emerge --depclean wants to remove openrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salfter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: emerge --depclean wants to remove openrc Reply with quote

While trying to restart services controlled by /etc/init.d/local on a VPS, I found that /etc/init.d/local itself was missing. I tried rc-status to see what was running...it said "command not found." WTF? I checked another system and found that /bin/rc-status on it belonged to sys-apps/openrc. Back to the VPS.../var/log/emerge.log says that openrc was removed two weeks ago.

I let emerge -1 openrc run to get things back where they should be. emerge --depclean then wants to remove it again.

I then ran emerge -e1av virtual/service-manager. It pulled in 100 different packages, including openrc. If I follow it with emerge --depclean, it wants to remove it again.

I could emerge openrc (without -1) to add it to the world set, but I shouldn't have to do that. None of my other Gentoo systems (all of which get updated about once a week) have had this problem. Why is this particular system intent on removing openrc?
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a stupid question but are you running systemd on that install? I just had depclean propose to remove openrc on my systemd Gentoo install. Out of curiosity I went ahead and let it do it and rebooted. And here I am. Everything went fine. :)

So it appears systemd users may not always need openrc installed now. I know there was an open bug about removing the openrc requirement for systemd installs for some time. It is nice to see things finally resolved.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a news item about this from a couple of months ago, although portage just came up with this and associated dire warnings on my sync this am. The news is a bit thin, There's more information in this thread
salfter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
Maybe this is a stupid question but are you running systemd on that install?

Nope. One of the reasons (among others) that I've stayed with Gentoo is that it makes it easy to avoid that dumpster fire.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salfter wrote:
davidm wrote:

Nope. One of the reasons (among others) that I've stayed with Gentoo is that it makes it easy to avoid that dumpster fire.
Something is off. You must have systemd (or another init system) installed. Remove it and openRC will be selected by default.

I recommend masking systemd because something must have pulled it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salfter wrote:
davidm wrote:

8O I've only seen openrc --depcleaned on systemd desktops, and even then portage made a lot of noise about removing an @system package.

I haven't seen any attempt to --depclean openrc on an openrc system. There would be users chucking fits everywhere if this was a bug, so it's something on your system.

Sorry, I misread your initial post and assumed this was systemd related, the post I linked is useless for this issue.
salfter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
salfter wrote:
davidm wrote:

Something is off. You must have systemd (or another init system) installed. Remove it and openRC will be selected by default.

equery list \* | grep systemd returns nothing, as I would expect. systemd is not on this box.

ian.au wrote:
I've only seen openrc --depcleaned on systemd desktops, and even then portage made a lot of noise about removing an @system package.

I haven't seen any attempt to --depclean openrc on an openrc system. There would be users chucking fits everywhere if this was a bug, so it's something on your system.

It's a good thing I didn't have to reboot this VPS while openrc was missing. Portage does bitch about how "openrc is part of your system profile," and equery depends openrc returns net-misc/netifrc and virtual/service-manager.

Looking at the virtual/service-manager ebuild, it appears it can be satisfied by not just openrc or systemd, but also runit and daemontools. I do have daemontools installed; it's pulled in by djbdns. I've had djbdns (and daemontools) on this VPS ever since I set it up however many years ago (first entry in emerge.log is datestamped 18 April 2014), but as near as I can tell, it looks like openrc was unmerged about two weeks ago. The last change to virtual/service-manager was back in February, so that isn't it.

I had djbdns installed because I was serving up DNS records for my domains, but I've migrated that service to DirectNIC. I've uninstalled djbdns. emerge -a --depclean now wants to remove daemontools and is finally leaving openrc alone. If I bring back djbdns and then emerge -a --depclean, it wants to remove net-misc/netifrc, sys-apps/openrc, sys-apps/sysvinit, virtual/tmpfiles, and sys-apps/opentmpfiles.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --noreplace openrc

https://dev.gentoo.org/~zmedico/portage/doc/man/emerge.1.html

Because you have another manager the virtual deems openrc redundant. The above command will put openrc in the world file without re-emerging it or doing a risky edit.
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

I too am in the same boat now as @salfter: I have a kvm/QEMU host which is purely OPENRC with these installed packages:
Code:
sys-apps/openrc-0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r9::gentoo

And 'depclean' now wants to remove:
Code:
!!! 'sys-apps/openrc' (virtual/service-manager) is part of your system profile.
!!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.

sys-apps/openrc
    selected: 0.34.11
   protected: none
     omitted: none

virtual/tmpfiles
    selected: 0

sys-apps/sysvinit
    selected: 2.88-r9

sys-apps/opentmpfiles
    selected: 0.1.3

WTF?!?!?! I don't know what to do with VIRTUAL Paperweights, when all my KVM guests would be taken off-line :-O

This showed up after a downgrade from kernel-4.12.12 to 4.9.72-gentoo ("stable" changed, and this is a production system that I need to keep stable... 4.12.12 brought a few weeks of horrible head-scratching weirdness, but it was after profile-changes, GCC-changes, etc. making the introduction of funkiness hard to pin down. With all these changes, again on dozens of production servers, December was the month of pogo-servers being rebooted every few hours to effect new kernel-changes :cry: ).

Here's my fairly-short world file:
Code:
# cat /var/lib/portage/world
app-admin/denyhosts
app-admin/logrotate
app-admin/sudo
app-admin/syslog-ng
app-admin/tripwire
app-backup/amanda
app-editors/emacs
app-editors/nano
app-editors/vim
app-emulation/libvirt
app-emulation/qemu
app-emulation/virt-manager
app-misc/screen
app-portage/gentoolkit
media-gfx/imagemagick
net-analyzer/nagios-plugins
net-analyzer/nrpe
net-dialup/minicom
net-firewall/iptables
net-misc/bridge-utils
net-misc/ifenslave
net-misc/ntp
net-misc/openssh
sys-apps/ethtool
sys-apps/lm_sensors
sys-apps/logwatch
sys-apps/lshw
sys-apps/mlocate
sys-apps/pciutils
sys-apps/portage
sys-apps/smartmontools
sys-apps/xinetd
sys-block/megacli
sys-boot/grub
sys-devel/binutils
sys-devel/binutils-config
sys-devel/gcc
sys-devel/gcc-config
sys-fs/lsscsi
sys-fs/xfsprogs
sys-kernel/genkernel
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
sys-libs/glibc
sys-libs/gpm
sys-process/htop
sys-process/iotop
sys-process/supervise-scripts
sys-process/vixie-cron
virtual/os-headers
www-client/links

Since this is one of dozens of production systems: what do I do?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have USE=prefix enabled, by chance?

Because the virtual/service-manager ebuild
Code:
   prefix? ( >=sys-apps/baselayout-prefix-2.2 )
   !prefix? (
      || (
      sys-apps/openrc
      kernel_linux? ( || (
         sys-apps/systemd
         sys-process/runit
         virtual/daemontools
   ) ) ) )

should make portage always prefer openrc over systemd. Did you already check that sys-apps/systemd is *not* installed? (the world is not enough)
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
You don't have USE=prefix enabled, by chance?

Here are my three USE-flags, as they appear in make.conf:
Code:
USE="qemu xfs -X"

emerge --info shows all the USE-flags, besides the three I set:
Code:
USE="acl amd64 bzip2 crypt cxx hardened iconv ipv6 multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre pie qemu readline seccomp ssl ssp unicode xattr xfs xtpax zlib"

And no, there is no systemd; I am 100% certain of that!!
Code:
# emerge -pv systemd

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-arch/lz4-1.8.0:0/r131::gentoo  USE="-static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 218 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/systemd-233-r6:0/2::gentoo  USE="acl gcrypt kmod lz4 pam seccomp ssl (-apparmor) -audit -build -cryptsetup -curl -doc -elfutils -gnuefi -http -idn -importd -lzma -nat -policykit -qrcode (-selinux) -sysv-utils {-test} -vanilla -xkb" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 43 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7::gentoo  63 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus-1.10.18::gentoo  USE="systemd* -X -debug -doc (-elogind) (-selinux) -static-libs {-test} -user-session" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7, sys-apps/systemd-233-r6)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/udev-233)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/udev-233)

For completeness, here is my entire 'emerge --info' output:
Code:
# emerge --info
Portage 2.3.13 (python 3.5.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/hardened, gcc-6.4.0, glibc-2.25-r9, 4.9.72-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.9.72-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU_E5-2680_v2_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:   131858616 total, 122456352 free
KiB Swap:   49151996 total,  49151996 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 21:45:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: cfe6316c2530c1534fb94e315eb1ccc102eae7e5
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.3::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.10-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r9::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://musashi.iat.sfu.ca/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

x-portage
    masters: gentoo
    priority: 0

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="rsync://musashi.iat.sfu.ca/gentoo http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://gentoo.arcticnetworks.ca"
LANG="en_CA.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j41"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="acl amd64 bzip2 crypt cxx hardened iconv ipv6 multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre pie qemu readline seccomp ssl ssp unicode xattr xfs xtpax zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="x86_64" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="x86_64" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python is implicated.

Before:

Code:
# eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
  [1]   python3.4
  [2]   python3.5 (fallback)
  [3]   python2.7 (fallback)

and with this configuration, depclean wants to remove OpenRC! I don't recall ever messing with this file before, but I may have (sometimes 'fail2ban' or 'denyhosts' get fussy and crash...?).

I made one single edit, by adding this line to the bottom of /etc/python-exec/python-exec.conf:
Code:
python2.7

After:

Code:
# eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
  [1]   python3.4
  [2]   python2.7
  [3]   python3.5 (fallback)

VOILA! I now get rational behaviour from my system! 'depclean' is no longer harassing OpenRC!
AndCycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just hit this and fixed by make python2.7 as preferred interpreter, is there anything wrong if I prefer 3.6?

what the hell is going on here I wonder ...
arantius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently also set up a Gentoo instance inside KVM . Very OpenRC, very no systemd. First time `emerge -ac` it wanted to remove openrc! `emerge --noreplace openrc` "fixed" it. (It also wants to remove nano, but that's fine by me!)
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose virtual/service-manager sys-apps/systemd sys-process/runit virtual/daemontools sys-apps/openrc on a system where emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean sys-apps/openrc offers to remove openrc?
AndCycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is

emerge --pretend --verbose virtual/service-manager sys-apps/systemd sys-process/runit virtual/daemontools sys-apps/openrc
Code:
root 16:01:29 /var/lib/portage [0] # emerge --pretend --verbose virtual/service-manager sys-apps/systemd sys-process/runit virtual/daemontools sys-apps/openrc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild  N     ] sys-process/runit-2.1.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-static" 108 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/daemontools-0::gentoo  0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/systemd-241-r3:0/2::gentoo  USE="acl gcrypt kmod lz4 pam pcre (policykit) resolvconf seccomp split-usr ssl sysv-utils -apparmor -audit -build -cryptsetup -curl -elfutils -gnuefi -http -idn -importd -libidn2 -lzma -nat -qrcode (-selinux) -test -vanilla -xkb" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 7,462 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus-1.12.16::gentoo  USE="X systemd* -debug -doc -elogind (-selinux) -static-libs -test -user-session" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7::gentoo  63 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.41.2::gentoo  USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode -audit -bash -debug -newnet (-prefix) (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] virtual/service-manager-0::gentoo  USE="(-prefix)" 0 KiB
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2.5)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/sysvinit ("sys-apps/sysvinit" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-241-r3)
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/eudev ("sys-fs/eudev" is blocking sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7)
[blocks B      ] net-dns/openresolv ("net-dns/openresolv" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-241-r3)
[blocks B      ] sys-fs/eudev ("sys-fs/eudev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-241-r3)
[blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/eudev-3.2.5)

Total: 7 packages (3 new, 4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 7,632 KiB
Conflict: 6 blocks (6 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-fs/eudev-3.2.5:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,
      abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_riscv_lp64d(-)?,
      abi_riscv_lp64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?] (>=sys-fs/eudev-1.3:0/0[abi_x86_64(-)]) required by (virtual/libudev-232:0/1::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-fs/eudev-2.1.1 required by (virtual/udev-217:0/0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/sysvinit-2.93:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6[selinux?] (>=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6) required by (sys-apps/openrc-0.41.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(sys-apps/systemd-241-r3:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sys-apps/systemd:0= required by (sys-apps/dbus-1.12.16:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-apps/systemd required by (virtual/tmpfiles-0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-apps/systemd-207 required by (sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    sys-apps/systemd

(net-dns/openresolv-3.9.0:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    net-dns/openresolv required by @selected

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Portage#Blocked_packages

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by sys-apps/systemd-241-r3::gentoo
# required by sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7::gentoo
>=sys-apps/dbus-1.12.16 systemd

* In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
 * due to the above autounmask change(s). The --autounmask-backtrack=y
 * option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
 * guarantee that it will produce a solution.
root 16:02:16 /var/lib/portage [1] #

and this command doesn't want to remove openrc
emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean sys-apps/openrc
Code:
root 16:04:28 ~ [0] # emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean sys-apps/openrc

sys-apps/openrc-0.41.2 pulled in by:
    net-misc/netifrc-0.5.1 requires >=sys-apps/openrc-0.15
    virtual/service-manager-0 requires sys-apps/openrc

>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
Packages installed:   1403
Packages in world:    274
Packages in system:   43
Required packages:    1403
Number to remove:     0
root 16:05:42 ~ [0] #

but
emerge --pretend --depclean
do want openrc gone, sometimes, not always, yes you read this correct, the result is not stable, kind of thing that freak people out.

Code:
root 16:07:25 ~ [130] # emerge --pretend --depclean

* Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
 * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
 * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
 * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
 * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
 * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
 * consequence of this, it often becomes necessary to run
 * `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.

>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

selected: 4.19.52
     omitted: 4.19.57

dev-lang/spidermonkey
    selected: 52.9.1_pre1
     omitted: 60.5.2_p0-r2

dev-libs/judy
    selected: 1.0.5-r2

sys-devel/binutils
    selected: 2.31.1-r6
     omitted: 2.32-r1

net-misc/netifrc
    selected: 0.5.1

!!! 'sys-apps/openrc' (virtual/service-manager) is part of your system profile.
!!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.

sys-apps/openrc
    selected: 0.41.2

sys-apps/sysvinit
    selected: 2.93

All selected packages: =dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1 =sys-devel/binutils-2.31.1-r6 =sys-apps/sysvinit-2.93 =dev-libs/judy-1.0.5-r2 =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.19.52 =sys-apps/openrc-0.41.2 =net-misc/netifrc-0.5.1

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Required packages:    1396
Number to remove:     7
root 16:08:11 ~ [0] #

Code:
root 16:28:31 /etc/portage/package.mask [0] #  emerge --pretend --depclean

* Always study the list of packages to be cleaned for any obvious
 * mistakes. Packages that are part of the world set will always
 * be kept.  They can be manually added to this set with
 * `emerge --noreplace <atom>`.  Packages that are listed in
 * package.provided (see portage(5)) will be removed by
 * depclean, even if they are part of the world set.
 * As a safety measure, depclean will not remove any packages
 * unless *all* required dependencies have been resolved.  As a
 * consequence of this, it often becomes necessary to run
 * `emerge --update --newuse --deep @world` prior to depclean.

>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/spidermonkey
    selected: 52.9.1_pre1
     omitted: 60.5.2_p0-r2

selected: 4.19.52
     omitted: 4.19.57

dev-libs/judy
    selected: 1.0.5-r2

sys-devel/binutils
    selected: 2.31.1-r6
     omitted: 2.32-r1

All selected packages: =dev-libs/judy-1.0.5-r2 =dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1 =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.19.52 =sys-devel/binutils-2.31.1-r6

>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.

Required packages:    1399
Number to remove:     4
root 16:32:36 /etc/portage/package.mask [0] #

Wrapped long lines to make the forum layout behave.Chiitoo
AndCycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unstable result
Code:
root 16:51:58 ~ [0] # for n in {1..10}; do (echo $(emerge --pretend --depclean)|grep -q openrc && echo bad || echo what); done 2> /dev/null
what
bad
what
bad
bad
bad
what
bad
bad
what
root 16:55:51 ~ [0] #
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange. The only guess I can offer is that there is some algorithm in use that depends on receiving dictionary elements in a particular order, and the "bad" Python versions return the elements in an undefined order, while the "good" versions return the elements in a consistent order. I see that gordonp had what is now a very old version of Portage, but that post is more than a year ago, so it's not necessarily relevant anymore. For the system with the inconsistent results, what is the output of emerge --info?
AndCycle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here comes the emerge --info
Code:
root 15:56:06 ~ [0] # emerge --info
Portage 2.3.66 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-8.3.0, glibc-2.29-r2, 4.19.57-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.19.57-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Xeon-R-_CPU_E3-1231_v3_@_3.40GHz-with-gentoo-2.6
KiB Mem:    32667664 total,  10469392 free
KiB Swap:   33535996 total,  33535996 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 388c1f507acf4203196c3ebdd1650d25435006ae
sh bash 4.4_p23-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.31.1 p7) 2.31.1
[/quote]ccache version 3.6 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p23-r1::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:     2.2.0-r4::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.28.2-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.15::gentoo, 3.6.5::gentoo
dev-util/ccache:          3.6::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.14.3::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.6-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.41.2::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13-r1::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r3::gentoo, 1.16.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.31.1-r6::gentoo, 2.32-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            8.3.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.20::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.29-r2::gentoo
Repositories:

local
    priority: 500

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: 1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes

local-override
    priority: 2000

Installed sets: @fail2ban-dep, @python-dev, @sanoid-depend, @zfs-dep
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/netdata/conf.d /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt /var/lib/unifi /var/spool/munin-async/.ssh"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cg
i-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php7.3/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg cgroup config-protect-if-modified distlocks downgrade-backup ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetc
h pid-sandbox prelink-checksums preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-backup unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en ja zh_TW"
MAKEOPTS="--jobs=8"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_COMPRESS="xz"
PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS="-0 --threads=0"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.g
it"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 bash-completion berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo caps cdda cdr cjk cli consolekit crypt cups cxx dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam fftw flac fortran gdbm gif glamo
r gpm gtk iconv icu ipv6 jemalloc jpeg kde kipi kwallet lcms ldap libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds qml qt5 readline sdl seccomp semant
ic-desktop spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd threads tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vim-syntax vorbis widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xcomposite xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiix
p-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic auth_digest authn_anon authn_dbd aut
hn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers ident imag
emap include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation proxy rewrite setenvif so speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias reqtimeout slotmem_shm proxy_fcgi authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb http2 proxy_h
ttp proxy_html xml2enc" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 pclmul popcnt sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="
glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPU
T_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" L10N="en ja zh-TW" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" NETBEANS_MODU
LES="apisupport cnd groovy gsf harness ide identity j2ee java mobility nb php profiler soa visualweb webcommon websvccommon xml" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-2" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres10 postgres11" PYTHON_SIN
GLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev mga intel vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee t
arpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

root 15:56:09 ~ [0] #
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: