Kernel 4.x and Intel HD : screen goes black randomly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skylex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Kernel 4.x and Intel HD : screen goes black randomly Reply with quote

Hi, I updated my whole system recently (including that GCC 6.4.0 update followed by a big emerge -e world) and everything went fine in the end (well, after a few conflicts and such things resolved).

So I had a good feeling and tried to update the kernel too, but I can't seem to get any 4.x kernel to work well on the graphics part.
I tried 4.12.12 then 4.9.49 and now 4.14.3 but they all have the same issue : the screen goes black for about 2 seconds every "2 seconds to a few minutes" (it's really that random).
It happens during the boot phase (text console) and also while Kodi is running and while a video is playing too.
I don't know why this happens, I tried lots of google and gentoo forums search but found nothing similar.

With my old kernel 3.18.25 it works well, no issue at all. I configured the 4.x kernels with the same config file but updated with "make olddefconfig".
Maybe there's a new default option that causes me this trouble but I haven't found anything that could be related : nothing unusual in "graphics support".

My setup consists of a mini-ITX motherboard with an Intel i3 540 CPU (Clarkdale/Ironlake => driver i965) and a TV connected via HDMI to the Intel HD chipset.
No keyboard or mouse connected usually, I'm just using SSH and Lirc to control it.
No error in dmesg, syslog, Xorg.0.log nor kodi.log when the black screen occurs... I can't find anything related to this issue in those logs.
I already tried disabling dpms and other things of this post without any luck.

I'm using an initramfs to boot the kernel (mostly to have a good looking bootsplash, but it has never been working perfectly) which is generated via this kind of command:
Code:
splash_geninitramfs -v -r 1920x1080 -g /boot/initrd-4.14.3-gentoo-ipv6-64 natural_gentoo

and the kernel is loaded like this with grub2:
Code:
linux   /kernel-4.14.3-gentoo-ipv6-64 root=/dev/sda4 ro  net.ifnames=0 video=uvesafb:1920x1080-32,mtrr:3,ywrap splash=verbose,fadein,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quiet
initrd   /initrd-4.14.3-gentoo-ipv6-64

I tried to boot without an initramfs but it gets worse: no image at all.
I also tried the initramfs of my working 3.18.25 kernel and the issue remains but I also get a very strange looking posterized effect on the image, not good :lol:

Here are my kernel configs:
3.18.25 (no issue) : https://pastebin.com/0UptCLDM
4.14.3 (black screen issue) : https://pastebin.com/eCEY2Utf
And emerge --info output : https://pastebin.com/kbrneL4Z

If anyone have any ideas or things to try, I'm all ears :)
Thanks!
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My setup consists of a mini-ITX motherboard with an Intel i3 540 CPU (Clarkdale/Ironlake => driver i965)

Could you please show the lspci output for the device...

Also, I was just looking up something elsewhere that looks sort of similar, so can you make sure that your user is added to the video group? Just checking since X display and graphics is pretty much heavily in userspace in case you forgot about that. The Xorg conf sometimes is also a place to check and see why this might be happening.

Did your recent update of gcc also require you to rebuild Xorg either the server or drivers? I would start with those packages first to see if a configuration file that was there before may have been removed.

Also check your settings for drivers, using eselect opengl list or set you will know what opengl implementation you are using which could effect a lot of graphics performance.

EDIT: Also, looking at the wiki page, and are you using the Modesetting driver or not?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Modesetting_DDX
skylex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer! Here's a follow up:

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Could you please show the lspci output for the device...

Here you go:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 35
   Memory at fb800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
   Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
   I/O ports at cc00 [size=8]
   Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
   Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
   Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
   Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
   Kernel driver in use: i915
   Kernel modules: i915

Full lspci -v here: https://pastebin.com/tW8sNAx3
The motherboard's chipset is an Intel H55.

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Also, I was just looking up something elsewhere that looks sort of similar, so can you make sure that your user is added to the video group? Just checking since X display and graphics is pretty much heavily in userspace in case you forgot about that. The Xorg conf sometimes is also a place to check and see why this might be happening.

Yes the user who starts X is in the video group (disk uucp audio video usb users polkituser plugdev games pulse-access pulse salon).

Here are my xorg config files:
Code:
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
Section "Device"
   Identifier "Intel Graphics"
   Driver "intel"
   Option "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
   Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
   Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20opengl.conf
Section "Files"
EndSection

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-monitor.conf (it's a just a recent test, but it didn't help)
section "ServerFlags"
  Option "blank time" "0"
  Option "standby time" "0"
  Option "suspend time" "0"
  Option "off time" "0"
  Option "dpms" "false"
EndSection

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Did your recent update of gcc also require you to rebuild Xorg either the server or drivers? I would start with those packages first to see if a configuration file that was there before may have been removed.

I did rebuild everything after the GCC update (emerge -e @world).
There was just a minor update of xorg-server as I can see with genlop:
Code:
     Fri Jun  2 13:44:08 2017 >>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.3
     Fri Dec  1 16:54:36 2017 >>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.5

And no update of xorg-driver, just a rebuild:
Code:
     Fri Jun  2 13:29:56 2017 >>> x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.19
     Sat Dec  2 02:32:18 2017 >>> x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.19

So I don't think the configuration files changed and I surely didn't touch any.
There's nothing in etc-update related to graphics.

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Also check your settings for drivers, using eselect opengl list or set you will know what opengl implementation you are using which could effect a lot of graphics performance.

There's just this one:
Code:
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   xorg-x11 *

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
EDIT: Also, looking at the wiki page, and are you using the Modesetting driver or not?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Modesetting_DDX

I have xorg-server compiled with the use flag "glamor" (set globally) but not activated in xorg.conf (driver intel).
I will try that modesetting driver and keep you posted.

Code:
[I] x11-base/xorg-server
     Available versions:  1.19.5(0/1.19.5) [M]~1.19.5-r1(0/1.19.5) [M]**9999(0/9999) {debug dmx doc +glamor ipv6 kdrive libressl minimal selinux static-libs +suid systemd tslib +udev unwind wayland xcsecurity xephyr xnest xorg xvfb}
     Installed versions:  1.19.5(13:58:51 03/12/2017)(glamor ipv6 suid udev xorg -debug -dmx -doc -kdrive -libressl -minimal -selinux -static-libs -systemd -tslib -unwind -wayland -xcsecurity -xephyr -xnest -xvfb)
     Homepage:            https://www.x.org/wiki/
     Description:         X.Org X servers
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skylex, since I do not personally use the Modesetting driver someone else may have to explain. But one other thing I can suggest is to scan dmesg out around the time of boot (assuming that you aren't working in a special video card situation like sometimes people have multiple cards or whatever), and post anything from it that looks suspiciously related.

If you followed the intel guide from the wiki then you may already have been aware of some of the settings that could be needed in case there are some suspicious things in there relating to your driver in use.

Video drivers to me are always the trickiest to get right, but if you know you already have the drivers installed, did you check to make sure you have the correct linux-firmware too <in there> ?

EDIT:
Also something you may want to consider is the possibility of bad hardware. Do you have some way of testing the graphics not from the particular linux kernel you want to have it working on. Maybe through a live CD or something else.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else you may want to consider is the possibility of bad hardware. Do you have some way of testing the graphics not from the particular linux kernel you want to have it working on. Maybe through a live CD or something else like that.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried 4.12.12 then 4.9.49 and now 4.14.3 but they all have the same issue : the screen goes black for about 2 seconds every "2 seconds to a few minutes" (it's really that random).

Could you quantify that as a "flickering"?

Try setting i915.enable_rc6=0 on the kernel line.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder, I forgot to mention since on one of my machines (a 3rd gen Intel) I have to use this kernel command line argument, but on the 5th gen is it always needed just the same. Could you recap the need for VIDEO_CARDS to be set a certain way in make.conf and whether the advice for adding to the kernel boot line is in addition to or instead of implementing other solutions that matter as well? I'm trying to help myself at the same time as get the help for the OP, so only answer if it seems like it doesn't take it off topic.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your model.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel#Feature_support (see the last column on the right)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does i965 include support for i915, I assume because the OP has included the result of lspci to show kernel driver i915 in use, but still may need to post and show the setting for VIDEO_CARDS if it is set correctly for the hardware. Either way, it looks like the kernel already is aware of kernel driver i915...would that eliminate the need for change to the kernel command line args for the OP?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: