More questions about virtualization server recommendations
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: More questions about virtualization server recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all. I've read with interest some other threads here about what hardware to use for a virtualization server. None were quite on point for what I'm trying to do, so I'm starting another :)

My use case goes something like this: I run a home network consisting of about a half dozen, mostly not-terribly-powerful machines, plus a couple of fairly beefy workstations. It serves my home needs, my partner, and a couple of projects which are somewhere between community projects and small businesses. I have a bastion host which serves as a NAT router, email and web server. There's a DB/file server, a second email server, and a handful of servers for the assorted software projects. All this stuff runs gentoo. I'm looking at replacing most or all of the server/network infrastructure with VMs.

The three problems I'm trying to solve are:

1. I'm not 100% diligent about keeping it all up to date frequently, so every so often I do an emerge which breaks one or another machine. This usually results in me spending a few hours cleaning things up, usually at a time when I'd rather be doing something else.

2. Hardware being hardware, things break sometimes. Similar result to 1.

3. I'd like to reduce aggregate power usage.

In addition, I'm looking to crank up the number of web-server machines to maybe a dozen total.

The load on all this is spikey. For most of a day the whole system is loafing along at maybe 10% capacity, but at times I'll get sustained loads of 60-100%.

I think what I need is a server which has something like 12-16 cores, maybe 64-128GB ram, and enough disk to store all the VM images. IWBNI the server was pretty power-efficient, with enough clock-scaling and other ACPI features to run low-power when the load is light. I suppose I should really be looking at two of these servers, in case I get a hardware failure in the server itself :(

Any advice on a good platform for this kind of use would be much appreciated.
Aries97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Server Hardware Reply with quote

I've been drooling over the new Epyc CPU's from AMD... A 7401P has 24 cores, with 48 threads for only ~$1,000! Plenty of cores for running a pile of VM's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epyc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: