New Profile Update, Steam Linux-Client, Games no longer run
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: New Profile Update, Steam Linux-Client, Games no longer run Reply with quote

Updated my profile to 17.0 as per the news item and followed the instructions to rebuild @world. 12 hours later 2 of my installed games via Steam Linux-Client will no longer run. Both Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel will start to launch, go to full screen then quietly shut down.

Log doesn't give me any real clue as to why:
Code:

GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction[AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask: 0
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 9104, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 9104 for game ID 49520
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/michael/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/michael/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 49520, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 9105 for game ID 49520
Game update: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 9105, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 49520
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197993970556 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/michael/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
env: ‘lspci’: No such file or directory
>>> Adding process 9109 for game ID 49520
env: ‘lspci’: No such file or directory
>>> Adding process 9124 for game ID 49520
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20171030190939)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)
Game removed: AppID 49520 "Borderlands 2", ProcID 9105
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

TIA..... :?
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume this is related to the new security feature - PIE (position independent executable) - being enabled by default.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo: could you provide a citation for that explanation? Steam is notorious for shipping precompiled proprietary programs, which would be completely unaffected by a change in how the compiler builds programs. None of the output shown seems to implicate PIE in any way.

OldTango: you may need to increase the debug level of those programs or, if you are very unlucky, use a modified version with enhanced debug output. If, as I suspect, these are proprietary games, you will need the assistance of their master to create a modified debug enhanced version.
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1072738-highlight-.html
Basically it boils down to mesa bugs in x32 build when built with recent gcc.
stqn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borderlands 2 still works for me.
Steam installed with the steam runtime, STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES = 0, nvidia blob.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
massimo: could you provide a citation for that explanation? Steam is notorious for shipping precompiled proprietary programs, which would be completely unaffected by a change in how the compiler builds programs. None of the output shown seems to implicate PIE in any way.

OldTango: you may need to increase the debug level of those programs or, if you are very unlucky, use a modified version with enhanced debug output. If, as I suspect, these are proprietary games, you will need the assistance of their master to create a modified debug enhanced version.

I agree and after researching PIE I found it difficult to believe it alone could be the source of the problem. I believe the problem was already there "just hiding under the surface". With 1000 packages on my system most compiled with versions of gcc-4.* and gcc-5.* and after a complete world rebuild with gcc-6.4.0 the problem finally showed up. What ever the cause (on to the solution) which I am having some trouble understanding as to why it works at all.

If I set the empty variable
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=
under the launch options for Borderlands 2 the game will launch and run great with one exception. The Steam in game Overlay will not function, which it did before my world update.

My working "Borderlands 2" launch options are:
Code:
SSL_CERT_DIR="/etc/ssl/certs" LD_PRELOAD= %command% -nostartupmovies
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the steam overlay's crashing there for the same reason mumble's overlay crashes (bug 527504)?
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
I wonder if the steam overlay's crashing there for the same reason mumble's overlay crashes (bug 527504)?

I got the steam overlay to work again after testing several different launch options for both Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

As it turns out, I only needed to set the -nostartupmovies option.

Current working launch options are:
Code:
SSL_CERT_DIR="/etc/ssl/certs" %command% -nostartupmovies
So it looks like the start up movies are actually causing the problems. Its not a big deal as I just clicked through them in the past anyway, but I am curious as to why.
zlg
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:

Code:
So it looks like the start up movies are actually causing the problems. Its not a big deal as I just clicked through them in the past anyway, but I am curious as to why.

Thanks for figuring this out! I was starting to think it was my Gentoo system that was borked, but I still had issues after cleaning up /etc/portage and whatnot. `-nostartupmovies` did the trick! (The SSL thing is for SHiFT and has multiple work-arounds) You might want to put this info on our wiki so others can find it; you've already saved at least two people from trouble!
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you guys are talking about borderlands, but fwiw, I don't have any problems launching cities skylines post upgrade. I don't have many steam linux games, I think the only other ones I have are HL/HL2 based. I had considered buying f1 2017 though.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlg wrote:
OldTango wrote:

Code:

Thanks for figuring this out! I was starting to think it was my Gentoo system that was borked, but I still had issues after cleaning up /etc/portage and whatnot. `-nostartupmovies` did the trick! (The SSL thing is for SHiFT and has multiple work-arounds) You might want to put this info on our wiki so others can find it; you've already saved at least two people from trouble!

A little more testing has revealed additional problems with the games Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. The '-nostartupmovies' allows both games to start and play. However, the game may still close (crash) if you try to create a new character, encounter Scooter for the first time in Sanctuary or fast travel to a DLC location your character hasn't already been too. Basically anytime a full length movie (.bik file) is played.

To work-around this problem you will need to edit the willowengine.ini file.

Borderlands2 file location > ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands 2/willowgame/config/willowengine.ini
The Pre-Sequel file location > ~/.local/share/aspyr-media/borderlands the pre-sequel/willowgame/config/willowengine.ini

Make the following change:
Code:
[FullScreenMovie]
bForceNoMovies=TRUE   (change this line from FALSE to TRUE)
StartupMovies=Aspyr
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=2K_Australia_Logo
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=Aspyr
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=2k_Australia_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=MegaIntro
ConfirmSkipMovies=MegaIntro
BinkSkipTimeout=5.0
BinkSkipDelay=0.5
BinkSkipTextX=0.6
BinkSkipTextY=0.8

Making this change will allow both games to be playable without crashing, but a lot of the games story won't be revealed to newcomers to the games.

These are work-arounds for the problems not fixes. I am still researching the cause and looking for a fix if that is even possible.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
I know you guys are talking about borderlands, but fwiw, I don't have any problems launching cities skylines post upgrade. I don't have many steam linux games, I think the only other ones I have are HL/HL2 based. I had considered buying f1 2017 though.

Installing and running the Steam Linux client form the Steam-Overlay per the recommended method on the Gentoo Wiki works without issues. The Steam Linux client appears to function as good if not better than the Steam Windows client does. The few parts that don't work are simply because they aren't supported on the Linux client (yet). Games are another matter.

Many great games ie: DOOM4/Far Cry Series/RAGE don't have native linux support and simply won't run on linux without using WINE. Games ported to linux may run just fine or they may experience issues and bugs that require some kind of work-around or user sacrifice to be playable. Games developed for linux usually just work ie: HL/HL2 based.

Its a shame that the linux platform is always last for inclusion from game developers if at all..... :(
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlg wrote:

You might want to put this info on our wiki so others can find it; you've already saved at least two people from trouble!

Done Gentoo Wiki
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder whats causing the movies to crash it tho... it used to work...
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn wrote:
i wonder whats causing the movies to crash it tho... it used to work...

I believe it has something to do with Steams built in libopenal, though I haven't had much time to investigate it much. There are reports and works a rounds for it. So far I haven't gotten any of them to work yet. There is a post about it HERE.

The movies are stored in ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Borderlands2/steamassets/willowgame/movies along with other loactions depending on the version of the game you have and any DLC's you may have. They are in .bik format and it seems that only files greater than 2MB or so in size will fail. Others seem to play fine. I can open and play all of the movies in VLC without issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: