View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] scim 1.4.14 not working properly in openbox 3.6.1 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm not quite sure whether this topic belongs here, but recently I've installed a fresh Gentoo (stage3-amd64-20171123) on my new laptop and ran into some problems. Namely, subj. First abnormality with scim I encountered was failed build with brand new gcc 6.4.0 which is now default on x86-64 (something C++ specific). I emerged gcc 5.4.0-r3 and rebuilt scim with it (only these packages were built with gcc 5.4). Success for now. Along with scim I also emerged scim-anthy, scim-pinyin and scim-tables. As I wanted to stick with openbox in this new installation, I emerged only bare minimum of software, including openbox 3.6.1, tint2 and like. I added required environment variables into ~/.config/openbox/environment, added scim -d to ~/.config/openbox/autostart. The process actually starts with openbox and adds its icon to tint2's tray. I can right-click it and setup scim, I observe scim-processes spawned in background and running. Anthy and pinyin IMEs are listed there, in scim configuration dialog. But neither left-click on the icon nor default trigger control+space work. Simply put, scim renders unusable. I found not much info on the internet, regarding this weird issue. But I tried also to put scim -d prior to tint2 & in autostart. No luck. OTOH, I have scim 1.4.14 running on another, older system in xfce4. This makes me thinks, the problem somehow related to DE. On both systems I setup keyboard with setxkbmap. On a newer one I use xxkb to display current keyboard layout.

I have this in my ~/.xsession-errors

Code:
(xfce4-terminal:3154): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x180c4c0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

(xfce4-terminal:3154): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x180c6c0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
add_icon: 54525969 (scim-panel-gtk), pid 3557, visual 0x11e4b50, colormap 54525968, depth 32, width 1, height 1
systray 883: cannot embed icon for window 54525969 (scim-panel-gtk) parent 6293409 pid 3557
remove_icon: 54525969 (scim-panel-gtk)

and nothing more in other logs (no segfaults in messages, nothing special in Xorg.0.log)

The information from scim is very scarse and it all feels somewhat frustrating. Any help and hints would be highly appreciated.

PS: I don't know whether this matters, but scim and its ilk was built with gtk3

Last edited by gauge-symmetrical on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: found this https://sourceforge.net/p/scim/support-requests/9/?limit=25 and unmasked version 1.4.16. Still no luck with the main issue. However, this seems to solve another problem with system menu not popping up on right-click on the desktop after some moment. Presumably, after clicking scim tray icon. Not 100% sure.
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

Well, still no input after a whole week. Maybe you can just share your experience with scim under openbox? Whether it works for you and the versions of software, because the roots of the problem might lie in another field at all and any data regarding scim on ob could be of help.
paluszak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I used SCIM with Openbox (I switched to fcitx and lxde), but have you exported the right environment variables like XMODIFIERS, QT_IM_MODULE and GTK_IM_MODULE?
gauge-symmetrical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd enough, I thought these variables are all set up. But I double checked them now and to my surprise I found that they're actually not set. I'm pretty sure they were set at least with scim 1.4.14 somewhere in ~/.xprofile or in ~/.config/openbox/environment. After fixing variables I finally got scim 1.4.17 working.
Pretty silly situation. But anyways, thank you very much for turning my attention to variables :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: