papandreoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how to avoid
Code:
emerge -e @world
for all the packaes, all over again?
i started the process and it almost done to reinstall 200 packages.
than i aborted.
now when i want to continue the emerge process, it want to emerge all the packages again.
even those already emerged successfully.
is there a flag that will tell portage to exclude all the already-reinstalled packages?
jagdpanther
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question about efficiency:

Looking at the news item

Quote:
Then,
* Select the new profile with eselect
* Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
* Rebuild your entire system
emerge -e @world

Why shouldn't that last emerge (the BIG one) be:
Code:
emerge -e --exclude sys-devel/gcc --exclude sys-devel/binutils --exclude sys-libs/glibc @world

gcc, binutils and glibc are already re-compiled, right? (I guess that if you have more than one gcc installed you might want to recompile it...)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papandreoos wrote:
is there a flag that will tell portage to exclude all the already-reinstalled packages?

No, but you can try something along the lines of
Code:
emerge -1 $(eix-installed-after -btF /usr/bin/gcc)
papandreoos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
i tried:
Code:
sudo  emerge  -ea --skipfirst --exclude gcc glibc binutils @world

i think its working (hope so).
it ignore a lot of packages and tell me it resume merge.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
the /17.0/ profiles force the Position Independent Executable use flag from (-pie) to (pie).
This affects gcc and the way it builds everything. pie is now the default everywhere.

Is gcc in stage3 compiled with pie ?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
My last 260 packages or so went OK.
I will probably do another emerge -e @world to test things. Still, most of my system has to be OK for blueberry PIE

Mine is still building from 11:00AM yesterday. This is at least half the speed it had without gcc pie. I'm not going to try this on my k6. There has to be another way short of buying a skylake or ryzen 7 so I can compile.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
I will probably do another emerge -e @world to test things. Still, most of my system has to be OK for blueberry PIE

Mine is still building from 11:00AM yesterday. This is at least half the speed it had without gcc pie. I'm not going to try this on my k6. There has to be another way short of buying a skylake or ryzen 7 so I can compile.

It is an initial pain, I give you that. But I am in it for the long run. Hoping for the better than shit I have seen.
No dutch person has been harmed while compiling this sentence...
EDIT: I do cool down my CPU with a 1/8 the true speed...So I kind of is an enviromentalistic and altruistic person? I mean, I can save some cycles of cpu...?
I do think there is a point where the CPU might hit it, so I try to save it...
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:

Are you saying that compilations will now be taking twice longer than before, when gcc had -pie ? This is a big deal ...
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does take more time to compile. I clocked my llvm to about an hour (or more...). I thought there was something wrong actually.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that compilations will now be taking twice longer than before, when gcc had -pie ? This is a big deal ...
Cannot reproduce here. Everything looks normal to me
Code:
genlop -t
Fri Nov 17 20:28:20 2017 >>> media-video/vlc-2.2.6-r2
       merge time: 3 minutes and 21 seconds.

Sat Dec  2 17:06:42 2017 >>> media-video/vlc-2.2.6-r2
       merge time: 3 minutes and 33 seconds.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
joe4379
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: pie not shown as set by equery Reply with quote

thanks!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished at 8:05PM today. 21 hours total vs 11 hours before.

Three failures - grub, firefox, and hplip. Grub error is "gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-nopie’; did you mean ‘-no-pie’?"

EDIT: corrected error message.

EDIT2: It's this exact bug, but I don't know what "corrected keywording fixed it" https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/f9593ae29f9f1e50b840648fee7893f2

EDIT3: OK, it means to accept ~amd64 for 0.97-r17 which fixes the bug. I did that and re-emerged. Grub said to re-install to fix mismatched verions but:
Code:
grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  22 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+22 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/menu.lst"... failed

Error 6: Mismatched or corrupt version of stage1/stage2

grub> exit
Do I have an unbootable machine?
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 1st in some VM and also run into the grub (0.97-r16) failure, but left it as it is and resumed emerge. Reboot still works (as I guess it should, if left untouched). Then there were some failures around CERN stuff (cernlib, root, paw) and a seemingly unrelated issue with libreoffice-bin vs. python-3.4/5 (recirculating revdep-rebuild) . Overall things went ok. My old boxes will come next, eventually.

Thanks for all your insights, Ralph
elko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: no pie on gcc at x86? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a question regarding switching to profile 17 on x86. Steps already taken:

Code:

* Use gcc-config to select gcc-6.4.0 or later as system compiler
* Re-source /etc/profile:
    . /etc/profile
* Re-emerge libtool
    emerge -1 sys-devel/libtool
Then,
* Select the new profile with eselect

I changed the profile to default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop:

Code:

# eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/x86/13.0
  [2]   default/linux/x86/13.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [6]   default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/plasma
  [7]   default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
  [8]   default/linux/x86/13.0/developer
  [9]   default/linux/x86/13.0/systemd
  [10]  default/linux/x86/17.0
  [11]  default/linux/x86/17.0/selinux
  [12]  default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop *
  [13]  default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop/gnome
  [14]  default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [15]  default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop/plasma
  [16]  default/linux/x86/17.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
  [17]  default/linux/x86/17.0/developer
  [18]  default/linux/x86/17.0/systemd
  [19]  hardened/linux/x86
  [20]  hardened/linux/x86/selinux
  [21]  hardened/linux/musl/x86
  [22]  default/linux/uclibc/x86
  [23]  hardened/linux/uclibc/x86

Now, I want to emerge gcc but:

Code:

# equery uses sys-devel/gcc
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0:
 U I
 - - cilk            : Support the Cilk Plus language (C/C++ based languages for parallel programming)
 + + cxx             : Build support for C++ (bindings, extra libraries, code generation, ...)
 - - debug           : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Backtraces
 - - doc             : Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally
 + + fortran         : Add support for fortran
 - - go              : Build the GCC Go language frontend.
 - - graphite        : Add support for the framework for loop optimizations based on a polyhedral intermediate representation
 - - mpx             : Enable support for Intel Memory Protection Extensions (MPX)
 + + nls             : Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)
 + + nptl            : Enable support for Native POSIX Threads Library, the new threading module (requires linux-2.6 or better usually)
 - - objc            : Build support for the Objective C code language
 - - objc++          : Build support for the Objective C++ language
 - - objc-gc         : Build support for the Objective C code language Garbage Collector
 + + openmp          : Build support for the OpenMP (support parallel computing), requires >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2 built with USE="openmp"
 + + pch             : Enable precompiled header support for faster compilation at the expense of disk space and memory (>=sys-devel/gcc-3.4 only)
 - - pgo             : Build GCC using Profile Guided Optimization (PGO)
 - - pie             : Build programs as Position Independent Executables (a security hardening technique)
 - - regression-test : Run the testsuite and install the results (requires FEATURES=test)
 + + sanitize        : Build support for various sanitizer functions (ASAN/TSAN/etc...)
 + + ssp             : Build packages with stack smashing protector on by default
 - - vanilla         : Do not add extra patches which change default behaviour; DO NOT USE THIS ON A GLOBAL SCALE as the severity of the meaning changes drastically
 + + vtv             : Build support for virtual table verification (a C++ hardening feature)

So there is no change in the USE flags caused by the new profile. Shouldn't the pie flag be enabled by default?

Consequently, AFAIK I can skip the rest of the news entry, namely:

Code:

* Re-emerge, in this sequence, gcc, binutils, and glibc
    emerge -1 sys-devel/gcc:6.4.0
    emerge -1 sys-devel/binutils
    emerge -1 sys-libs/glibc
* Rebuild your entire system
    emerge -e @world

Do I miss something that requires reemerging gcc with the same USE flags at this point of the upgrade procedure?
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove qt5 USE from audacious and then uninstall cdrdao and djview. They refuse to compile. Probably I have to install ~amd64 versions for those.

BTW, if emerge aborts due to some error, then one can try "emerge --skipfirst --resume", which would skip package that has failed and then continue with building.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: no pie on gcc at x86? Reply with quote

elko wrote:
Do I miss something that requires reemerging gcc with the same USE flags at this point of the upgrade procedure?

Equery doesn't show the pie flag, but now that you have switched profiles you will see it with "emerge -pv gcc --nodeps" The nodeps is just to save time since it's pretend anyway. If you select a 13.0 profile you will see (-pie) in the output. If you selexct a 17.0 profile you will see (pie) in the output.
Sembiance
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klynastor wrote:
I'm really upset that Gentoo forced PIE on everybody this way. The whole reason I run Gentoo on all of my PCs, compared to any other OS, is for optimal system performance. For my use case, security comes second. I think people should still be given a choice in the matter.

So... (not to incur the wrath of the Gentoo gods...) here's what I did to disable PIE on 17.0:

Create a new file called /etc/portage/profile/package.use.force and append the line "sys-devel/gcc -pie" to it. This releases "pie" from being forced on in the GCC package.

Then edit /etc/make.conf (or /etc/portage/make.conf, whichever exists) and add "-pie" to the end of the USE= line.

That should take care of it. (Until GCC mysteriously breaks years in the future because we don't have the option to compile without PIE anymore. . .)

Thank you VERY much for this info!

I came to this thread looking for this exact thing, how to disable PIE. Based on what I've read on the internet, PIE is something I neither need nor want, for my particular systems.

One note, you may be being a bit too harsh on the Gentoo devs. Yes they made this the new default, yes they are kinda shoving it down our throats in the name of "Security", but you were able to "opt out" of it very easily with two simple file changes, so once again, Gentoo flexibility to the rescue :)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

grub> setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 22 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+22 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/menu.lst"... failed

Error 6: Mismatched or corrupt version of stage1/stage2

grub> exit
[/code] Do I have an unbootable machine?
The problem is documented as https://bugs.gentoo.org/639606 Apparently it was ignored and r17 was stabilized anyhow.
I copied the stage files from my similar Phenom II machine and then grub installed without error. At a minimum I would suggest "quickpkg grub" for both grub legacy and grub2 before switching the profile. Better yet, save the contents of the directory where they are stored see "locate stage1 |grep lib".

The other two failures were firefox, and hplip. After the complete emerge completed and I rebooted, hplip successfully emerged, however firefox again failed. Firefox is just a backup for Palemoon-bin which emerged successfully (there is no compilation) and seems to run OK. Other people use Firefox (compiled) as their primary or sole browser so it is not OK for them.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox builds fine. Do you happen to have (broken) USE=pgo unmasked and enabled?
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mostly stable system. I'm running firefox-56.0 which is no longer in portage. There are problems with emerging firefox-57 so I added it to packages.provided. I think the missing firefox-56 ebuild means I need resolve the issues with the firefox-57 upgrade before updating my profile or I will lose firefox.

Perhaps I'm doing things wrong but ISTM it would have been great if either firefox-56 was left in portage or if firefox-57 built without user added patches before this big profile update was released.

Reference: Circular blocks headaches regarding llvm
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Firefox builds fine. Do you happen to have (broken) USE=pgo unmasked and enabled?

No.
Code:
 emerge -pv firefox --nodeps

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-45.8.0::local [45.8.0::gentoo] USE="ffmpeg gmp-autoupdate gstreamer jemalloc3 jit startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -dbus -debug -hardened -hwaccel (-neon) (-pgo) -pulseaudio (-selinux) (-system-cairo) -system-harfbuzz -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libevent -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi" L10N="-ach -af -an -ar -as -ast -az -be -bg -bn-BD -bn-IN -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en-GB -en-ZA -eo -es-AR -es-CL -es-ES -es-MX -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -fy -ga -gd -gl -gu -he -hi -hr -hsb -hu -hy -id -is -it -ja -kk -km -kn -ko -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -ms -nb -nl -nn -or -pa -pl -pt-BR -pt-PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -ta -te -th -tr -uk -uz -vi -xh -zh-CN -zh-TW" 0 KiB
Any suggestions? othan the obvious "emerge the latest firefox". I'm trtying to find an error in the build log now.

EDIT: Here is the error, seems unrelated to pie.
Code:
cp: cannot stat '/var/tmp/notmpfs/portage/www-client/firefox-45.8.0/files/gentoo-default-prefs.js-1': No such file or directory
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firefox-45... come back when you talk about a version in tree...
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread I am frustrated.
As I have free 57G partition available on my sdd sda disc I think, that now is the right time to make a new Gentoo installation with GCC-6.4.
I will have the new, clean system and possibility and plenty of time to configure the new system using config files of the old one.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
firefox-45... come back when you talk about a version in tree...

Don't want to derail the thread so suffice it to say that in the process of using scp to retrieve the deleted ebuild directory, the files directory was not copied which resulted in the install error.
I fixed that and made a few changes suggested by repoman and now it compiles and installs fine.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question remains "How slow is compiling with pie?". It seems very slow but I did not have a benchmark to compare to other than the total emerge -e world time. Since the last time I did a world emerge was at least two portage versions and one minor gcc version back, that's not a data point, just a concern.

In another thread I had compared some phoronix benchmarks against this system versus published ryzen 7 results. I could rerun them and see if they had changed.

Another approach is to compare compile times for one or more packages using measured times between this system on profile 17.0 and my profile 13.0 Phenom II system by turning off three cores and limiting the CPU multiplier. That still wouldn't account for the other system having twice the RAM unless I benchmarked builds that don't use swap on either system.

I'll do some research and report my findings in a new thread on Gentoo Chat. Edit: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8158478.html#8158478

Last edited by Tony0945 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: