broadcom wireless
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: broadcom wireless Reply with quote

I was wondering, if anyone knows of a good answer to the spotty performance of wireless card from Broadcom using the linux driver. And whether or not doing something like building outside the portage tree would have any changes to the software. I noticed that this package is causing me to experience kernel issues sometimes, either with the scanning (wifi scan WLC_SCAN error), or else like it did right now and on occasion taints the kernel and makes it so I have to restart the computer. Is that pretty normal with wifi cards in general, or just the ones that aren't the top most recommended ones to be using on linux (gentoo).

The package was built from the portage tree definitely in this case, or else from overlay, either way it involved unmasking (so I'm assuming it is due to this particular aspect of kernel tainting, but it would be nice to know if that is or isn't the main issue with this hardware/driver).

Code:
# emerge -pv broadcom-sta

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ~] net-wireless/broadcom-sta-6.30.223.271-r4::gentoo  0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

NOTE: I also noticed that the problems seem to "go away" with things like ip_route when the other interface is enabled, so it almost seems like the problem is somehow only present when there is NO conflict among routes to choose from (weird.)
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to know more, google the net for linux and issues with your hardware.

I wanted to change my wireless mini pci express card, to an ac one, and I did not found a single manufacturer which had no issues on the net. They are all problematic in regards of mini pci express cards for laptops.

New firmware / new software may fix issues, may not, it all depends on the combo software + firmware + kernel + other hardware which is used.

I have also enforced 100 percent transmit power on my ADSL XY "modem" / router combo unit.

If possible use an ethernet cable, more relyable
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: