Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Plugging battery in/out - acpi INT3400:00: Unsupported event
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Plugging battery in/out - acpi INT3400:00: Unsuppor Reply with quote

I have upgraded to the latest kernel (4.14.13) and since then, plugging in and out the battery results in this error message in DMESG:
Code:
[ 6011.098938] acpi INT3400:00: Unsupported event [0x86]


KDE GUI interface changes from uncharging to charing so it can read it out properly from /sys, but laptop_mode only changes state if i restart it.

Any ideas how to solve this?


Last edited by adamk90 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugging battery in/out - acpi INT3400:00: Unsupported e Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
I have upgraded to the latest kernel (4.14.13) and since then, plugging in and out the battery results in this error message in DMESG:
Code:
[ 6011.098938] acpi INT3400:00: Unsupported event [0x86]


KDE GUI interface changes from uncharging to charing so it can read it out properly from /sys, but laptop_mode only changes state if i restart it.

Any ideas how to solve this?


Most likely bug in kernel for 4.14, here's the patch.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/38e44da591303d08b0d965a033e11ade284999d0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that experienced, how can i apply this patch?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 19650
Location: here

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
I'm not that experienced, how can i apply this patch?

You can use /etc/portage/patches (here raw patch to download)
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunk failed.. i guess the file in 4.14.13 does not look like the patched one
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as far as i can see in linux-4.14 sources, these modifications are already included (as well as others, because line numbers dont exactly match)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
Yep, as far as i can see in linux-4.14 sources, these modifications are already included (as well as others, because line numbers dont exactly match)


Sorry, I should have looked closer.

here's a related patch, so maybe the error in dmesg is only coincidental?
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10156067/

what does acpi_listen show when you plug/unplug?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event occurs every plug in / plug out, but yes, the real problem seems independent of this (the patch doesnt seem to do anything useful with the event either:)

thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
This event occurs every plug in / plug out, but yes, the real problem seems independent of this (the patch doesnt seem to do anything useful with the event either:)

thanks!


Sorry let me clarify, the 2nd patch I just posted only silences that error, so I assume it has no impact on functionality. run acpi_listen as root and plug/unplug, post what it shows.

edit: does KDE even support/need LMT? have you tried kde-plasma/powerdevil?

edit2: what was solution? lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i have not even applied it. I have powerdevil, but like lmt more, so im using only lmt. I tagged the question solved as the "bug" is not a bug at all, so i guess i should open another post if i found something useful to begin with.

acpi_listen correctly identifies the first plugging out, but then when i plug it back, nothing happens and neither plugging out again has any effect
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
Yep, i have not even applied it. I have powerdevil, but like lmt more, so im using only lmt. I tagged the question solved as the "bug" is not a bug at all, so i guess i should open another post if i found something useful to begin with.

acpi_listen correctly identifies the first plugging out, but then when i plug it back, nothing happens and neither plugging out again has any effect


....ok, if acpid is not working, nothing else will.

edit: i am not familar with KDE, but are you sure it's not grabbing the event before acpid has a chance, breaking lmt?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its even stranger.. after some minutes and several plug ins and outs, the events started to flow.. all of them..

edit: if i plug it out again, then events are hanging again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 231

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamk90 wrote:
Its even stranger.. after some minutes and several plug ins and outs, the events started to flow.. all of them..


i'm pretty sure kde's power management needs to be fully disabled if u want acpid/lmt to work correctly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamk90
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Dec 2017
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has worked before.. dunno what messed it up.. i give it a try and unmerge powerdevil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum