Suggestion for multi-booting from USB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Suggestion for multi-booting from USB Reply with quote

Hi, I am attempting to make a bootable USB stick with several linux paritions including multiple linux installations...here's what I want to do with the partitions if possible:

1) Partition to manag the USB boot process
2) Followed by partitions for /boot, /, and swap (as primary partitions in GPT)
3) And finally some smaller paritions at the end of the disk where I might store other live images of linux

That way I can either boot into the regular OS with partitions 2,3,4 or I can choose another linux image in partitions 5, 6 or 7. Is this possible? And since there's some tools out there that say they make the management of images easy on a USB, should I be using a tool such as E2B which stands for easytoboot I think. Initially I did not want to use a tool, but now I'm thinking that if tools exist to manage various installs on 1 disk that would appear to be a worthwhile thing. That and its actually pretty rare for more than one live image per disk or device. So I think that's why this is tricky. Or else, could be because of the combining of live image with read-write system. Is this at all possible?

EDIT: basically what I'm looking for is some ideas for tools that can effectively handle multiboot for a USB device
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for multi-booting from USB Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
EDIT: basically what I'm looking for is some ideas for tools that can effectively handle multiboot for a USB device

LIsLinuxIsSogood ... and someone retroctively read your mind: multibootusb.

I would clean out the cruft (ie, stuff you don't need) in mbusb.d but otherwise you will save a lot of time, and can update simply by copying over the new iso.

HTH & best ... khay
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it appears so...I forgot to post back, but it's actually available out of tree in two overlays as well, so going to go that route.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: