[SOLVED] Unable to rebuild llvm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Unable to rebuild llvm Reply with quote

Hello,

I am unable to rebuild llvm with gcc 6.4. I have found this advice to fix it but this was for the switch to gcc 5.4. Also on my notebook llvm recompiled with gcc 6.4 fine so I believe there might be another issue. I tried to recompile several times. Could you please support me identifying it?

Code:

[2973/3151] /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -m32 -DCLANG_ENABLE_ARCMT -DCLANG_ENABLE_OBJC_REWRITER -DCLANG_ENAB$
[2974/3151] /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -m32 -DCLANG_ENABLE_ARCMT -DCLANG_ENABLE_OBJC_REWRITER -DCLANG_ENAB$
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 ERROR: sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
  ninja -v -j9 -l0 failed

Call stack:
 ebuild.sh, line  124:  Called src_compile
 environment, line 5067:  Called multilib-minimal_src_compile
 environment, line 3206:  Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile'
 environment, line 3437:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'mu$
 environment, line 3072:  Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-mini$
 environment, line 3070:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compil$
 environment, line  634:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile
 environment, line 3200:  Called multilib_src_compile
 environment, line 3649:  Called cmake-utils_src_compile
 environment, line 1235:  Called cmake-utils_src_make
 environment, line 1410:  Called _cmake_ninja_src_make
 environment, line  400:  Called eninja
 environment, line 1755:  Called die
 The specific snippet of code:
    "$@" || die "${nonfatal_args[@]}" "${*} failed"

If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo'`,
 the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo'`.
 The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
 The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1/temp/enviro$
 Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1/work/llvm-3.9.1.src-abi_x86_32.x86'
 S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1/work/llvm-3.9.1.src'

Regards
Spargeltarzan

Last edited by Spargeltarzan on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unable to rebuild llvm Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Code:
 ^[[31;01m*^[[0m If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo'`,
 ^[[31;01m*^[[0m the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo'`.
 ^[[31;01m*^[[0m The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1/temp/build.log'.
These instructions are displayed automatically because, in most cases, we need that information to help you. So far, your case is like most cases. You showed only the summary announcing that a failure happened, but not describing the failure.

As a tangential point, you should investigate the tool(s) you used to copy this output. It copied out the color codes raw, which is useless and makes the output harder to read. It also truncated long lines instead of wrapping them.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I have attached emerge --info and emerge --pvq to wgetpaste:
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/j7uMZXtGClDT7uLl6Sbb/

Hope you can see the issue :)
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also post build.log!
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is also my build.log

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/K8TDTWqqJmlZQWBO9JWu/

Thought the only last lines of it attached to my initial post are relevant.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/include/g++-v6/ext/new_allocator.h:120:60: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault

Usaually this error is caused by broken hardware, check your RAM and HD.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently re-emerged ~1300 packages and only llvm failed. Can't imagine that only llvm suffers from a hardware issue.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
I recently re-emerged ~1300 packages and only llvm failed. Can't imagine that only llvm suffers from a hardware issue.

Try to recompile and if it break with segmentation fault see also dmesg.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got some udev errors in my dmesg - I don't know if it could be connected to this issue.

Code:

udevd[2100]: RUN{builtin}: 'uaccess' unknown /lib64/udev/rules.d/73-seat-late.rules:15
udevd[2101]: RUN{builtin}: 'uaccess' unknown /lib64/udev/rules.d/73-seat-late.rules:15

Please see attached my whole dmesg here

Thanks for any advice![/url]
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted dmeg immediately after llvm compilation fails with segfault?
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my dmesg directly after the emerge error. My CPU gets warm, ~100 ° when I compile stuff and dmesg warns about threshold. I don't see any other issues

Should I try to --unmerge llvm and emerge again? But I am afraid I will be without llvm when it fails. (I still have it installed from compiling with gcc 5.4)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 °C or 100 °F? 100 °F is nearly idle. 100 °C is much higher than recommended for most chips, and may be in the danger zone for some chips. Incorrect execution has been reported on some CPUs at or slightly below that temperature.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Hu, as most computer parts are not designed for 100 C on temps. Though I have been hearing that the new new Nvidia video cards are often running at 100 C or higher (even to the point the cooling doesn't even kick in until it gets fairly high on temp). From what I recall hearing, AMD chips tend to run hotter, and my experience from my AMD cpu is that it would get up to 70 C when compiling (though I prefer to keep it below 60 C when possible, so I force my cooling to run at full speed at all times). For my Intel machine, I am on average only sitting around 40-50 C (110-120 F).

Either way, if your CPU is getting anywhere near 100 C, I'd recommend you take some emergency measures to drop your temps back down (I typically immediately shut down the system for a while to let the temps to cool down). I have even had it happen that the cpu heat sink melted onto the cpu (happened on a old AMD cpu, pre 400 Mhz era, I think that cpu was only a 233 or a 300 Mhz cpu).
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 100 ° C. I have got an Intel Core i7-4770K (not overclocked) with a be quiet! Dark Rock 2 CPU cooler. Also 3 be quite cooling fans are in the case. (Silent Wings) In idle my system normally has 42 °C, but I remember when I used Windows it was much lower (30 ° C), in Windows I also never reached more than 60-70 ° C - well, I also was not compiling. (but maybe it is an indication, something is wrong configured?) Also I believe in Linux the fans are much more active, my PC is louder - paradox.

What could I check?

Code:

# lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller
   Kernel driver in use: hsw_uncore
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
   Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
   Kernel driver in use: i915
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI
   Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
   Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller
   Kernel driver in use: mei_me
   Kernel modules: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Ethernet Connection I217-V
   Kernel driver in use: e1000e
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev d5)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev d5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z87 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Z87 Express LPC Controller
   Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
   Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode]
   Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
   Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]
   Subsystem: Tul Corporation / PowerColor Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X]
   Kernel driver in use: radeon
   Kernel modules: radeon
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970]
   Subsystem: Tul Corporation / PowerColor Tahiti HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7870 XT / 7950/7970]
02:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9235 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller (rev 11)
   Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9235 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller
04:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter
   Kernel driver in use: ath9k
   Kernel modules: ath9k
05:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller

I remember somehow a thermal module what I cannot find now? (maybe it was also on a different machine...)
Can I change settings in a way to reduce clock rate when getting too warm?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to compile with a lower MAKEOPTS
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uncommented the line MAKEOPTS in make.conf, and just did emerge -av -1 llvm, but it still fails around package number ~2936, ninja -v -j8 -10 failed. Segmentation fault.

Don't know why now ninja -j8 is in place although no MAKEOPTS are used?

Any idea how I stop grilling my CPU?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Don't know why now ninja -j8 is in place although no MAKEOPTS are used?

If NINJAOPTS is not set ninja-utils.eclass convert automatically MAKEOPTS.
Try with
Code:
# NINJAOPTS="-j2" emerge -1av llvm

Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another try to emerge:

build.log

emerge --info

Code:

emerge -pqv =sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1  USE="clang libffi ncurses sanitize static-analyzer xml -debug -default-compiler-rt -default-libcxx -doc -gold -libedit (-lldb) -multitarget -ocaml -python {-test}" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" LLVM_TARGETS="AMDGPU BPF NVPTX (X86) -AArch64 -ARM -Hexagon -MSP430 -Mips -PowerPC -Sparc -SystemZ -XCore" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

cc1plus: internal compiler error: Bus error

This time the temperature was max. 83 ° C. No dmesg warning or error
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find not much, but what I find is an indication about a hardware issue when bus error appears. But all other 1250 packaged compiled.

I checked my temperature and fan speed in Windows Prime95, it not exceeds 88 C. Fan RPM is 1400, maximum for mine. Also chassis coolers are working (1 ingoing, 3 outgoing.) what I realise is that the heat sink is almost cold while the CPU is burning with 99 C. Cooler sits normally on it, probably the heat paste is the problem?

But I don't think my temperature is the root cause for failing because with lower NINJAOPTS no dmesg with 88 C
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I don't think my temperature is the root cause for failing because with lower NINJAOPTS no dmesg with 88 C

I believe you are getting this mixed around, MAKEOPTS and in turn NINJAOPTS, controls the number of jobs to use. The increase in jobs, causes more work for the CPU (which generates the heat). One thing to keep in mind, is that you shouldn't focus too heavily on the temps the programs report. The reasoning, is that those values are not always the actual temperatures. For instance, my A10 AMD APU processor's sensors report a differential temperature, not the actual cpu temperature. Other times, the values they report can very well be an averaged value. Several times, the values are for the sensor locations, which may not necessarily be all the cores or reporting one spot is hotter than others.

Quote:
what I realise is that the heat sink is almost cold while the CPU is burning with 99 C. Cooler sits normally on it, probably the heat paste is the problem?

The thermal paste can effect the thermal transfer quite a bit on if there is too much, too little, or it is too old (and dried up). This is the one area that, could help out on your overheating if done properly. I sure some of the others can give you some advise on how to properly apply the correct amount of heat paste.
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I compile LLVM with higher MAKEOPTS/NINJAOPTS, the temperature climbs up to 99 °C in the first half a minute and stays until the bus error occurs around 45 mins later. So if the sensor is averaged, it still means this actual temperature is 99 °C.

I understand with lower opts is clear that the temperature is higher, but is it common that high? (if right measured) (which values do you get?) Currently I see 2 reasons outstanding: bad heat paste, what I will check in the next days or a different meaning of measurement how you stated it. Would be curious to see the formula for this differential equations or ratios between different sensors. I believe I will find something in the user manual of the Core i7-4770K - I somehow can't imagine this common cpu reports values which nobody actually can interpret.

But I have good news:

llvm compiled now! (in my daily try to build it). - I believe Gentoo changed something.
This time I didn't change NINJAOPTS, in the log it states it compiled with NINA -j8. This mapping from MAKEOPTS doesn't work for me, I didn't give any MAKEOPTS, so it should be standard -j1.

Should I check something why ninja-utils.eclass doesn't map my makeopts?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if the sensor is averaged, it still means this actual temperature is 99 °C.

You are forgetting how averaged works... A CPU temp is not always just 1 sensor, it is quite often multiple sensors in various spots (just like there may be multiple cores on the CPU). To save the companies money and stuff, they don't always give you an output for each sensor. Take for example my A10 AMD cpu, it is a 10-12 core cpu (4 processing, 8 graphics). That cpu only gives me a couple outputs for temperatures, not all of them. The way I use them, I don't use the graphics cores (due to using a dedicated video card), so my temperatures are effectively scewed from the processing cores that does the work and the graphics cores just sitting around doing nothing. The point on that I am getting at, is the sensors average is the average for all of that sensor group. Then you get into the fun part of, what values does the motherboard reports (ie the location of the sensors). Some motherboards reports the temperature of the cpu socket as the cpu temperature, not the chip's temperature. A good example would be that hassle we encountered with one of the high end video cards (don't remember if it was on the Radeon or Nvidia cards), where the sensors was on the processor core, but not as much on the voltage regulators; causing the video cards to overheat.

You should keep in mind, the temperature is based on how much work the cpu is doing, and how long. If the cpu is only doing heavy work in short spurts, it doesn't generate as much heat (as the lower work time allows it to dissipate some of the heat).
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errors due to overheating are effectively random. If you are very lucky, the excess heat has no side effects. If you are somewhat lucky, the side effect is a good obvious failure, like a segmentation fault. If you are unlucky, the side effect is subtle corruption.
hedmo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to rebuild llvm Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Hello,

I am unable to rebuild llvm with gcc 6.4. I have found this advice to fix it but this was for the switch to gcc 5.4. Also on my notebook llvm recompiled with gcc 6.4 fine so I believe there might be another issue. I tried to recompile several times. Could you please support me identifying it?

Code:

[2973/3151] /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -m32 -DCLANG_ENABLE_ARCMT -DCLANG_ENABLE_OBJC_REWRITER -DCLANG_ENAB$
[2974/3151] /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -m32 -DCLANG_ENABLE_ARCMT -DCLANG_ENABLE_OBJC_REWRITER -DCLANG_ENAB$
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 ERROR: sys-devel/llvm-3.9.1-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
  ninja -v -j9 -l0 failed

Regards
Spargeltarzan

Spargeltarzan

i had the same problem with llvm and had to roll back to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.7.4 and python2.7.recompile it,set python3.6 and recompile,set x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-7.2.0 * and recompile again.MAKEOPTS= dont help.i had some packages updated to like libtools and bintools etc.

regards hedmo
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have put a new heating paste and during the last world upgrade the temperature climbed to a maximum of 58 ° C (only after 20 min. emerging libreoffice, while upgrading 10 little packages before, it was around 49 ° C). Whatever the real meaning of this sensor is, the situation improved very significantly :)

As stated already above my llvm compiled once in a lucky strike - I don't know what is the reason why it suddenly emerged, I didn't change python settings and I tried different makeopts already before, so this was also not the reason.

If somebody knows how I can ensure the mapping betweek makeopts and ninjaopts works correctly please let me know.

ADD: The segmentation fauls derived from a defect RAM. With new RAM I didn't observe any issues again.

Regards
Spargeltarzan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: