csounds blocks snd. why?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freakaria
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: csounds blocks snd. why? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed csound-6.09.1. I would like to also install snd (Audio Editor by Bill Schottstaedt) but csound is blocking that.

inside (official gentoo portage tree) csound ebuild:
Code:
utils? ( !media-sound/snd )

as far as I can tell snd should only install it's executable called 'snd'
having installed csound with the 'utils' useflag my system can seem to handle a binary with that name

Code:
$ which snd
which: no snd in (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/5.4.0:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin)

what is the reason for the blockage? is it save to remove this?

when I manually compile snd it runs just fine, but I would like to have it installed through portage.

Oppinios appreciated!
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: csounds blocks snd. why? Reply with quote

freakaria wrote:
as far as I can tell snd should only install it's executable called 'snd'
having installed csound with the 'utils' useflag my system can seem to handle a binary with that name

no, you can see files there http://www.portagefilelist.de/site/query/listPackageFiles/?category=media-sound&package=snd&version=12.8&do#result
and you can see that /usr/bin/sndinfo is a snd tool.

but for csound, files are there http://www.portagefilelist.de/site/query/listPackageFiles/?category=media-sound&package=csound&version=6.03.2&do#result
and click page 3, you can see /usr/bin/sndinfo is also provide by csound.

I don't have to check them anymore, but if both csound and snd use /usr/bin/sndinfo name for a tool, it's a clash between the two. Maybe some other tool also share names, but at least the block is set because of sndinfo.
freakaria
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for helping me understand! I will try to be more aware of installed file lists in the future.

I will think about which ebuild to change to be able to install both programs together. sndinfo is of no special interest to me, but both csound and snd are.

Also I will look into whether I can live without the 'utils' useflag. currently my main reason to put it there was to have an 'as-complete-as-possible' csound installation.

All the best
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need both of the programs that claim that name, then you can disable installing whichever one you don't want. If you are lucky, the ebuild which owns the unwanted one has a USE flag or similar to disable it. If not, you will need to make a modified ebuild that does. You may also need to modify the other ebuild to remove the block, if both ebuilds block the other.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: