the issue now :)
So far I've not been able to find what's causing this, but I did find some new lines that seem relevant in the logs:
Code:

Jan 19 10:38:44 [gdm-password]] pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user simon by (uid=0)
Jan 19 10:38:44 [kernel] elogind[4213]: New session 1 of user simon.
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] module_instances: assertion 'funcs != NULL && "instances"' failed
                - Last output repeated twice -
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] egg_error_message: assertion 'error' failed
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] couldn't find secret store module: (unknown)
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] lookup_login_keyring: assertion 'GCK_IS_SESSION (session)' failed
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] create_credential: assertion 'GCK_IS_SESSION (session)' failed
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] egg_error_message: assertion 'error' failed
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gnome-keyring-daemon] couldn't create login credential: (unknown)
Jan 19 10:40:10 [gdm-password]] gkr-pam: the password for the login keyring was invalid.

This lead me to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-979108-start-0.html but it seems there was never a bug created for it (I couldn't find it at least). So the search continues...

[edit]I think this was caused by me not having eselect pinentry set to pinentry-gnome3. I've fixed that now, but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
After that I upgraded my second machine to 3.26 and it's having the same issue as my other one in that I can only login using GDM if I login using the console first. At least I can reproduce the issue now :)

Could it be related to the elogind version? Maybe try the stable one:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot =sys-auth/elogind-227.4

Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea, why gdm and sddm crash when tryin to login with amdgpu-pro drivers installed ? There is no problem with opensource amdgpu but as soon as I reboot with amdgpu-pro drivers installed I cannot start X server. gdm or sddm constantly restart without getting graphical console, and thus screen flickering. Here are some log entries I found in /var/log/messages.

Code:
 gdm-launch-environment][3865]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
gdm-launch-environment][3865]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
nm-dispatcher[3055]: req:3 'connectivity-change': start running ordered scripts...
gdm[3525]: Child process -3892 was already dead.
gdm[3525]: Child process 3865 was already dead.
gdm[3525]: Unable to kill session worker process
gdm-launch-environment][3935]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
gdm-launch-environment][3935]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
gentoo1 init[1]: Switching to runlevel: 6

I could completely clean dantrell gnome without systemd to verify that it has nothing to do with it or elogind, as my ryzen cpu is quite fast in recompiling stuff :twisted:
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
... I cannot start X server. gdm or sddm constantly restart without getting graphical console, and thus screen flickering. [/code]

The same or similar here.
Code:

tux ~ # cat /var/log/messages | grep gdm-launch-environment

Jan 22 11:02:14 tux gdm-launch-environment][2549]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 11:02:14 tux gdm-launch-environment][2549]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 16:29:35 tux gdm-launch-environment][2507]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 16:29:35 tux gdm-launch-environment][2507]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 18:43:09 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 18:43:09 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 21:38:22 tux gdm-launch-environment][2553]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 21:38:22 tux gdm-launch-environment][2553]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 22:45:54 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 22:45:54 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 23:19:29 tux gdm-launch-environment][26887]: AccountsService: Could not get current seat: Kein passendes Gerät bzw. keine passende Adresse gefunden
Jan 22 23:19:29 tux gdm-launch-environment][26887]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring

Code:
tux ~ # cat /var/log/messages | grep pam_elogind

Jan 22 11:02:14 tux gdm-launch-environment][2549]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 11:05:06 tux su[3792]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 16:29:35 tux gdm-launch-environment][2507]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 16:33:18 tux su[3867]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 16:51:33 tux su[13703]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 18:43:09 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 18:44:18 tux su[3825]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 18:53:20 tux su[4977]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 21:38:22 tux gdm-launch-environment][2553]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 21:39:02 tux su[3799]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 22:45:54 tux gdm-launch-environment][2557]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 22:52:45 tux su[5177]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 22 23:19:29 tux gdm-launch-environment][26887]: pam_elogind(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Jan 22 23:23:37 tux su[28151]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
Jan 23 07:01:55 tux su[19590]: pam_elogind(su:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session

Code:

tux ~ # uname -a
Linux tux 4.15.0-rc8 #8 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 23 16:17:35 CET 2018 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Of course it can also be due to the kernel config. I played around with the .config a bit and now it is more stable. But I can not say why.
The transition from kernel 4.12. to 4.14 and above seems to be quite difficult.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, as soon as I uninstall amdgpu-pro and switch back to opensource driver amdgpu everything works fine. Maybe we should have consolekit back so we can try if it works with that? Is it still possible to have both compiled? They can coexist, can t they ?
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've once again lost video thumbnails in nautilus :(

I'm running Gnome-3.26 and I'm pretty sure it worked earlier in this. Last time I can be sure it has worked was two weeks ago, and I tried looking at changed packages since then and what's changed but nothing seemed obvious. I tried downgrading elogind to 234.4-r1 and enable vanilla-thumbnail use flag globally, but it doesn't work.

I've also tried re-compiling nautilus, sushi, ffmpegthumbnailer and totem, but nope. Oh and this time totem does play the files, as does mpv. Just thumbnailing isn't working and there is no error when I open nautilus from terminal. Totem-video-thumbnailer also works from command line. I've been running "nautilus -c" now for a while but it seems like it's not gonna finish, just hangs there.

Any ideas? :)
It's not that important but Quality of Life you know...
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
And I've once again lost video thumbnails in nautilus :(

This was me, probably.

I found out the reason that thumbnails were broken in the first place was because newer versions of GNOME Desktop requires thumbnailers to be sandboxed. I accounted for this and let the new version through for ~. Guess it worked. :twisted:

Try:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot =gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.25.4

If that does it, I'm taking the newer version back out of circulation.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Try:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot =gnome-base/gnome-desktop-3.25.4

If that does it, I'm taking the newer version back out of circulation.

Yep, it works again :)

Its a stupid reason to hold back updates, but I wonder if theres a patch for newer version out there somewhere. Gonna read the bug next.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 22 of 29

Jump to: