Cleaning up RadeonSI installation [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Cleaning up RadeonSI installation [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have a rather old Kaveri installation, which has been working quite nicely from day-1. Things have caught up with me, and I think it's time that I have to change some things.

1 - I'm using "radeon-ucode", which is masked, and I know I should be using "linux-firmware" instead. Is it really as simple as "emerge -C radeon-ucode && emerge linux-firmware"? In other words, does the latter drop the relevant firmware files in the same place as the former?

2 - I believe I'm bundling the firmware into the kernel, even though I'm building "radeon" as a module. I suspect that's because I misinterpreted the instructions way-back-when, but it's been working. Still, I'd rather not, if I don't have to. As I look at my kernel config, I see:
Code:
$ grep FIRMWARE new.config
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
# CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL is not set
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/KAVERI_ce.bin radeon/KAVERI_me.bin radeon/KAVERI_mec.bin radeon/KAVERI_pfp.bin radeon/KAVERI_rlc.bin radeon/KAVERI_sdma.bin radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin radeon/BONAIRE_vce.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib64/firmware"
# CONFIG_CYPRESS_FIRMWARE is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE is not set
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_MEMMAP=y

So it looks as if I'm not building my firmware into the kernel. If that's the case, do I really need "CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE", or can I just blank that. I believe it's this setting that's making me fear question #1 above.

3 - I haven't been able to build a 4.14 kernel with genkernel, because it fails on the "make_firmware" step. I looked at the "~amd64" genkernel, but it wants me to be on linux-firmware instead of radeon-ucode. It's possible that steps #1 and #2 will at least let me use the newer genkernel, and perhaps with that I can move to 4.14+.

4 - In a bit more distance, I want to be moving from radeon to amdgpu, amdkfd, and all of the shiny new stuff. I just need to get these preliminaries done first.

Last edited by depontius on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius,

linux-firmware and radeon-ucode both install into /lib/firmware, so its just emerge -C radeon-ucode && emerge linux-firmware as you say.
You get a lot of extra firmware with linux-firmware. If that bothers you, you ran configure it out for subsequent installs.

CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE= and CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR= are only required if the corresponding module is built into the kernel.
The firmware must be available when the module is initialised.
Built in gets you an earlier framebuffer console but that's the only advantage.
Its not an error to include firmware in the kernel that you don't actually need. Its just bloat.

If the kernel module is built in, you should really rebuild your kernel after emerge -C radeon-ucode && emerge linux-firmware just to make sure it all sill works.
Otherwise you will find out at the next kernel update that it doesn't and you will have forgotten about the switch. :)

I think that the make firmware target has been removed in the kernel Makefile, so genkernel will need a fix if it calls that.

I'm on amdgpu with the new shiny stack in 4.15.0-rc1 but I have a Polaris 11 based graphics card.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with "emerge -C radeon-ucode && emerge linux-firmware". Worked like a champ. At the same time, I'd been having trouble with the stable genernel building 4.14+ kernels. I moved to a newer genkernel - which also required linux-firmware, by the way - and got 4.14.3 built and running. There are any number of "deferred maintenance" items I've been postponing, and I'm trying to get those all cleared out - then I'll update to the 17.0 profile.

I spoke too soon. "emerge @preserved-rebuild" just failed. I was also trying to move to firefox-57, which required a new llvm, clang, and mesa. That went OK, but there was a "preserved rebuild" left after, and when I try to run that the mesa compile fails. From my search, this looks like an llvm-5.0.0 problem - I'm surprised that this showed up in places other than Gentoo. Seems to me that firefox-57 and mesa-17.1 can't be on the same system, or perhaps it's USE dependent. Anyway, tonight I'll try the new firefox, and if I really like it there is one newer level of llvm, and maybe that will fix it. Otherwise I'll take that stuff all back to stable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: