Compiz and startx
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Compiz and startx Reply with quote

Hello, today i have reinstalled totally a new gentoo installation, and i test new method for me, i would like now to use startx with windows manager without desktop environment.

I have installed compiz. I have successfull launching firefox with startx, but i can't display windows decorations while it's activated ! Why it doesn't work ?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulgurance, window managers can be a tricky thing, can you please clarify just one thing, is the window manager working outside of this situation with firefox windows? Meaning are all the other applications working with the decorated windows, except firefox? What else you need to see if which version of firefox you have, and which version of compiz, as well. Depending on the build you used for firefox, I think there are two in the main gentoo repo you could try the other one if you want to see if it somehow works differently, or else downgrading the firefox package (so long as everything else is working with compiz). If none of this works then it could be and is most probably just a bug with Firefox and that particular wm. One thing is for sure you should not have to change your browser here, but may just opt for a second, or third or fourth wm for your system. Personally I think I have about 4 of them installed, on each of my 2 systems. And since they each have different software, I actually use more like 5 or 6 unique (different) window managers between the various purposes I have with them. The good is that you should be able to continue to use startx, regardless of which window manager you choose to go with. You can even use it if you have a full blown session manager running by just sending startx the name of the session as an argument.

It is a well documented way of running your GUI programs using X so just go check it out by entering search into google for "starting gnome [or whatever] from command line with startx".

Take a look at the various ones offered in the portage tree, and then also do a quick search in the forum for other window managers. You will get lots of ideas without a doubt, and I think it is not unusual as I mentioned to have more than just one window manager in linux system installed (for example, I use TWM and dwm now on my desktop, and my laptop has 4 or 5 options, including some integrated with desktop environments). install as many as you like, just check to make sure that emerge -pv [package] doesn't pull in like 500 new packages you don't need or want on your system before doing it!

As for downgrading the firefox package is probably your first opportunity to see if this is the result of a bug (which may have previously not been present) and then could be reported with the developers, in terms of the current problem. The downgrade itself is made easy enough in gentoo, you can decide whether to specify it in the command as an argument to install, emerge -av =www-client/firefox-versionxx , or else mask the currently installed one (in /etc/portage/package.mask) then do update, emerge --update firefox and it will do it for you.

Have good luck :)
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I had not given a lot of information, but with my boot compiz bugued, I could not do much ...

The problem appear with all applications, and decoration is enabled.

Code:
www-client/firefox-57.0::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="gmp-autoupdate pulseaudio screenshot -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -dbus -debug -eme-free -hardened -hwaccel -jack (-neon) -nsplugin -pgo (-selinux) -startup-notification -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite -test -wifi" ABI_X86="(64)" L10N="fr -ach -af -an -ar -as -ast -az -bg -bn-BD -bn-IN -br -bs -ca -cak -cs -cy -da -de -dsb -el -en-GB -en-ZA -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -ff -fi -fy -ga -gd -gl -gn -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -id -is -it -ja -ka -kab -kk -km -kn -ko -lij -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -ta -te -th -tr -uk -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW"

x11-wm/compiz-0.8.8-r3::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="cairo svg -dbus -fuse -gconf -gnome -gtk" ABI_X86="(64)"

Actually I've been answering since twm window manager...

My .xinitrc:

Code:
fulgurance@MSI-GS73VR-6RF ~ $ cat .xinitrc
#!/bin/sh

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

xrdb -merge $sysresources

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

xrdb -merge "$userresources"

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
    xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

if [ -n "`/etc/X11/chooser.sh`" ]; then
 command="`/etc/X11/chooser.sh`"
else
 failsafe="yes"
fi

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
 for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?* ; do
  [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
 done
 unset f
fi

if [ -n "$failsafe" ]; then
 #compiz ccp &
 twm &
 setxkbmap fr &
 #xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &
 firefox &
 sakura
 #ccsm
else
 exec $command
fi

My emerge info:

Code:
fulgurance@MSI-GS73VR-6RF ~ $ emerge --info
Portage 2.3.16 (python 3.5.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0, gcc-7.2.0, glibc-2.26-r3, 4.14.3-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.14.3-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-6700HQ_CPU_@_2.60GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:    16316084 total,  14778120 free
KiB Swap:          0 total,         0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 13:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: b67c325ecc94f396e968e326e6acdf092aa3adf5
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.26.1-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r1::gentoo, 3.5.4-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.10.0::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.12::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            7.2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.9.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.26-r3::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=skylake -O2 -pipe -mmovbe -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -mpopcnt -mavx -mavx2 -maes -mpclmul -mfsgsbase -mrdrnd -mfma -mbmi -mbmi2 -mf16c -mrdseed -madx -mprefetchwt1 -mclflushopt -mxsavec -mxsaves"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=skylake -O2 -pipe -mmovbe -mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -mpopcnt -mavx -mavx2 -maes -mpclmul -mfsgsbase -mrdrnd -mfma -mbmi -mbmi2 -mf16c -mrdseed -madx -mprefetchwt1 -mclflushopt -mxsavec -mxsaves"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ http://gentoo.modulix.net/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirrors.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://gentoo.mirrors.ovh.net/gentoo-distfiles/ ftp://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/ http://mirrors.soeasyto.com/distfiles.gentoo.org/"
LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j9"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X acl alsa amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm glamor iconv ipv6 modules multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre pulseaudio readline seccomp session ssl tcpd unicode xattr zlib" ABI_X86="32 64" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx sse xop avx2 fma3 fma4 sse2 sse3 ssse3 mmxext popcnt sse4_1 sse4_2 pclmul padlock" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" L10N="fr fr-FR" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="fr fr_FR" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965 nvidia" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

EDIT: I have found origin of problem, it's with nvidia proprietary driver... when i swith nvidia opengl for x11-drivers opengl, windows appear correctly... I think it's good to swith to nouveau driver ...
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fulgurance,
Glad to see this is fixed. Maybe you can mark the issue as solved, but good to know that the workings of some window manager features are closely related. Whatever made you think to change over the driver was very wise.

As for use of the nvidia proprietary drivers they do seem to do the job (and well). I don't know whether or not there are any people out there who swear by the nouveau, which is of course built into linux kernel. What I will say is that generally if a proprietary driver exists for something like a video or audio or network card, then that one better work. This is why I tend to use them when I can over the alternative (even if the driver isn't open source), for all things a/v or networking/printing related especially.

Since graphics sort of falls under the same category (for me) that is why I haven't given the nouveau drivers much of a chance. But maybe I will experiment with it sometime soon. Glad to see that you are up and running with firefox!

:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: