Computer won't wake up after suspend
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barteks2x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Computer won't wake up after suspend Reply with quote

hen I try to resume from suspend, I get no image on the screen.

When I first inatalled gentoo it worked fine, but then I was using windows instead for a few months. After I came back to gentoo and did full update, suspend stopped working correctly.

First it was waking up immediately after suspend, but I got it to stop by unplugging the mouse. But then some hours later, it just didn't wake up (no image on the screen, but the computer did turn on). Pressing the reset button did nothing. Turning it off and on again also did nothing, still no image. Only turning off the PSU for about a minute helps - when I press the power button then, it turns on for a second, and turns off again by itself. And then I can turn it on normally. And exactly the same situation repeats every time I try to use sleep/suspend.

I would suspect a hardware issue, especially when it's an old computer, but it works fine on windows.

Since the computer doesn't react to anything after suspend, I have no idea where to start (normally I would try to get dmesg output).

Hardware:
CPU: Intel core 2 duo e4500 (2.2GHz)
4GB DDR2 RAM
GPU: ATI radeon hd5670
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey did this ever get worked out if not post the output of emerge --info, and try to help remember if any of the updates you mentioned also could have wiped out some needed configuration file for example something video card related that is what it sounds like. I feel for you on the front of logging the messages, but there must be a log tool associated with the PM event that you can turn on.

In this order it would help to think about it:
1) Which updates could have caused this response?
2) What is in the logs for suspend and resume functions (find this out)
3) What other updates could it be the kernel?
Barteks2x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for lack of reply, I simply learned to live with the issue after the week and stopped checking the forum, until today someopne asked me about similar issue he has with his computer (not related to linux).

I still haven't figured it out. My system isn't fully up to date for now because I never have the time to dig into making it actually update, but this is emerge --info: https://gist.github.com/b08db98eb4e125df8dd0792e0859be28

Unfortunately after so much time I no longer remember even when it started, let alone which updates caused it. It was a lot of updates anyway, as it was (iirc) right after I switched back to using this PC after some weeks of using my laptop instead.

And I'm not exactly sure how I can get suspend log if once I suspend, it just won't wake up. I have to actually physically turn off the PSU, wait and turn it back on. And also I don't have any real way to access serial output (I probably could if I had the right things connected to the computer but I don't have them).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: