Dependency searching?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Dependency searching? Reply with quote

Anyone know of a way to track down what packages are dependent on others?

After an emerge rsync, update world is suddenly trying to install reiserfsprogs, while none of my partitions even use that fs. It's also not a use variable (if it is, -reiserfs has no effect on this dependency). Now I have to figure out which program is so sure it can't live without some fs tools that have no place on my machine.

As long as every package maintainer and his hamster intends to add new dependencies on every second update, We're really going to need a way to track down reverse-dependencies. qpkg and epm from gentoolkit were less than helpful in this regard.
Garreth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out /etc/make.profile/packages which determines the base package. Comment out *sys-apps/reiserfsprogs and your good to go.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see what the dependencies for a ebuild truly are you can do:
Code:

emerge -p theapp -e

Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -p -e provides a package's dependencies (forward dependency), but not what packages depend on it (backwards dependency). AFAIK, there is no way to get backwards dependencies in portage.

Thanks Garreth, that'll work for now. Though I still want to discover what package is trying to force the install, so I can find out which package maintainer needs a reminder about why defensive programming is so important. :P
Garreth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No package to my knowledge is. Gentoo thinks that it is part of the base system. That file holds the list for 'emerge --update system' and thinks that you need reiserfsprogs for your base system. Don't ask me why though.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easy to write a small script that could calculate backward dependencies... but I don't know if emerge can take stdin for it's command line.

Does anyone know if it can? (like bzip2 somefile.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -... well, same basis.)

If so, it'd be pretty easy just to make a script that does a "emerge -s "*" | grep -i "*" | awk '{ print $2 }' and somehow send that information through emerge to do a pretend on all of them to see what each have as a dependency. and so on.....

sure, would take a while the first time, could always store it in a flatfile database (comma-delimited of course.. unless you want to add SQL-server querying to the script) but after that it's nothing but searching out the flatfile for your favourite app and showing what depends on it right below it. example of a flatfile would be: qt3:kde3,qtdesigner,qtarchitect
program is qt3, stuff that depends on it, kde3, qtdesigner, qtarchitect. of course, there is more than that depending on QT, but you get the idea.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
To see what the dependencies for a ebuild truly are you can do:
Code:

emerge -p theapp -e

Question.. what does the "-e" do?

--
Dan
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -e is for an empty tree, gives the dependencies for an application rather you have them currently installed or not.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh okay.. learn something new everyday.
Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's part of the base system, it's not really needed, and has no USE variable to disable? That's entirely silly. Time to dig up my bugzilla password.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dependency searching? Reply with quote

Target wrote:
Anyone know of a way to track down what packages are dependent on others?

After an emerge rsync, update world is suddenly trying to install reiserfsprogs, while none of my partitions even use that fs. It's also not a use variable (if it is, -reiserfs has no effect on this dependency). Now I have to figure out which program is so sure it can't live without some fs tools that have no place on my machine.

As long as every package maintainer and his hamster intends to add new dependencies on every second update, We're really going to need a way to track down reverse-dependencies. qpkg and epm from gentoolkit were less than helpful in this regard.

You said you used -reiserfs did you try:
Code:

USE="-reiserfsprogs"

Target
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. I wouldn't be posting if it were that simple. :P

I've tried "-reiserfsprogs", "-reiserfs", and even just "-reiser".

I'm having trouble logging into bugzilla... If anyone else can file this one, I'd appreciate it. I'll keep trying in the meantime.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: