Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Seems like somehow meson doesnt understand multilib systems?

Either that or I don't understand how to write Meson multilib ebuilds. :lol:

I'll look into it when I'm bored (very bored).

BuBuaBu wrote:
I've got an issue when updating gnome-packagekit-3.26.0

Ahh, Meson again.

I have rewritten the ebuild for the new build system so sync up and you should be good to go.

BuBuaBu wrote:
Also, when I upgrade to a new version, I just add the new overlay and switch the profile. But I keep older overlays. Should I remove them?

It's up to you as I have made things as seamless as possible.

BuBuaBu wrote:
If I search for ebuild from old overlays, it looks like there are still some installed from older version?

Some packages were moved to the generic GNOME overlay as they target multiple GNOME release versions. There are cases where these packages won't get rebuilt after a move if their version/revision didn't change.

Basically, except for GNOME PackageKit, you are up-to-date.

tiago4171 wrote:
I'm trying to install gnome in Gentoo, but when compiling the games-board/gnome-chess package it gives error while compiling.
I could just ignore it, but it's mandatory dependency for gnome.
I did not understand much of reading the build.log, so I ask for help.

Looks like GNOME bug #780452. I have corrected the issue accordingly across the board. Sync up and you should be good to go.

For the record, GNOME Chess is not mandatory. You can manage it through the games USE flag on gnome-base/gnome-extra-app (although that would end up excluding quite a few games).

dantrell wrote:
This is correct, but it's very few (~16 packages between GNOME 3.14 and 3.22). I have been dealing when them as I get to them.

Right now, GNOME 3.24 & 3.26 are free of WebKitGTK+ 2.4.11.

That said, I don't know how many of you saw this thread regarding the project and GLSAs 201706-15, 201709-03 and 201710-14 (although the last GLSA wasn't mentioned).

I did some more work on this front and now there are only 4 packages left between GNOME 3.14 and 3.20 left to deal with. Right now, GNOME 3.22, 3.24 & 3.26 are free of WebKitGTK+ 2.4.11.

I just wanted to let you know that I do keep my eyes open for various security advisories regarding GNOME-related packages and I do my best to apply fixes across all provided GNOME release versions.

Just one thing, please remember that some packages provided by the project will fail a GLSA check, however, in most (if not all) cases, I have already patched the related CVEs.
tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like GNOME bug #780452. I have corrected the issue accordingly across the board. Sync up and you should be good to go.

For the record, GNOME Chess is not mandatory. You can manage it through the games USE flag on gnome-base/gnome-extra-app (although that would end up excluding quite a few games).

Thanks Dantrell, it worked.
Waterdevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: LaniakeaHypercluster VirgoSupercluster MilkomedaGroup OrionArm Sector001 GouldBelt SolSystem Austria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: dantrell-gnome-3-26 log out session after monitor switch off Reply with quote

Hi, every time I switch off my monitor, the next time I switch on, the session was ended and I have to log on.

This is very annoying and troublesome, because all open windows or terminals with running commands are terminated.

I disabled screen lock. Monitor inactivity "on" after 15 min.

What additional information should I post?

What to do?

many thanks

Main-Sys: LianLi modded Big Cube 8000,X11DPG-QT,MEM:64G,LSI 9305,HDD:102TB(16x3T,8x6T,4x1T,1x0,5Tm.2,4x0,5TSSD),nVidia GTX1060,NIC:2x10GbSFP+,Fans:20,PSU:1200W+500W,UPS:APC1500VA,FibreChannel,Tandberg LTO-6
BuBuaBu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

BuBuaBu wrote:
I've got an issue when updating gnome-packagekit-3.26.0

Ahh, Meson again.

It's fixed thank you :)
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Any idea what could be causing this?

Yep. The short of it is that eclasses in the main portage tree which specify version ranges for packages will compete with equivalent eclasses in overlays if the version ranges differ.

In relation to the project overlays, this happens when version ranges in the overlays go ahead of what's in the mainline tree (e.g. we have vala:0.38 while the mainline tree is still on 0.36).

There are two solutions to preventing the flip-flopping:

1. Wait for the mainline tree to catch up.

2. Fork all packages that use the affected eclass.

I have been using option #2 all this time and a recent checks shows that two packages are unaccounted for. Problem is, I don't see them in your emerge output, although, that doesn't mean they aren't the problem so sync up and see if that does it.

So, a bit of a slow follow up, but been a bit busy and wanted to see if stuff would change over time and make sure I don't have any actual updates when updating world, but I'm still seeing the same issue

Code:
$ emerge --ask --verbose --tree --update --changed-use --binpkg-changed-deps=y --deep --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged

Calculating dependencies... done!
[nomerge       ] gnome-extra/gnome-calendar-3.20.4::dantrell-gnome-3-20
[nomerge       ]  gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-3.20.6-r1:0/57::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="gnome-online-accounts gtk introspection vala weather -api-doc-extras -berkdb -google -ipv6 -kerberos -ldap {-test}"
[binary  NS    ]   dev-lang/vala-0.36.7:0.36::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.34.12:0.34::dantrell-gnome, 0.38.3:0.38::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 in new slot, 1 binary), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

$ emerge -a --depclean
>>> Calculating removal order...

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/vala
    selected: 0.36.7
   protected: none
     omitted: 0.32.1 0.34.12 0.38.3

And then doing it again
Code:
$ emerge --ask --verbose --tree --update --changed-use --binpkg-changed-deps=y --deep --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

[nomerge       ] media-sound/noise-0.4.0.1::elementary  USE="libnotify mpris nls -ipod -lastfm -zeitgeist"
[nomerge       ]  dev-libs/libindicate-12.10.1-r2:3::gentoo  USE="introspection -gtk"
[binary  NS    ]   dev-lang/vala-0.36.7:0.36::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.34.12:0.34::dantrell-gnome, 0.38.3:0.38::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}" 0 KiB

$ emerge -a depclean
>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/vala
    selected: 0.34.12
     omitted: 0.32.1 0.36.7

dev-lang/vala
    selected: 0.38.3
     omitted: 0.32.1 0.36.7

Luckily I use binpkg, otherwise I would have to compile it every time :P

Any other idea/suggestion what it could be? If you need some more info please let me know.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
I did some more work on this front and now there are only 4 packages left between GNOME 3.14 and 3.20 left to deal with. Right now, GNOME 3.22, 3.24 & 3.26 are free of WebKitGTK+ 2.4.11.

I finished this and now all provided GNOME release versions are free of WebKitGTK+ 2.4.11. :)

Waterdevil wrote:
Hi, every time I switch off my monitor, the next time I switch on, the session was ended and I have to log on.

Waterdevil wrote:
What to do?

Looks like Launchpad bug #1721428 and GNOME bug #789166.

I'm going to sit on this for a bit while I investigate (in the meanwhile, you can try the patch for Mutter if you are so inclined).

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Code:
[nomerge       ] media-sound/noise-0.4.0.1::elementary  USE="libnotify mpris nls -ipod -lastfm -zeitgeist"
[nomerge       ]  dev-libs/libindicate-12.10.1-r2:3::gentoo  USE="introspection -gtk"

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Any other idea/suggestion what it could be?

I'm almost 100% sure it's these two packages. Fork them into a local overlay that has an eclass directory containing this vala.eclass file. Update @world while making sure those two packages are rebuilt from the local overlay.

If that works, you have your answer and unfortunately you are probably going to have to manage it yourself because while I could make a case for forking dev-libs/libindicate, media-sound/noise is a bit much as it's an overlay package. :(
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CGroup cleanup issue with xdm should be finxed in OpenRC 0.34.10:

https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/issues/166
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Waterdevil wrote:

Waterdevil wrote:
What to do?

Looks like Launchpad bug #1721428 and GNOME bug #789166.

I'm going to sit on this for a bit while I investigate (in the meanwhile, you can try the patch for Mutter if you are so inclined).

I finished sitting on this. The patch referenced has been adjusted accordingly to account for GNOME bug #788607 and applied.

Remember to restart GNOME Shell (or XDM) after updating Mutter.

saboya wrote:
The CGroup cleanup issue with xdm should be finxed in OpenRC 0.34.10

Thanks for the heads up.

The OpenRC mask has been adjusted.
flyingkillerspacepixies
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: libgnome and libgnomeui merging issue due to glib-mkenums Reply with quote

So I tried merging libgnome and libgnomeui during world updates prior to installing gnome and was met with a similar problem each time; a termination due to the following error:
"UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 3214: invalid start byte"
though obviously a different position

in both of these cases there are source files with UTF-8 chars in comments which are the issue
in the case of libgnome it's an invisible char in libgnome/gnome-config.h, in the case of libgnomeui, it's 2 files (gnome-scores.c, gnome-scores.h) with an author's name (Horacio J. Peña) which contains a UTF-8 char
stripping offending files UTF-8 chars results in the merge working

the version of glib I've merged is "dev-libs/glib-2.54.2:2/54::dantrell-gnome" and the versions of libgnome and libgnomeui are gnome-base/libgnome-2.32.1-r1::gentoo gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5-r1::gentoo

figured I would post it here because I couldn't find anyone else mentioning it anywhere else (maybe my google-fu is just insufficient)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: libgnome and libgnomeui merging issue due to glib-mkenum Reply with quote

flyingkillerspacepixies wrote:
So I tried merging libgnome and libgnomeui during world updates prior to installing gnome and was met with a similar problem each time; a termination due to the following error:
"UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xa0 in position 3214: invalid start byte"

in both of these cases there are source files with UTF-8 chars in comments which are the issue
in the case of libgnome it's an invisible char in libgnome/gnome-config.h, in the case of libgnomeui, it's 2 files (gnome-scores.c, gnome-scores.h) with an author's name (Horacio J. Peña) which contains a UTF-8 char

This should be reported to Gentoo as nothing in the project overlays pull those packages in (and I haven't had reason to fork them regardless).

The good news is that there are already official patches available¹² that can be backported (although it's an easy enough issue to correct anyway).

If others are currently affected by this, I will probably temporarily fix it on my end. If not, it will be corrected at some point once the issue reaches the attention of the Gentoo GNOME team.

figured I would post it here because I couldn't find anyone else mentioning it anywhere else (maybe my google-fu is just insufficient)

When in doubt, go straight to the development repositories. ;)
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

The OpenRC mask has been adjusted.

I guess I should have tested it first: It's still an issue. =/
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:

And... masked again. :twisted:

I might have to fork OpenRC at the rate they are pruning working versions (only version 0.28 is left).
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
saboya wrote:

I might have to fork OpenRC at the rate they are pruning working versions (only version 0.28 is left).

Once again I dont have any problems with this.

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.34.10::gentoo  USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode -audit -debug -newnet (-prefix) (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.22.3-r4::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="deprecated deprecated-background -bluetooth -browser-extension -ibus -networkmanager -nsplugin (-systemd) -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen (-xephyr)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6" 1,907 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.22.3-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="branding deprecated introspection tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit -fprint -ipv6 -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland" 1,114 KiB

My computer boots and shutdowns really fast.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Code:

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Any other idea/suggestion what it could be?

I'm almost 100% sure it's these two packages. Fork them into a local overlay that has an eclass directory containing this vala.eclass file. Update @world while making sure those two packages are rebuilt from the local overlay.

If that works, you have your answer and unfortunately you are probably going to have to manage it yourself because while I could make a case for forking dev-libs/libindicate, media-sound/noise is a bit much as it's an overlay package. :(

OK, I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks for the hint!
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
dantrell wrote:
saboya wrote:

Once again I dont have any problems with this.

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.34.10::gentoo  USE="ncurses netifrc pam unicode -audit -debug -newnet (-prefix) (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.22.3-r4::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="deprecated deprecated-background -bluetooth -browser-extension -ibus -networkmanager -nsplugin (-systemd) -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen (-xephyr)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6" 1,907 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.22.3-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-22  USE="branding deprecated introspection tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit -fprint -ipv6 -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland" 1,114 KiB

My computer boots and shutdowns really fast.

It might be gdm version-specific then, I have 3.26 installed.

*edit* - I managed to work around the issue by setting rc_send_sighup="YES" in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
# If this is yes, we will send sighup to the processes in the cgroup
# immediately after stopsig and sigcont.
rc_send_sighup="YES"

With this on, xdm doesn't hang and the PC shuts down really fast.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:

It might be gdm version-specific then, I have 3.26 installed.

*edit* - I managed to work around the issue by setting rc_send_sighup="YES" in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
rc_send_sighup="YES"

I havent touched rc.conf. But I had this issue on another machine that had lightdm installed, and I think it was using elogind back then. So it might be related to openrc and elogind? On this machine I have gnome-3.22 installed with consolekit and I experience no troubles.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
I managed to work around the issue by setting rc_send_sighup="YES" in /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
rc_send_sighup="YES"

You know, this makes me wonder that maybe the issue wasn't caused by the introduction of cgroups but by this commit.

Before then, processes were just killed. After that, it was made configurable with a 90 second timeout sprinkled in, after which point, processes were killed which is why the shutdown process seemed to hang but eventually completed.

So KILL (from versions <0.31), SIGKILL (the failsafe) and SIGHUP (the user configurable option) works but not whatever is currently the default.

Juippisi wrote:
I havent touched rc.conf. But I had this issue on another machine that had lightdm installed, and I think it was using elogind back then. So it might be related to openrc and elogind? On this machine I have gnome-3.22 installed with consolekit and I experience no troubles.

I think you missed my earlier reply?

dantrell wrote:
From what I found, SDDM isn't affected by this issue but GDM is. However, it isn't elogind related as I experienced it with GNOME 3.14 and ConsoleKit.

tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: libgnome and libgnomeui merging issue due to glib-mkenum Reply with quote

the version of glib I've merged is "dev-libs/glib-2.54.2:2/54::dantrell-gnome" and the versions of libgnome and libgnomeui are gnome-base/libgnome-2.32.1-r1::gentoo gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.5-r1::gentoo

I'm Having the same problem, but i'm trying to install soundconverter instead GNOME.

I report or you report?
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
You know, this makes me wonder that maybe the issue wasn't caused by the introduction of cgroups but by this commit.

Before then, processes were just killed. After that, it was made configurable with a 90 second timeout sprinkled in, after which point, processes were killed which is why the shutdown process seemed to hang but eventually completed.

So KILL (from versions <0.31), SIGKILL (the failsafe) and SIGHUP (the user configurable option) works but not whatever is currently the default.

You're probably right, but then the question is: Should OpenRC send SIGHUP / SIGKILL or the commit just uncovered some issue with some xdm child process not handling signals correctly? (also, very likely related to elogind)

Whatever the case is, I'm sticking with 0.34.10 with SIGHUP for now.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiago4171 wrote:
I'm Having the same problem, but i'm trying to install soundconverter instead GNOME.

I corrected this on my end for now.

Sync up and you should be good to go.

tiago4171 wrote:
I report or you report?

Please report it for me, thanks.

saboya wrote:
You're probably right, but then the question is: Should OpenRC send SIGHUP / SIGKILL or the commit just uncovered some issue with some xdm child process not handling signals correctly? (also, very likely related to elogind)

I think reverting OpenRC's choice of signal is the cleanest solution here. It was a long-held default and almost everything (if not everything) else played nice with it. SIGHUP could also work I guess.

saboya wrote:
Whatever the case is, I'm sticking with 0.34.10 with SIGHUP for now.

I'm going to leave the mask in place as otherwise there's a non-optimal user epxerience out-of-the-box.

If the last working version is dropped before this is fixed, I'm going fork OpenRC and patch the default signal.

Edit: After reading up on OpenRC issue #166 I have decided to fork the package for the project. It was forked locally anyway. :wink:
tiago4171
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Please report it for me, thanks.

Reported
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantrell,

When we use your overlay, we can ignore the news regarding the new 17.0 profile?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
When we use your overlay, we can ignore the news regarding the new 17.0 profile?

You can ignore it for now (maybe even for ~6 months :P).

I'm going to take the time to review my profile implementation and let the 17.0 profiles age a bit. If I end up referencing them, you just have to follow the steps outlined in the news item.

I'll update everyone when I have something concrete at which point it will be announced here and maybe though the project homepage as well as a news item.

dantrell wrote:
After reading up on OpenRC issue #166 I have decided to fork the package for the project. It was forked locally anyway. :wink:

Done. OpenRC 0.29 will be the stable version for the foreseeable future with newer versions being slotted in ~.

In particular, the shutdown progress was simplified (this is also the patch you should reference if you want to try reopening OpenRC issue #166).

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Are you going to make elogind work for the older and consolekit for the newer GNOME versions in your overlay?

Just elogind for the older ones. ConsoleKit will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

I'm picking a day to get this done. Stay tuned for USE flag shenanigans. :twisted:

I can't recall if I mentioned this previously but the issue (if it's ConsoleKit specific) with GDM sometimes requiring you to login twice might be resolved by elogind.

Edit: Done as well but not live just yet. I'm going to test it for a while longer as there were indeed USE flag shenanigans (as well as a minor elogind issue with early GNOME release versions).
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe found something that needs profile tweaking, trying to emerge inkscape today:

Code:
# required by media-gfx/inkscape-0.91-r4::dantrell-gnome
# required by inkscape (argument)
=media-gfx/scour-0.36 ~amd64
tallefjant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was ibus with use flag gtk3 masked for the 3.20 profile (f513b2fb6ca76cb937ca83637c9415e81147d4ed)? I think japanese input from ibus-anthy stopped working with this change. Undoing this change and re-building ibus with gtk3 made it work again.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 18 of 29

Jump to: