libva slots, parallell install of 1 and 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: libva slots, parallell install of 1 and 2 Reply with quote

Civilization V recently stopped working for me and it seems to be because libva was updated to 2.0.0. Now when starting Steam, it complains that I'm missing libva.so.1 and libva-x11.so.1.

I checked libva and saw that there doesn't seem to be slots for it, which I interpret like I'm unable to have both 2.0 and 1.0 installed in parallel.

Code:
[I] x11-libs/libva
     Available versions:  1.7.3 (~)1.8.0 (~)1.8.1 (~)1.8.2 (~)1.8.3 (~)2.0.0(0/2) **9999(0/9999) {X +drm egl opengl utils vdpau wayland ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32" VIDEO_CARDS="dummy i965 intel nouveau nvidia"}
     Installed versions:  2.0.0(0/2)(19:38:41 2017-12-16)(X drm opengl vdpau wayland -utils ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" VIDEO_CARDS="-i965 -intel -nouveau -nvidia")
     Homepage:            https://01.org/linuxmedia/vaapi
     Description:         Video Acceleration (VA) API for Linux

Am I wrong and should I just go ahead and install 1.8.3 along side 2.0.0?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your analysis is correct, you can't have libva 1 and 2 installed at same time.
The solution is masking 2.0.0 version
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Your analysis is correct, you can't have libva 1 and 2 installed at same time.
The solution is masking 2.0.0 version

But since the libva is versioned as *.so.1 and *.so.2 I can't see any reason for them not being able to coexist on the same system. Perhaps we should log a bug?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

azp wrote:
But since the libva is versioned as *.so.1 and *.so.2 I can't see any reason for them not being able to coexist on the same system. Perhaps we should log a bug?

And what you do with header files?
Code:
# ls /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libva-1.8.3/image/usr/include/va/
va_backend_glx.h  va_backend_vpp.h  va_dec_jpeg.h  va_dri2.h       va_drm.h       va_enc_jpeg.h   va_enc_vp9.h  va_tpi.h      va_x11.h
va_backend.h      va_compat.h       va_dec_vp8.h   va_dricommon.h  va_enc_h264.h  va_enc_mpeg2.h  va_glx.h      va_version.h
va_backend_tpi.h  va_dec_hevc.h     va_dec_vp9.h   va_drmcommon.h  va_enc_hevc.h  va_enc_vp8.h    va.h          va_vpp.h

Code:
# ls /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libva-2.0.0/image/usr/include/va/
va_backend_glx.h  va_compat.h    va_dec_vp8.h  va_dricommon.h  va_egl.h       va_enc_jpeg.h   va_enc_vp9.h   va_glx.h  va_tpi.h      va_x11.h
va_backend.h      va_dec_hevc.h  va_dec_vp9.h  va_drmcommon.h  va_enc_h264.h  va_enc_mpeg2.h  va_fei.h       va.h      va_version.h
va_backend_vpp.h  va_dec_jpeg.h  va_dri2.h     va_drm.h        va_enc_hevc.h  va_enc_vp8.h    va_fei_h264.h  va_str.h  va_vpp.h

azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
azp wrote:

And what you do with header files?
Code:
# ls /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libva-1.8.3/image/usr/include/va/
va_backend_glx.h  va_backend_vpp.h  va_dec_jpeg.h  va_dri2.h       va_drm.h       va_enc_jpeg.h   va_enc_vp9.h  va_tpi.h      va_x11.h
va_backend.h      va_compat.h       va_dec_vp8.h   va_dricommon.h  va_enc_h264.h  va_enc_mpeg2.h  va_glx.h      va_version.h
va_backend_tpi.h  va_dec_hevc.h     va_dec_vp9.h   va_drmcommon.h  va_enc_hevc.h  va_enc_vp8.h    va.h          va_vpp.h

Code:
# ls /var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libva-2.0.0/image/usr/include/va/
va_backend_glx.h  va_compat.h    va_dec_vp8.h  va_dricommon.h  va_egl.h       va_enc_jpeg.h   va_enc_vp9.h   va_glx.h  va_tpi.h      va_x11.h
va_backend.h      va_dec_hevc.h  va_dec_vp9.h  va_drmcommon.h  va_enc_h264.h  va_enc_mpeg2.h  va_fei.h       va.h      va_version.h
va_backend_vpp.h  va_dec_jpeg.h  va_dri2.h     va_drm.h        va_enc_hevc.h  va_enc_vp8.h    va_fei_h264.h  va_str.h  va_vpp.h

Very valid question. How are other libraries slotted handled?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether one of the slots is preserved for full use or as a legacy placeholder. In a case like this, where the only reason to retain the old libva.so.1 would be to support programs which have not yet been rebuilt with the new ABI, you could create a special slotted libva-1.x that installs only the shared object, but none of the development files (headers, static archives (if any), supporting programs (if any)). In the more general case where there is a good reason to keep both slots around and fully usable, it is common to rename the header directory of one or both slots, usually by including a slot number in the header file path.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
It depends on whether one of the slots is preserved for full use or as a legacy placeholder. In a case like this, where the only reason to retain the old libva.so.1 would be to support programs which have not yet been rebuilt with the new ABI, you could create a special slotted libva-1.x that installs only the shared object, but none of the development files (headers, static archives (if any), supporting programs (if any)). In the more general case where there is a good reason to keep both slots around and fully usable, it is common to rename the header directory of one or both slots, usually by including a slot number in the header file path.

Any chance that will be done for this specific package? Could I log a bug requesting it, or is that futile?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could request it, but I do not know if you will get the result you want. In general, I would expect compatibility packages like that to be used only when the new version substantially regressed (so upgrading is much more complicated than just rebuilding the program) or if upgrading without a transition package is particularly difficult (for example, if not using a transition package would break the compiler until the transition is complete). The latter does not apply here, since nothing in the system set depends on libva. The former may or may not apply.

Your best course of action is to get the program rebuilt with the newer soname.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libva upstream is clueless, complain to them to fix it.
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
libva upstream is clueless, complain to them to fix it.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying that every non-source-build will break, for instance all Steam games... Quite a big problem for users, it would seem.
Schnulli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffmpeg still works fine, believe !
as allways the useflags and dependencies....
1 day ago i compiled it wit -libav useflag
check the deps and do it step by step thats the way how ffmpeg works
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnulli wrote:
ffmpeg still works fine, believe !
as allways the useflags and dependencies....
1 day ago i compiled it wit -libav useflag
check the deps and do it step by step thats the way how ffmpeg works

What are you talking about?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: