Kernel 4.12.12 locks up setting system time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awright2009
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Kernel 4.12.12 locks up setting system time Reply with quote

So that was the original problem, I then set rc-update to not set time at bootup and locked up in a different location (will get exact point in a bit, currently compiling 4.9.49-r1 to see if that version will boot)

Hardware:
AMD Threadripper 1950x
Gigabyte Gaming 7
Nvidia GTX1080TI
Samsung 960 Pro's

Have a http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ liveusb

Using genkernel all (manually adding nvme to menuconfig as it wasnt being loaded for some reason eg: initramfs kernel shell had no /dev/nvme entries)

Have grub booting from uefi, it starts the initramfs, then the genkernel 4.12.12 fails

I also tried getting centos minimal working earlier and ran into some nvidia issue that required pcie_aspm=off -- but got some other error after that point as well

Edit: Kernel 4.9.49-r1 works: It boots, I can log into the non graphical shell and make a user etc, but I still need my ethernet kernel module and wifi kernel modules though, but that's a setup problem I'm sure (maybe the modules got lost or something)

In terms of 4.12.12: I see the following as the last line before locking up:

Executing: /lib64/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /lib64/rc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/bootmisc start

photo: https://i.imgur.com/4oqvZEh.jpg

Also consider adding this to the guide some place:
mount -o remount,rw /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Seems you cant alter uefi entries without explicitly marking it read/write

I'm using the latest 17.0/desktop profile

Edit2: Finally got around to finishing the install this weekend, accidentally deleted my 4.12.12 kernel, so I just continued with the working 4.9 -- I did go back and replace disk labels with blkid's in my fstab though. If/When I upgrade for the whole spectre / meltdown thing we'll see if it comes back

Got Mate installed, and wifi working, I needed to download a newer firmware for the wifi from intel's webpage and copy it over an existing firmware in /lib/firmware -- but other than that everything went pretty smoothly... and boy does it compile fast, I went from stage3 to a desktop environment with full X11 and libreoffice, gimp, etc in an hour or so not days

Last edited by awright2009 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awright2009,

Your grub.cfg and /etc/fstab would be interesting.

The photo shows root being mounted read/write which is a good thing but the system cannot find your partitions by LABEL.
Notice the errors for boot and swap.

Fix those, depending on your, fstab, they can cause boot to fail.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: