Ryzen, AM4 and memory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Ryzen, AM4 and memory Reply with quote

After a long wait, I was going to finally build my Ryzen system with a Ryzen 5 1600. However, I STILL can't find a vendor who will sell me a post week 25 chip. I have to take pot luck and possibly (probably?) deal with the AMD RMA system. I'm taken aback by things like "15% restocking fee", "no returns" and the like. So I've ordered an Athlon X4 Bristol Ridge Excavator chip on AM4 to serve as placeholder until the Ryzen update chips appear in March or later. It only costs $50 and comes with cooler. Not much performance but it's passmark rating is double that of the Athlon II X3 440 from February 2010 that it is replacing. It's single core rating is 70% higher. I already have a new low power Radeon card from last year in the target computer. If the onboard Realtek ethernet isn't supported by the 4.14 kernel, I'll either use the R8168 proprietary driver or put in a spare Intel NIC with the e1000e driver. I will buy an MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic White mobo. I want the PCI slots for existing cards. I don't care about the color but the Arctic White is a newer release than the orginal B350 Tomahawk and both are being sold. Some say they are identical except for color. Others say they are different, but don't say how. The specs are identical, but they use different BIOS'.

The main reason for this post is to get advice on memory. DDR4 is very expensive and I eventually want to have 16G. Meanwhile, I could do with a 4G stick for around $50 or an 8G stick for around $90-$95. I figure if I buy the 4G, I will have to throw it away later or put it on the shelf for an emergency spare. Is the same true of the 8G? If I buy a single stick can I just add another or must they be matched pairs? I am thinking of Ballistic Elite but Ballistic LT Sport seems more common. I don't plan to overclock either the CPU or the memory. G. Skill is most often mentioned but I have had good luck and prompt warranty service from Crucial's lifetime warranty.

Because Excavator code is incompatible with Ryzen, I will change my CFLAGS and kernel CPU selection from "native" to "amdfam10" and forego a world emerge until I actually have a Zen chip.

Thanking you in advance for your thoughts/advice.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all your answers are in the m/b manual.

picking up this one (yeah random one from asus, looks like it's not cheapest one, but that's the first one advertise and will do the job): http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketTR4/ROG_ZENITH_EXTREME/E13034_ROG_ZENITH_EXTREME_UM_WEB.pdf look at 1.1.4
Quote:
Recommanded memory configuration:
- one dimm alone
- 2, 4, 6 or 8 dimms

which you should read: recommanded is the nice word for "USE ONLY THAT!"

Quote:
you may install varying memory sizes in Channel A, Channel B, Channel C, and
Channel D. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the quad
channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then
mapped for single-channel operation

which you should read as:
you may install 4+4 and 8+8 but we will only use 4+4+4+4 for quad channel, and the extra 4+4 from higher channel will only be use in single channel operation.
and really read it as: 4x or 8x dimms is top configuration.
because of this, you should reconsider the "recommanded memory configurations" to be "1, 4 or 8 dimms"

Quote:
always install the DIMMS with the same CAS Latency. For an optimum compatibility,
we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or data code
(D/C) from the same vendor. Check with the vendor to get the correct memory
modules

which you should read as: use "strictly" identical ram.

Many manuals have (eheh of course this one doesn't) also a list of test chips, which really hint on the dimm model to buy.
In this manual, they just speak about that in the specifications summary as
Quote:
AMD® Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors
- 8 x DIMM, max. 128GB, DDR4 2800(O.C) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory*
* Please refer to Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors List) for details

So you better dig out asus website to find that QVL list and read it, which will hint you more than anything else about what models to grab.

The problem of trying to re-use a one ram and add 3 more later, is not your inability to find the same size or vendor (except if they collapse), the problem is that they always do "better" dimms, and while you're able to find 4G dimm, your old one is CAS 4 and new ones are CAS 3.3.1 and that's not really good, even technically the dimm should advertise their properties, and the bios should use slowest value.
Because like the upper case: when they say "recommand" read it as "order", when you can technically do "XY", make sure to only do "XX" or "YY".

The less you'll do "unexpected" or "unusual" setup, the less you may hit the "hey my computer reboot or freeze every x", "hey this ram checker say my dimm are all good, and this one keep saying dimm X fail" or weirdo case that will bore you to death (like just the dimm model/vendor, you should be free to use any, but you better just pickup one from their QVL list to sleep well)
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,
FWIW, on 11/22/17 I got an R5 1600 from Neweggg, and it was a UA1737PGS. I've had zero segfault issues, but a few times after I left my new ASRock B350 Pro4 system on overnight, the next morning it was locked up a few times. I finally disabled C6 state in the BIOS, and it's been on for a week now with no more lockups. That's also with SMT, OPcache enabled, and the line "kernel.randomize_va_space = 0" added into /etc/sysctl. Running 16GB GSkill 2400 RAM (couldn't afford another 16GB 3200 Flare X kit like I have on my main X370 box).

Guess the conclusion is that even retail UA1737PGS chips (or other post week 25 chips) can still exhibit the C6 state random lockup problem even if the segfault issue has been fixed. I'd certainly hope all these issues will have been resolved in the new versions of Ryzen due out soon, and it will be well advertised and guaranteed that they are, and if they aren't, an immediate free RMA, with no questions asked. My R7 1700 RMA chip has been running perfectly.

So far the R5 1600 is also running Gentoo smoothly, and a pretty good upgrade from the previous AM3+ FX8320 system on this box

On the RAM supposedly memory manufactures match the ram modules with a 2x8gb 16gb kit, but who really knows. I'd be willing to think if you got one 8gb stick and later got another stick of exactly the same ram it would be fine. Only question I'd have is if an exact same version 8gb stick would still be available, depending on how long you waited to order it.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@krinn
Thank you for your detailed technical explanation and interpretation of the manual remarks. I will forgo the 4G stick because it seems to limit expansion to 8G (2 sticks) or 16G (with four sticks which is more expensive than two 8G sticks). If I have interpreted your post correctly, I should be OK with buying one 8G stick now and another a few months from now if they are the same part. Else, I might have to fiddle with RAM timings in BIOS. I haven't found the manual to download yet (not impressed with MSI's website, Gigabyte's is much better,) but I did find the compatible RAM list and both the Ballistix Elite and Ballistisx LT Sport are on it, besides being choices on Crucial's website "Guaranteed compatible" list for that mobo hence eligible for their Guaranteed compatible warranty.

@wrc1944
I've learned a lot from your experience on the AMD Ryzen thread. I share your concerns. I wonder about the matching too. One of my two experiences with Crucial's warranty was an upgrade of an older mobo with a matched pair. On arrival and installation, the computer failed memtest. I switched the modules and the failure location moved. Upon being notified Crucial sent out a replacement stick (not a pair) by Priority mail in advance of receipt of my RMA. All was fine and I think that's how AMD should have handled the Ryzen RMA's when the serial number showed a pre-week 25 chip.

I'm actually planning two systems. The downstairs desktop upgrade was originally going to be a Ryzen 7 1800X build but now I'm going this route. The upstairs desktop (currently Phenom II X6 1090T - May 2011) dual boots XP and Gentoo. Lately I've been having Windows problems after rebooting from Linux. I've played around with virtualbox but find it less satisfactory than just using rdesktop to log in to Windows. So my latest idea is to build a whole new box upstairs, moving the Linux hard drive (which is /dev/sdb) and using a KVM switch or rdesktop to switch between boxes. I am using three ports of a four port switch (in the wall cable to the router, printer, and PC) so I have one more port free for a separate box. I may use that box for the super-Ryzen, upgrading the downstairs desktop to a lesser Ryzen, but both with 16G which my basement server already is (DDR3 and Kaveri) I will then dispense wirh swap entirely. I hope these boxes will last another 7 or 8 years. With the separate box and rdesktop, I can stop running web browsers and Thunderbird on XP and only communicate with it via LAN from Gentoo. That should be a security upgrade. Threadripper was recommended to me but I want less TDP, not more.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryzen, AM4 and memory Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Because Excavator code is incompatible with Ryzen, I will change my CFLAGS and kernel CPU selection from "native" to "amdfam10" and forego a world emerge until I actually have a Zen chip.
Actually it is not necessary to be so strict. Ryzen supports almost all instructions of Excavator, with the exception of XOP, TBM and FMA4. FMA4 instructions are not advertised but have been found to work; whether they work properly in all situations and/or have unwanted side effects is unknown though.

So "-march=bdver4 -mno-xop -mno-tbm" should be ok, and if you want to be extra safe at the cost of some performance, add "-mno-fma4" too.
Note that "-march=amdfam10" might generate 3dnow instructions.

Also note that Raven Ridge launch is around the corner (Feb 2018) those chips will certainly be unaffected by the segfault issue.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryzen, AM4 and memory Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
Also note that Raven Ridge launch is around the corner (Feb 2018) those chips will certainly be unaffected by the segfault issue.
Feb/March, I read different things and seeing the people burned at Rysen launch, I'll wait until braver souls run Gentoo on Ryzen+ whatever they are calling it.

Thanks for the advice regarding CFLAGS, I didn't know that individual opcodes could be cut out and the 3dNOW probably isn't a good idea either. I'll make your suggested changes but do afam10 on the kernel. Or maybe I should leave the kernel at native and just leave one of the fam10 kernels in the menu so I have something to boot the Ryzen from. It only takes about ten minutes to build a new kernel and 5that should be less on Ryzen. It's not like running emerge -e world that I like to do with an new CPU.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amdfam10 does not include XOP nor TBM, so "-march=amdfam10 -mno-3dnow" should work.

Do note that the kernel does not use make.conf CFLAGS, but has its own.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:
amdfam10 does not include XOP nor TBM, so "-march=amdfam10 -mno-3dnow" should work.

I could set the kernel to k8, but it's probably better to set it as native, then rebuild it just before shutting down to install the new CPU.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
chithanh wrote:

I think this is probably correct, but how do we know? I'd like to see at least some engineering sample reports before I'd feel really confident.

I took a chance in the R5 1600 from newegg mainly because I really needed to replace the little backup home office/guest with both windows 7 and 10 partitions in addition to my Gentoo and other linux distros for testing box, and it was on a really good sale, as was the ASRock Pro4 B350 board.

I lucked out and got the UA1737PGS, which so far only needed to disable C6 state.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
I've had zero segfault issues, but a few times after I left my new ASRock B350 Pro4 system on overnight, the next morning it was locked up a few times.

See: bugzilla.kernel.org - Bug 196683 - Random Soft Lockup on new Ryzen build

Had it probably happen as well, as mentioned here.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
wrc1944 wrote:
I've had zero segfault issues, but a few times after I left my new ASRock B350 Pro4 system on overnight, the next morning it was locked up a few times.

See: bugzilla.kernel.org - Bug 196683 - Random Soft Lockup on new Ryzen build

Had it probably happen as well, as mentioned here.
:(

5 months for that bug alone and no apparent meaningful response yet from AMD (I read the part about PSU 0A min load attributed to AMD).
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chiitoo,
I had the rcu_nocbs=0-11 kernel command line on my x370 box, but forgot to add it on the new R5 1600/B350 backup build. :roll:
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:

Switched to CFLAGS="-march=bdver4 -mno-xop -mno-tbm -mno-fma4 -O2 -pipe" from CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" per your earlier post.
Selecting "native" in kernel didn't work. The build kept failing with complaints about "can't find jump target ...". I built the kernel with "GENERIC-x86-64" so that my new hardware would be recognized. I had to change the sensor module and add the xhci module. The existing r8169 worked well but the mouse and lm_sensors didn't. I use a wireless mouse plugged into the front panel and I thought I might have connected the front panel to the mobo wrong but then I realized that the hardware had to be right because the mouse works in the bios. The kernel was built with ohci and ehci which was fine for the old mobo but the new mobo added xhci.

Going to try building the kernel again with "Excavator"
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chithanh wrote:

Switched to CFLAGS="-march=bdver4 -mno-xop -mno-tbm -mno-fma4 -O2 -pipe" from CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe" per your earlier post.
Selecting "native" in kernel didn't work. The build kept failing with complaints about "can't find jump target ...". I built the kernel with "GENERIC-x86-64" so that my new hardware would be recognized. I had to change the sensor module and add the xhci module. The existing r8169 worked well but the mouse and lm_sensors didn't. I use a wireless mouse plugged into the front panel and I thought I might have connected the front panel to the mobo wrong but then I realized that the hardware had to be right because the mouse works in the bios. The kernel was built with ohci and ehci which was fine for the old mobo but the new mobo added xhci.

Going to try building the kernel again with "Excavator"
EDIT:
Nope, failed with "EXCAVATOR" as well. Examples:
Code:
kernel/ptrace.o: warning: objtool: __ptrace_detach.part.3()+0x86: stack state mismatch: cfa1=7+40 cfa2=7+32

mm/vmscan.o: warning: objtool: shrink_page_list()+0xb14: can't find jump dest instruction at .text+0x212a
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: