radeon radeonsi vs amdgpu radeonsi for HD 7950
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: radeon radeonsi vs amdgpu radeonsi for HD 7950 Reply with quote

I am about to install the graphics driver for my Sapphire HD 7950 Dual-X with Boost.

It seems it is part of the Southern Islands series, so it both supports radeon radeonsi and amdgpu radeonsi. As explained here, the latter is «experimental, optional support added since kernel 4.9-rc1».

Is it safe to proceed with amdgpu radeonsi?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now it's probably a better idea to use radeon; amdgpu still has problems with things like tearing.
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by "safe". I have a 7790 and run AMDGPU, along with the 9999-versions of basically the entire graphics stack, and problems are relatively rare. The worst that has happened to me is that my display sometimes fails to wake up after the monitor has been turned off by XScreensaver, but this is very rare, and seems to mostly occur when I've rebuilt the graphics stack without restarting X. In general, AMDGPU won't eat your children or set your GPU on fire (probably). Of course, that doesn't mean it's necessarily as stable or glitch-free as radeon (e.g. the tearing problem mentioned by Ant P. -- though I haven't had this problem myself), but it should work, and may occasionally even offer a slight performance benefit.

You can also install both, if you want, and blacklist the module you don't use. Just set VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi radeon".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: