View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhumbliner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

I've gone thru the required procedure using profile 22

Code:
 [22]  default/linux/amd64/17.0/no-multilib *

and now the only kernel available to me is 4.9.49-r1

Code:
*  sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
      Latest version available: 4.9.49-r1
      Latest version installed: 4.9.49-r1
      Size of files: 92,004 KiB
      Homepage:      https://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches
      Description:   Full sources including the Gentoo patchset for the 4.9 kernel tree
      License:       GPL-2 freedist

but I'm currently running 4.12.12-gentoo

Code:
{s13:~} uname -r
4.12.12-gentoo

Is this normal? Must I revert to an older kernel?

TIA
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

rhumbliner wrote:
Is this normal? Must I revert to an older kernel?

Kernel 4.12 and 4.14 have been masked recently https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/57f754009e47732a56bb2e0259f2ac3e
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel issue is completely off-topic here, please look at one of the various existing bugs about that.

[Moderator note: this post, and the two above it, were originally posted in Profile 17.0. Per asturm's post, the post that starts this thread was off-topic in that thread, so I moved it and the responses to it out to a separate thread. -Hu]
rhumbliner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Kernel 4.12 and 4.14 have been masked recently https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/57f754009e47732a56bb2e0259f2ac3e

Thank you! Somehow this got by me.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:

Quote:
The last update that 4.12 got from upstream was 2017-09-20,
and upstream is no more backporting security fixes since then.
Because of this, we will proceed to mask 4.12.

Three months ago! How ancient! How old is the kernel that some Ubuntu user installed last year? I for one am rather sick of the "kernel of the week" obviously inadequately tested kernels coming out of kernel.org lately. Kernels used to be updated every six months to a year and 2.2 lasted quite a while alongside the radically different 2.4 The present kernels should be marked as "release candidates" by upstream rather than as "stable".

Because upstream is not issing updates anymore is no reason to mask a package, else half the tree would be masked. Have we fallen into the Microsoft update daily paradigm?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945,

It seems its Gentoos gcc

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
It seems its Gentoos gcc

Thanks for the link. Apparently it only affects Intel cpu's because I had these kernels running on two k10's and a Kaveri with no problem.

Can't this be implemented as an "r" revision with a patch to the ebuild rather than masking the whole kernel?
Code:
KBUILD_CFLAGS  += $(call cc-option,-fno-stack-check,)
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Three months ago! How ancient! How old is the kernel that some Ubuntu user installed last year? I for one am rather sick of the "kernel of the week" obviously inadequately tested kernels coming out of kernel.org lately. Kernels used to be updated every six months to a year and 2.2 lasted quite a while alongside the radically different 2.4 The present kernels should be marked as "release candidates" by upstream rather than as "stable".
As a general rule, the upstream maintainers refuse to differentiate bug fixes from security fixes, and instead categorize all fixes as "must upgrade" fixes. This leads to the problem that if you want any security fixes, you need to pull everything marked as a fix of any sort because it might be a security fix (unless you want to spend substantial programmer effort determining it is not a security fix, and you get to do this for each of the dozens of patches in each stable kernel). Combine this with the frequent difficulty of determining whether a fix (whether security or other) impacts code you use and it becomes difficult to identify kernels you can skip if you want all applicable security fixes. (You might get lucky and the fix only affects people who use some feature that you compiled out, hence applying the patch to your kernel has no impact on the generated code because you never built the bad code in the first place.) The threat model for these updates is that malicious actors can rapidly weaponize any vulnerability, and will become aware of the vulnerability $soon, where $soon ranges from "when the bug (not the fix!) was first added" to "within a few days of the fix being posted," depending on how lucky you are. If your threat model is less severe (e.g. "all my local users run only trusted code"), you can probably skip some classes of security fix - but good luck figuring out whether all the fixes in a given release fit within that more relaxed threat model, since first you need to find which fixes are even security relevant and applicable to your system, then filter those for whether you expect someone might try to exploit them.

I'd love to see some tooling that could at least address the question "Given this patch, and my kernel configuration, will applying this patch and rebuilding result in a kernel that is functionally different than the unpatched kernel?" That omits the harder steps relating to finding important patches, but is a useful first filter. If the patch doesn't change the compiled code, it can't possibly be security relevant to that configuration.
Tony0945 wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
It seems its Gentoos gcc

Thanks for the link. Apparently it only affects Intel cpu's because I had these kernels running on two k10's and a Kaveri with no problem.

Can't this be implemented as an "r" revision with a patch to the ebuild rather than masking the whole kernel?
Code:
KBUILD_CFLAGS  += $(call cc-option,-fno-stack-check,)
Probably it could. I think the mask was put in before anyone knew what caused the problem, so it was an emergency mask to prevent users breaking their kernels while debugging was done.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What Happened to 4.14 kernel? Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Because upstream is not issing updates anymore is no reason to mask a package, else half the tree would be masked. Have we fallen into the Microsoft update daily paradigm?

Kernel packages are not like other packages. Nothing is forcing you to change your kernel image even if that version is masked. But Gentoo for sure will not keep them for an unlimited time available for install when upstream discloses security vulnerabilities or other issues.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing I don't get about the versioning here: For a normal package 4.12 would be a newer version, 4.9 and older. Why doesn't this apply to gentoo-sources? I read the archived mail of gentoo-dev, but this doesn't make sense to me. Why is 4.14.x not maintained upstream but 4.9 is?
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:
There is one thing I don't get about the versioning here: For a normal package 4.12 would be a newer version, 4.9 and older. Why doesn't this apply to gentoo-sources? I read the archived mail of gentoo-dev, but this doesn't make sense to me. Why is 4.14.x not maintained upstream but 4.9 is?

Look at https://www.kernel.org/ 4.14 is stable, just not longterm like 4.4 and 4.9, eventually 4.14 will disappear like 4.11, 4.12, and 4.13
Mainline development is on 4.15 which so far has only RC release candidates, i.e. it is truly "testing". For production use you want a longterm support kernel that will have bug fixes backported. For hobby use you want 4.14 or 4.15 depending on how adventurous you are.

4.14 IS maintained upstream and the Gentoo tree has a new version roughly every week. Compare https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources to the earlier link.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 4.14.8-gentoo-r1 and it is not masked, just keyworded.
I'd rather keep it (?)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, just keep it if it works for you.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Look at https://www.kernel.org/ 4.14 is stable, just not longterm ...
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html :
Longterm release kernels

Version Maintainer          Released    Projected EOL
4.14    Greg Kroah-Hartman  2017-11-12  Jan, 2020
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html :
Longterm release kernels

Version Maintainer          Released    Projected EOL
4.14    Greg Kroah-Hartman  2017-11-12  Jan, 2020

Ah! A Stable release may or may not also be a mainline kernel. Reading the whole page you cited it makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tony0945 thank for clarifying this, that make sense.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Tony0945,

It seems its Gentoos gcc
I like how changing a default gcc option uncovering an unexpected "feature" of the kernel build is a Gentoo issues not "thanks, we should look into this"
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Tony0945,

It seems its Gentoos gcc
I like how changing a default gcc option uncovering an unexpected "feature" of the kernel build is a Gentoo issues not "thanks, we should look into this"

It's a Gentoo issue because Gentoo is applying a compiler feature to a portion of the kernel that is inherently incompatible with that compiler feature.

As I understand it, the "-fstack-check" feature inserts code to signal to the kernel that an application's stack is being extended. However, for reasons of security, predictability, and resource consumption, the kernel doesn't manage its stack the way an application does. If you try to apply application-style stack management to it, bad things happen.
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can one disable
Quote:
the gentoo compiler having some shit-for-brains "feature"

Do we need to add -fno-stack-check to the CFLAGS?
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.14.10-r1 
or
2) See http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1712.3/02522.html
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading that entire thread, it seems this is most specifically an issue if you are using the hardened profile, I don't think it is much of an issue for the regular profile (unless -fstack-check is added for the regular profile too).
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if -fstack-check is set for non-hardened profiles?
These things are now buried under layers of labyrinthine eclasses.
Not easy to tell what is happening.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can think of is a local ebuild that compiles something innocuous like "main(){exit(0);}" and looking at the screen output.

EDIT:
Froze an emerge with CTRL-S Found this line
Code:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=native -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c ping.c   -DUSE_OPENSSL  -o ping.o

There is a new kernel so I'll compile that too and try to catch the gcc lines, If you are not upgrading a kernel you can always rebuild your current kernel.

EDIT2:
Kernel compiles with stuff like
Code:
CC      drivers/acpi/acpica/utxferror.o
I have no idea what's buried in the CC macro. Hopefully, someone more adept than I knows how to expand it.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already gone to kernel 4.14.8-r1 on this machine with no problems. On my MythTV frontend which is currently on 4.12.12 I use the nVidia drivers, and I see here that that might be a problem...though I'm still unclear as to whether that's all just with hardened profiles(??). That creates a bit of a dilemma for me on that machine, because I no longer have a 4.9 version of my .config file...so I see no good way to go back to 4.9.x. What I'll probably do is to just stay on 4.12.12, even when it gets removed from portage, until a stable 4.14 is available...at least I think that's my safest option.

Tom
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop and desktop are both on gentoo-sources-4.12.12. I don't have the .config files for an earlier version any more - after all, this was a stable kernel. I am considering going to the latest unstable 4.14 branch, and if that doesn't work, staying with 4.12.12 until a newer stable kernel is available. I haven't seen any issues with 4.12.12, but of course I understand the security implications if there are no longer any backports for security issues (hence the attempt to go to 4.14).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: