Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to proceed after disrupted emerge @world?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: How to proceed after disrupted emerge @world? Reply with quote

Tried to run emerge --update --deep --ask --with-bdeps=y @world today and, wouldn't you know it, a power failure struck about one third of the way through the process, causing the machine to power off unceremoniously (yes, no UPS in use here). I'm trying now to figure out how to proceed.

Despite the unclean shutdown, the computer powers up fine and is usuable. But I undoubtedly need to take some sort of remedial action. A bit of on-line searching and reading of the portage man page leads me to believe that I should be running a command like
Code:
emerge --resume
in order to recover properly from the incident.

Input from any gentoo cognoscenti on whether this is the advised course of action? Any other steps I should consider taking? Thanks
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to proceed after disrupted emerge @world? Reply with quote

jamtat wrote:
Input from any gentoo cognoscenti on whether this is the advised course of action? Any other steps I should consider taking? Thanks

Work emerge --resume after reboot (really I don't know)?
Anyway you can read here other possibilities.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If emerge --resume doesn't work, you can run the original emerge command again. Anything previously emerged before the power cut will no longer need to be emerged. Of course if you are emerging everything in the world set (emerge -e @world), then this is not a good solution but for normal updates such as yours, it should be fine.
jamtat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to proceed after disrupted emerge @world? Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
jamtat wrote:

Work emerge --resume after reboot (really I don't know)?

Thanks for the input in this thread. I've just now run emerge --resume and it does seem, despite the power outage and unceremonious shutdown, to work. I do recall, when I previously ran emerge --update --deep --ask --with-bdeps=y @world, seeing that 80-some packages were to be emerged. Now, after the power outage and having run emerge --resume, I see that 60-some odd packages are being emerged. That indicates to me that the previous command is, in fact, being resumed.

One of my concerns was whether, the power outage having come in the middle of compilation of some package or other, portage would have some cognizance that some package did not finish compiling and would be able to recover and execute its routines in relation to that package. I will assume, since I did not take note of which package was in the process of compiling immediately prior to the power outage, that portage has some cognizance of which one was affected and has restarted the compilation and will take care of associated clean-up afterward. More to come, if I will experience any further issues (if I make no further entries in this thread, the likely import is that a full recovery was made by running emerge --resume)
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested in another post, "emerge --update" notices which packages are not up to date. If an emerge series is interrupted, a following "emerge --update" can tell which packages were updated, and which weren't.

In this case, I think it (emerge --update) gives the same result as "emerge --resume"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: