[SOLVED] gcc 5.4.0 vs hardening
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] gcc 5.4.0 vs hardening Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm trying to do some upgrading, in preparation for moving to profile 17. I'm still at 13.

I have a VM on which I do most of my package building, before I try it out on any of my live server machines. I seem to have gotten my VM into a state where it will only build hardened compilers, even though I'm not running a hardened profile. When I

# gcc-config -l

I get only the plain x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-5.4.0, no -vanilla or -hardened* variants. The same seems to be true for 6.4.0.

I've tried switching back to an old 4.9.3 gcc which I haven't unmerged yet, same thing. I get the same results regardless of which version I use to compile the new ones. I've confirmed that I'm running profile default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib

I have a feeling I've busted something in the env, but I don't know what. Before I blow the whole thing away and start over, does anybody have any ideas what I've done to myself?

Thanks in advance . . .

Last edited by therealjrd on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: gcc 5.4.0 vs hardening Reply with quote

therealjrd wrote:
Hi all. I'm trying to do some upgrading, in preparation for moving to profile 17. I'm still at 13.

I have a VM on which I do most of my package building, before I try it out on any of my live server machines. I seem to have gotten my VM into a state where it will only build hardened compilers, even though I'm not running a hardened profile. When I

# gcc-config -l

I get only the plain x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-5.4.0, no -vanilla or -hardened* variants. The same seems to be true for 6.4.0.

I've tried switching back to an old 4.9.3 gcc which I haven't unmerged yet, same thing. I get the same results regardless of which version I use to compile the new ones. I've confirmed that I'm running profile default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib

I have a feeling I've busted something in the env, but I don't know what. Before I blow the whole thing away and start over, does anybody have any ideas what I've done to myself?

Thanks in advance . . .

I'm running gcc 6.4.0 on default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma, and my gcc-config -l looks like this:
Code:
andrew@Andrew-Gentoo ~ $ gcc-config -l
 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-6.4.0 *

I believe you only get the option vanilla/hardened if you actually run a hardened profile, the wiki page shiws this for a hardened system:
Code:
root #gcc-config -l

[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3-hardenednopie
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3-hardenednopiessp
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3-hardenednossp
[5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.5.3-vanilla

GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: gcc 5.4.0 vs hardening Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:

I believe you only get the option vanilla/hardened if you actually run a hardened profile, the wiki page shiws this for a hardened system:

Ah. Of course. That makes all kinds of sense. I guess I must have been playing with hardened profiles and left some detritus behind.

I'll confirm that tonight. Many thanks!
therealjrd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closing the loop, yes, switching to a non-hardened profile and rebuilding the toolchain did what I expected.

I have a separate problem stemming from this exercise, will post separately.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: