View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: sddm greeter does not switch to graphics mode Reply with quote

Hi,

after switching from slim to sddm, I have on one machine a strange problem:

The greeter of sddm does not switch into graphics mode. There is sometimes random (text) garbage shown on the VT where the greeter should appear, but nothing else happens.
When I configure sddm to directly start a session as a user, this session works, but after finishing - i.e. when the greeter should appear again - again the VT remains in text mode.
With slim there is no such problem. In a running X session, the sddm greeter also starts in test mode without any problems, i.e. the greeter itself seems to be fine.

The Xorg.0.log shows more or less the same output for slim or for the direct sddm session as for the non-working greeter: So everything seems to work, it just doesn't switch into graphics mode :(

The really strange thing is: This machine is almost identical (from soft- and hardware) to a machine where everything runs fine. Both have intel graphic cards (with somewhat different revisions).
I tried with intel as well as modesetting drivers, and the behaviour did not change.

Has anybody observed a similar phenomenon or has an idea what might be the cause?
I am hesitating to write a bug report to sddm, because I have no idea whether it is really sddm which is to blame...

Further information: I do not have installed anything with USE=wayland, i.e. all what I said presumably refers only to Xorg. Maybe something needs to be wayland for the sddm greeter? (But then again: Why is there no such problem on an almost identical machine which is also USE=-wayland?)

Edit: The versions I tried are sddm-0.15.0 and sddm-0.17.0; same result with both. Also upgrading qt from 5.7.1 to 5.9.3 did not change anything.
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that could help?
Code:

root #usermod -a -G video sddm

mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. But sddm and root are already members of the group video. Actually, the /etc/{passwd,shadow,group,gshadow} files are identical on the two machines (where it works and doesn't, respectively).

What is also remarkable: Both machines have a 32bit chroot; when booting from this chroot, also there it works on the one machine and not on the other. I suspect that the different revision numbers of intel graphic cards are the fatal difference.
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god. When I see here how many support requests are made because of Intel graphics.
This must be a real pain for many users.
But I wish you much success mv.
Ma
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlo wrote:
Oh my god. When I see here how many support requests are made because of Intel graphics.

I am much happier with intel than with nvidia. sddm is the first time that there are problems, and I am very careful to blame anything. After all, it works with slim and when directly logging in, so in the moment it looks more like a bug in sddm which just manifests in very special situations.

Edit: I reported now a bug for sddm
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Marlo wrote:

I am much happier with intel than with nvidia

Recently, I tried on a machine with nvidia card and nouveau drivers (properietary nvidia drivers are decleared legacy and do not support current Xorg anymore on that machine).
Same issue.

So the problem is certainly not the graphics card but something else. I conjecture it really lies in sddm itself. Unfortunately, so far there was no reaction on the bug report.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some sddm issues on an Intel machine also. The rest are AMD, and don't see the problem.

Here's one fun thing to test, though. My Intel machine simply comes up to a black screen after boot. However if I ssh in and "/etc/init.d/sddm restart", it comes back OK. So test to see if sddm shows correctly for you, after a restart. That at least tells if we both might be looking at the same problem.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
So test to see if sddm shows correctly for you, after a restart.

No, whenever the greeter should come (no matter whether at /etc/init.d/xdm start or restart) it does not.
Also when logging out from X (as mentioned, autologin works), the greeter does not show up.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yesterday, rebooting my laptop after the Big Profile 17 rebuild, the sddm greeter showed up first time.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
Well yesterday, rebooting my laptop after the Big Profile 17 rebuild, the sddm greeter showed up first time.

I was on gcc-7 already since quite a while. Recently, I did the big conversion to 17.1, but unsurprisingly this didn't change anything.
However, the same holds for all 3 machines - the working one (with intel) as well as the two non-working ones (with intel and nouveau, respectively).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: