PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a neat one

http://xdesktopwaves.sourceforge.net/
syouth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.breedart.org

nice wallpaper materials and xmms/bmp/amp skins.
Tuomaz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I run Skippy-xd in Gnome DE, windows get maximized over the the Gnome panel. Standard behaviour (when skippy-xd not is running) is that windows get maximized to cover the whole desktop but the panel??

How to fix?
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuomaz wrote:
When I run Skippy-xd in Gnome DE, windows get maximized over the the Gnome panel. Standard behaviour (when skippy-xd not is running) is that windows get maximized to cover the whole desktop but the panel??

How to fix?

I had that problem when I ran xcompmgr. A little workaround is to open a terminal and type "killall gnome-panel". The panel will automaticly reload itself. You might be ably to make it load before the panel on login and that should fix the problem.
gtr-xu1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: GUI monitor Reply with quote

*excellent thread btw*

I have seen a little Desktop System Monitor running on a gentoo box at my Uni - It basically is made up of maybe 5 or 6 Horizontal bars - each one representing a different part of the system. It integrates nicely into wallpaper and does not look like it would use as much precious resources as Gdesklets or Karamba.

For the life of me I cannot remember what its called, I figured somebody in this thread would know. Thanks guys

Laters
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: GUI monitor Reply with quote

gtr-xu1 wrote:
*excellent thread btw*

I have seen a little Desktop System Monitor running on a gentoo box at my Uni - It basically is made up of maybe 5 or 6 Horizontal bars - each one representing a different part of the system. It integrates nicely into wallpaper and does not look like it would use as much precious resources as Gdesklets or Karamba.

For the life of me I cannot remember what its called, I figured somebody in this thread would know. Thanks guys

Laters

torsmo?
Dead-Bum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: More complex transparency patterns for Eterm Reply with quote

Here is a neat little trick that I started using a few years ago. It's a way of making Eterm be more than just tinted and transparent. using the --viewport-mode with eterm you can have anything that you can do in gimp be applied to your terminals. See this screenshot for examples of what I'm talking about:

Complex Terminal Tinting Screenshot

The Eterm on the lower right (next to the log) is how I normally keep them, a cool blue tint and a slight ripple. The other three are a little more adventurous but are just to provide an example of how extreme you can make it. Here's how to do it:

The background you are using MUST be exactly the same dimensions as your desktop resolution. So if you're running 800x600, open your background in GIMP and right-click->Image->Scale Image and set it to the right dimensions.

Now, all you have to do is apply something crazy to the image and save it as whateverTint.jpg. So if you wanted the cool blue ripple you could add a blue/green transparent gradient (the gradient tool), then right-click->Filters->Distorts->Waves and set the waves to be have a long wavelength. Save the new image as whateverTint.jpg and exit the gimp.

Now to put that image in our Eterms, you have to issue at least two flags with Eterm, --background-pixmap /the/path/to/the/tinted/image and --viewport-mode so that you can move it around and see different parts of the image depending on location. I keep my tinted pics in the same directory I keep my enlightenment backgrounds, so for instance to launch my eterms I issue the following command (I've got a hotkey for it and an enlightenment menu entry)

Code:
Eterm --viewport-mode --background-pixmap /home/bum/.enlightenment/backgrounds/ClearPurpleShroomsTint.jpg -F nexus -c purple -T Terminal --buttonbar no --scrollbar no &

That's about it, hope you enjoy it.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last tip was badass. And since it's not a script doing the effects (it's a predone pic), it doesn't eat processor power.
someguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: More complex transparency patterns for Eterm Reply with quote

Dead-Bum wrote:
Complex Terminal Tinting Screenshot

Code:
Eterm --viewport-mode --background-pixmap /home/bum/.enlightenment/backgrounds/ClearPurpleShroomsTint.jpg -F nexus -c purple -T Terminal --buttonbar no --scrollbar no &

Here's an idea... anyway we can have multiple lenses setup and have it open a random one each time it opens?
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone has the problem of Skippy-XD and 3ddesktop being toooooooooooooooooooo damn slow? I start one of them and they show up 5-10 secs later and are too slow. Skippy-XD can be even slower, it's sooooooo slow that sometimes get painful! Any tips on getting these babies to run faster? Otherwise they are not usable. I have an intel pentium 4, 2.2Ghz, with an ati radeon mobility 7500 with DRI on!

Any tips?

Paulo Matos
ph03n1x
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone forgot to mention:

adesklets [adesklets.sourceforge.net]

Way more stable than gdesklets here and also beautiful ;)
Dead-Bum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: random pics Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's an idea... anyway we can have multiple lenses setup and have it open a random one each time it opens?

Yea, you could do this. What you would have to do is write a small bash script to randomly select another bash script to execute, where each other bash script launches the eterm with a separate background. I won't go into the specifics of this, but if you read up on bash scripting it's not that hard. http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/randomvar.html This might be helpful. Cheers.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 2017, and I still reference this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: