blueman problem [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd2066
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: blueman problem [solved] Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm been upgrading packages on my system and one of the last was dbus and now blueman doesn't seem to work.
When I run blueman-manager in a terminal window, I the following error:
Quote:
Loading configuration plugins
Using gconf config backend
_________
on_bluez_name_owner_changed (/usr/bin/blueman-manager:104)
org.bluez owner changed to :1.0
Using gconf config backend
_________
SetAdapter (/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/blueman/gui/DeviceList.py:300)
None
ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on org.bluez:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 2 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.49" (uid=11115 pid=4548 comm="/usr/bin/python2.6 /usr/bin/blueman-manager ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member="Introspect" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.bluez" (uid=0 pid=28087 comm="/usr/sbin/bluetoothd --udev ")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 586, in msg_reply_handler
reply_handler(*message.get_args_list(**get_args_opts))
File "/usr/bin/blueman-manager", line 153, in on_bluez_name_owner_changed
self.List = ManagerDeviceList(adapter=self.Config.props.last_adapter, inst=self)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/blueman/gui/manager/ManagerDeviceList.py", line 71, in __init__
DeviceList.__init__(self, adapter, data)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/blueman/gui/DeviceList.py", line 121, in __init__
self.SetAdapter(adapter)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/blueman/gui/DeviceList.py", line 331, in SetAdapter
except dbus.DBusServiceUnknownError:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'DBusServiceUnknownError'

Before this I could use blueman to connect to my headphones via bluetooth and listen to things with my headphones.
Does anyone have any idea what this error message means?
Justin

Last edited by jd2066 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jd2066
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a few config files and googled a few things.
The problem was that /var/run/console/[MYUSER] wasn't being created which allowed '<policy at_console="true">' in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf to work.
I don't know why that is but I found a workaround, I added the following to the config file:
Code:
  <policy group="wheel">
    <allow send_destination="org.bluez"/>
  </policy>

It lets users of the wheel group send messages to bluez via dbus and my user is in the wheel group so blueman works now and I can use my headphones again.
SMOKEING
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an entry in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf which suggests adding a user to group 'plugdev' would (also) be sufficient:

Code:
  <policy group="plugdev">                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  </policy>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
jd2066
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEING wrote:
There's an entry in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf which suggests adding a user to group 'plugdev' would (also) be sufficient:

Code:
  <policy group="plugdev">                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  </policy>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

As my last post was nearly 6 years ago, it's hard to say if was the correct solution at the time (it may have been).
I can say that currently, that file has the lines you listed instead of the lines from my last post and my user is a member of the plugdev group.
When the file changed and I added my user to the plugdev group, I don't remember but it seems that must have happened.
I'm sure I just used wheel at first because my user was already of that group, I would have had to relogin for any group changes to take place and I may not have been sure what the correct group was at first.

All I can say for sure is that bluez has been a major PITA in the past due to a lack of documentation from the bluez developers and having to figure out the magic configuration required so that I could have an app like blueman or bluedevil tell bluez to connect/disconnect from a bluetooth device while having pulseaudio have an output source created/removed on demand whenever an audio device is connected/disconnected.

Fortunately, it has worked fairly well for the last couple years now without much issue.

Hopefully, whenever the next major bluez release happens, the developers don't attempt to rewrite it and require something more insane then dbus like systemd or it will be back to the major PITA days.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: