dmcrypt volumes don't get automatically mounted
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrylis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: dmcrypt volumes don't get automatically mounted Reply with quote

I'm trying to get an encrypted /home partition working on a new Gentoo installation. I've used LUKS before on a systemd installation, but I'm back to Gentoo specifically because I want OpenRC!

My LUKS volume is on an LV, and it all maps correctly: LVM comes up, OpenRC starts dmcrypt, I get prompted for a passphrase, and the LUKS volume gets mapped correctly. However, the volume doesn't get mounted, presumably because localmount already ran. My fstab entry is correct, using a UUID as recommended by the wiki, and 'mount /home' always works immediately after boot. The wiki suggests that using the UUID will cause the volume to be mounted as soon as it becomes available, but that doesn't work for me; I get identical behavior using /dev/mapper/home.

Is there a way to ensure my LUKS volume gets mounted automatically on boot as soon as I open it, besides adding a custom RC entry or otherwise doing it "manually"?

/etc/conf.d/dmcrypt
Code:
target=home
source='/dev/vg/home-luks'

/etc/fstab
Code:
UUID="da53d409-442f-4c0d-8fed-5bea2777ddea"     /home           ext4    noatime,discard         0 0
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: dmcrypt volumes don't get automatically mounted Reply with quote

chrylis wrote:
IHowever, the volume doesn't get mounted, presumably because localmount already ran.

This shouldn't be the case: dmcrypt has a "before fsck", and localmount has a "need fsck".
Are you sure that you added dmcrypt to the boot runlevel (in contrast to the default runlevel?)
Try to force dependency regeneration with
Code:
/lib64/rc/bin/rc-depend --update

(use /lib instead of /lib64 if you are on an x86 system.)
Quote:
The wiki suggests that using the UUID will cause the volume to be mounted as soon as it becomes available

This is not true. There are of course ways (automount, udev rules, or when you are using systemd) to do this, but AFAIK nothing like this is set up by default.
chrylis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through the dependencies myself and came to the same conclusion, but the mount is still running first; I reran the dependency resolution, so maybe that will change things, but I haven't rebooted (running things).

In the meantime, I added /home to localmount:critical_mounts. Now localmount still comes up first, but it complains about not being able to mount /home, then dmcrypt runs, and by the time I get logins localmount is started and /home is mounted. Perhaps not elegant, but it's working reliably.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of rc-update show?
chrylis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
               binfmt | boot                                   
             bootmisc | boot                                   
          consolefont |                                 sysinit
               cronie |      default                           
                 dbus |      default                           
                devfs |                                 sysinit
        device-mapper | boot                                   
              dmcrypt | boot                                   
                dmesg |                                 sysinit
                 fsck | boot                                   
               hdparm |      default                           
 home-mount-workaround | boot                                   
             hostname | boot                                   
              hwclock | boot                                   
              keymaps | boot                                   
            killprocs |                        shutdown       
    kmod-static-nodes |                                 sysinit
           lm_sensors |      default                           
                local |      default nonetwork                 
           localmount | boot                                   
             loopback | boot                                   
                  lvm | boot                                   
              metalog |      default                           
              modules | boot                                   
             mount-ro |                        shutdown       
                 mtab | boot                                   
             net.lan0 |      default                           
             netmount |      default                           
            nfsclient |      default                           
               procfs | boot                                   
                 root | boot                                   
            savecache |                        shutdown       
                 sshd |      default                           
                 swap | boot                                   
               sysctl | boot                                   
                sysfs |                                 sysinit
         termencoding | boot                                   
                 udev |                                 sysinit
         udev-trigger |                                 sysinit
              urandom | boot                                   
                  xdm |      default                           
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sadly having the exact same problem, on a freshly installed system.

A SSD and a HDD, both encrypted. The SSD gets decrypted on boot by means of a password, the HDD gets decrypted by using a keyfile on the just decrypted SDD. Both encrypted partitions contain LVM volumes.
Decrypting is going fine, everything on the SSD gets mounted properly. However, the system tries to mount everything on the HDD before it's actually decrypted, and thus fails. Running
Code:
mount -a
once the system has booted remounts it all properly.

/var/log/rc.log:
Code:

* /run/lvm: creating directory
 * Starting lvmetad ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting up the Logical Volume Manager ...
 [ ok ]
 * Checking local filesystems  ...
/dev/mapper/ssd-rootfs: clean, 514754/3276800 files, 2671384/13107200 blocks
fsck.ext4: Unable to resolve 'UUID=d0c63dd0-7eb3-4ff1-9f55-160e23d8a924'
/dev/mapper/ssd-data: clean, 11/12288000 files, 1048886/49143808 blocks
fsck.ext4: Unable to resolve 'UUID=c12a983c-d3f6-41b5-b41e-33d7306049d0'
fsck.fat 4.0 (2016-05-06)
/dev/nvme0n1p1: 355 files, 10621/261628 clusters
 * Operational error
 [ !! ]
 * Mounting local filesystems ...
mount: /home: can't find UUID=d0c63dd0-7eb3-4ff1-9f55-160e23d8a924.
mount: /games-hdd: can't find UUID=c12a983c-d3f6-41b5-b41e-33d7306049d0.
 * Some local filesystem failed to mount
 [ !! ]
 * Starting dbus ...
 [ ok ]
 * Starting NetworkManager ...
 [ ok ]
Connecting..........         1sConnecting...........        1sConnecting............       1sConnecting.............      1sConnecting..............     1sConnecting...............    1sConnecting...............    0s [offline]
 * Marking NetworkManager as inactive. It will automatically be marked
 * as started after a network connection has been established.
 * WARNING: NetworkManager has started, but is inactive

rc sysinit logging stopped at Sun Jan  7 13:28:45 2018

rc boot logging started at Sun Jan  7 13:28:45 2018

* Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
 [ ok ]
 * Setting up dm-crypt mappings ...
 *   hdd using:   open /dev/sda1 hdd ...
 [ ok ]
 [ ok ]
 * Remounting root filesystem read/write ...
 [ ok ]

/etc/fstab:
Code:

UUID=385E-FD1C                                  /boot           vfat    defaults,noatime                        1       2
UUID=5ec3a414-d96b-4c3a-bba8-f351a333b3a9       /               ext4    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0       1
UUID=d0c63dd0-7eb3-4ff1-9f55-160e23d8a924       /home           ext4    defaults,noatime                        0       1

UUID=2cddf51f-e929-45d4-b520-fb1de6882af1       /games-ssd      ext4    defaults,noatime                        0       1
UUID=c12a983c-d3f6-41b5-b41e-33d7306049d0       /games-hdd      ext4    defaults,noatime                        0       1

rc-status boot:
Code:

Runlevel: boot
 hwclock                                                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 modules                                                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 dmcrypt                                                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 fsck                                                                                                                                                                   [  started  ]
 root                                                                                                                                                                   [  started  ]
 mtab                                                                                                                                                                   [  started  ]
 swap                                                                                                                                                                   [  started  ]
 localmount                                                                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 procfs                                                                                                                                                                 [  started  ]
 sysctl                                                                                                                                                                 [  started  ]
 bootmisc                                                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                                                                                                                           [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 binfmt                                                                                                                                                                 [  started  ]
 urandom                                                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 loopback                                                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 hostname                                                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureTryOut wrote:
A SSD and a HDD, both encrypted. The SSD gets decrypted on boot by means of a password, the HDD gets decrypted by using a keyfile on the just decrypted SDD. Both encrypted partitions contain LVM volumes. Decrypting is going fine, everything on the SSD gets mounted properly. However, the system tries to mount everything on the HDD before it's actually decrypted, and thus fails. Running 'mount -a' once the system has booted remounts it all properly.

PureTryOut ... you need your initramfs to decrypt both SSD/HD, and run 'lvm vgchange -a y', prior to switching root. I'm not sure what you're doing ITR but you need these available prior to 'localmount' and 'fsck' (and both of these are in the 'boot' runlevel).

HTH & best ... khay
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that would require me to enter a password for HDD as well right? That's exactly what I'm trying to prevent by using a keyfile on the first encrypted drive... I had this working a few years ago on Arch, so with systemd, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't work here. The 'dmcrypt' service is already supposed to run before 'fsck' according to it's 'depend()' function.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureTryOut wrote:
But that would require me to enter a password for HDD as well right? That's exactly what I'm trying to prevent by using a keyfile on the first encrypted drive...

PureTryOut ... no, it wouldn't, you would do the same, unlock SSD, lvchange, point cryptsetup to the keyfile, lvchange, switch_root. I expect your initramfs is not something you've created for that purpose, and so only does a single luksOpen. I did state "I'm not sure what you're doing ITR".

PureTryOut wrote:
The 'dmcrypt' service is already supposed to run before 'fsck' according to it's 'depend()' function.

Yes, I didn't see that dmcrypt was being started, my bad. If you did this your initramfs you wouldn't need to have dmcrypt, or lvm, in the runlevel, but anyhow, looking closer I don't see lvm in the boot runlevel, is that output from 'rc-status boot'?

best ... khay
PureTryOut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I don't know much about the initramfs so I sadly have no clue how to do that.

khayyam wrote:
is that output from 'rc-status boot'?

Yes it is. I noticed LVM missing as well, but adding it didn't change anything. LVM scans anyway it seems.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PureTryOut wrote:
Ah, I don't know much about the initramfs so I sadly have no clue how to do that.

PureTryOut ... well, it's worth spending a little time getting familiar with it. All an initramfs is is a small root filesystem with an 'init' script. Normally 'init' parses /proc/cmdline and passes these parameters to <command> (eg, cryptsetup, lvm, etc), and once this process is completed, it's switches to the real root, and runs /sbin/init (or whatever happens to correspond with init=), if anything fails it (should) drop you to a rescue shell. As 'init' is basically a shell script, its fairly simple to modify, and so add the required additional crypsetup, lgchange -y a, etc. So, while various tools exist to create an initramfs (genkernel, dracut, etc) the internals (ie, 'init') are wrapped up in the resulting *.cpio.gz, and so take a little more work to access, modify, and re-generate. However, you can roll your own, or use something like better-intitramfs and so have more control of what goes into the *.cpio.gz at various stages of the 'build' (better-initramfs has other benefits but for brevities sake ...). But anyhow, you may not want to take that route, but essentially that's what a initramfs is for.

PureTryOut wrote:
khayyam wrote:
is that output from 'rc-status boot'?

Yes it is. I noticed LVM missing as well, but adding it didn't change anything. LVM scans anyway it seems.

I would try changing from UUID to /dev/mapper in fstab, it's possible {e,}udev is taking its time. You could also try post_mount="vgchange -a y" in /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt, but I doubt this will remedy the problem. Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest, I do all this in initramfs.

best ... khay
majoron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I only encrypt /home, but still an initramfs seems to be needed: all local filesystems are mounted by localmount before dmcrypt can be run, which is good because / must be there. It is bad because at the same time /home is tried to be mounted...

For now I have fixed it with a hack: adding a script to /etc/local.d that just mounts /home
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: