Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
pjp wrote:
Lenovo finally produced a real Thinkpad again. The Thinkpad 25. But it is $1,900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQGhqF60zE&t=25s

yeah no thanks :lol:

:lol:

That should be "think, pal"
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
I have a T420 and it moves on along with its 2.8GHz i7. I don't care about the gaming-style graphics--I'm perfectly content with Intel graphics. I never got hibernation to work, but the suspend-to-RAM state works great for me--I use that all the time.

I don't have a problem with the viewing angle of the display; I don't have to move my head at all, just my eyes :)

Well, I suspect this panel is not the original one. I haven't investigated though.

Except for that, I am happy with this laptop. I fell in love with it the first time I touched one from someone else. The day after, I ordered it on ebay for like 220 euros or something like that.

An option I considered for some time is changing the panel, however I am not sure it's worth all the trouble since I haven't been able to find a reliable panel that's not worth more than what I payed for the laptop. I would also accept suggestions in that regard, if you have any knowledge about good screens that would fit the t420.

Thanks!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone around here test one of those thinkpad w520/w530 quad core laptops with Gentoo?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have one of those dell e6430 that you, people, recommended above, on sight.

But that hibernation bug you spoke of is holding me from buying it. Can anyone here confirm if s/he's been able to, somehow, fix or work around it?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally ended up buying a Latitude 6430, so far, I haven't found big problems.

There was the inicial annoyance of not being able to boot my SSD disk. I am used to buying a new-second-hand laptop, and just plugging in the disk with my Gentoo install. It usually works and I just have to throw in a couple of network drivers and some acpi or specific platform driver for sensors, etc. And it usually just works.

But, after the initial panic moment, I marked the partition as bootable and it booted fine. I guess that's the silly Dell BIOS acting up. It was a minor annoyance though.

I haven't tested the dual card stuff, which I will need to be able to use HDMI, but I guess I will work around that in one way or another (the intel video card seems not to be connected to the hdmi port, otherwise I'd just disable the nvidia chip and be done with that for good).

The screen, while not perfect, is -no doubt- much better than the t420 panel, by far.

I'll report back any important issue here, if there's any to report.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who participated. The info in this thread has been quite illustrating to me.
JackHunt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
So, I finally ended up buying a Latitude 6430, so far, I haven't found big problems.
The screen, while not perfect, is -no doubt- much better than the t420 panel, by far.

The screen in my T420 is absolutely awful. Such a slide in quality.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: