View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinity7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Remote connection to Xfce GUI Reply with quote

I have a server with Gentoo and Xfce running. My goal is to get remote connection to Xfce GUI.

1) How can I do that?
2) I already have remote connection through SSH and use PuTTY in Windows to connect. Can it help?
soitgoes0745
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are connecting via Windows I believe you need Xming in conjunction with putty. If you aren’t connecting from a windows machine but rather another *Nix machine, I believe the -X flag for ssh might work.

Code:

$ ssh -X username@ipaddress

Someone else might have a more effective option to accomplish this, but I have used both of the above methods in the past.

Best Regards
Infinity7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soitgoes0745 wrote:
If you are connecting via Windows I believe you need Xming in conjunction with putty. If you aren’t connecting from a windows machine but rather another *Nix machine, I believe the -X flag for ssh might work.

Code:

$ ssh -X username@ipaddress

Someone else might have a more effective option to accomplish this, but I have used both of the above methods in the past.

Best Regards

Yeah, I want to connect from Windows. Sorry I didn't specify in the first message.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what X server is your Xfce session displayed? If it is a VNC server, you only need a Windows-hosted VNC client. If it is a native X server, you need some mechanism to clone the display to the network.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ssh-based solution is x2go. I've used it to connect to remote X sessions in an rdesktop-like fashion. It's awfully slow and fonts look terrible unless you use the same exact resolution in both ends, though. But it works.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2go works for me perfectly fine - it's fast (as long as you do not set Connection Speed to LAN since some features get disabled by this, e.g., compression) and fonts look smooth (to me). You can connect from both Windows and Linux.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamViewer 13 (when someone releases an ebuild for Gentoo Linux)?

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

(Unlike TeamView 12 and earlier, TeamViewer 13 for Linux is a native Linux application; no more WINE. And it is also available for Windows, MacOS, ChromeOS, Android and iOS.)

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Infinity7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
On what X server is your Xfce session displayed? If it is a VNC server, you only need a Windows-hosted VNC client. If it is a native X server, you need some mechanism to clone the display to the network.

How can I find out?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
x2go works for me perfectly fine - it's fast (as long as you do not set Connection Speed to LAN since some features get disabled by this, e.g., compression) and fonts look smooth (to me). You can connect from both Windows and Linux.

I suspect the fonts problem happens when downscaling. In other words: you have a big monitor at the office and connect from a regular monitor with a lesser resolution from somewhere else. Upscaling might not be a problem, and if resolutions match then everything will look just fine. But, font rendering is such a complex thing...

Connection speed, on the other side, never was good for me, I am fairly sure it wasn't a configuration issue, and it might very well have to do with this same high-resolution thing... that hurts remotes badly.

I say just try it and see if it works for you.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not connect to a local session, hence, when connecting remotely a new session is established. So your example with down-/up-scaling makes no sense to me, neither for font nor for speed issues.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
You do not connect to a local session, hence, when connecting remotely a new session is established. So your example with down-/up-scaling makes no sense to me, neither for font nor for speed issues.

I am perfectly sure I used x2go to connect to running sessions, that was all I did in fact. My office computer was never turned off and I had to connect to it continuously to check things and stuff. Your use case might be different, but, either way, this conversation won't help the OP.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:)
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
TeamViewer 13 (when someone releases an ebuild for Gentoo Linux)?

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

(Unlike TeamView 12 and earlier, TeamViewer 13 for Linux is a native Linux application; no more WINE. And it is also available for Windows, MacOS, ChromeOS, Android and iOS.)

https://gpo.zugaina.org/net-misc/teamviewer-bin

EDIT: Not my ebuild.

Last edited by mrbassie on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie,

Nice. Thanks. I hope it gets into the main tree soon.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use x2go on a daily basis and love its speed and the fact that you can suspend a session and then resume as you left it at an entirely different location. Also it allows multiple user sessions whereas I do not believe that VNC does that?

An alternative that I played with a couple of years ago and is still in active development is xpra which did a good job, I was just more comfortable with x2go
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
massimo wrote:

I suspect the fonts problem happens when downscaling. In other words: you have a big monitor at the office and connect from a regular monitor with a lesser resolution from somewhere else. Upscaling might not be a problem, and if resolutions match then everything will look just fine. But, font rendering is such a complex thing...

Connection speed, on the other side, never was good for me, I am fairly sure it wasn't a configuration issue, and it might very well have to do with this same high-resolution thing... that hurts remotes badly.

I say just try it and see if it works for you.

I rarely use the desktop sharing but I would agree when I have it has not been a smooth experience, however that may have been addressed now?

https://www.mail-archive.com/x2go-announcements@lists.x2go.org/msg00146.html

though I have not tested it
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
mrbassie,

Nice. Thanks. I hope it gets into the main tree soon.

I should have pointed out in my earlier post, that ebuild is not mine.

If you were just thanking me for the link, you're most welcome.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the teamviewer-bin-13.0.5693.ebuild from the maggu2810-overlay overlay and installed it via my local overlay instead. I then used TeamViewer 13 Preview for Linux successfully to view and control the Windows 7 desktop of a remote user, and he used TeamViewer 13 for Windows on his Windows 7 machine to view and control the KDE Plasma 5 desktop of my Gentoo Linux laptop. The only thing missing from this TeamViewer 13 Preview for Linux is that I cannot see a pull-down menu bar when I move my mouse pointer to the top of the KDE Plasma 5 desktop while I am viewing the remote Windows desktop, and therefore I cannot select 'Switch sides with partner' (the Windows user can switch sides when he connects to the desktop in my Gentoo Linux installation, though). That is not a big deal, though, because we can connect in either direction from our respective TeamViewer main menu window.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
soitgoes0745
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo,

Does Teamviewer still slam you with advertisements? I seem to remember they used to ~3 years ago. Perhaps I am thinking of another software.

** Edit **

I’m also curious if the OP found a solution for his remote GUI access. Please let us know if you did.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soitgoes0745,

No, TeamViewer does not display any adverts when I use it. The earlier versions 9 to 12 didn't either.

Based on my experiments with TeamViewer 13, I would recommend the OP installs TeamViewer 13 Preview for Linux on his machine running Xfce in Gentoo Linux, and TeamViewer 13 for Windows on his Windows machine. That worked in my case, albeit my Gentoo Linux installation uses KDE rather than Xfce. Worth trying with Xfce, as I find TeamViewer works well.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious to someone reading this who has never used it before, TeamViewer consists of a service plus an application. The ebuild installs the initscript (OpenRC) or unit file (systemd). You can either launch the service manually, or configure your installation to launch it automatically at startup. I use OpenRC and I prefer to launch the initscript manually, so I enter the command "rc-service teamviewerd start" as root user, followed by the command "teamviewer" under my normal user account to launch the TeamViewer GUI window to configure and manage TeamViewer.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: