emerge --depclean and slots
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: emerge --depclean and slots Reply with quote

I may have raised this before, but anyway, I have come across this problem again. Running emerge --depclean will clean all slots except the latest, or those which are dependencies of other packages which are installed and registered in the world file. While this may be perfectly logical in many cases, there are times when it isn't, such as:
  • Libraries which are used for programming such as Qt
  • Cross compilers etc used for development
  • The gcc compiler

I understand I can add each package I want to keep to the world file, but I think there would be merit in having a file (or directory) with exclusions. For example, there could be a directory /etc/portage/package/depclean/ and in there we could add files which depclean should leave alone. eg:
Code:

sys-devel/gcc
cross-arm-none-gnueabi-gcc/*

Or have I missed a simple way to achieve this? The reason it has come up at this time: I have managed to depclean gcc-5.4.0 and the system has switched to 6.4 without me realising (not sure how - I normally run with -av and check very carefully before letting it happen! heyho :) ). As it happens everything is currently working OK (despite a big update yesterday!), and I am about to make the profile change and do the full rebuild.
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can create a @set and exclude it from depclean.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: