View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] 32-bit applications not rendering Reply with quote

I recently noticed that some applications under Wine were glitching out, but I didn't need them much so I didn't investigate. Today I tried starting Steam, and found that it would only show a colored window with a few boxes, which I can interact with (same with Wine). At this point I realized that there must be something wrong with my graphics with 32-bit multilib.

I tried compiling a 32-bit version of glxgears:
Code:
$ tar xaf /usr/portage/distfiles/mesa-demos-8.3.0.tar.bz2
$ cd mesa-demos-8.3.0/src/xdemos/
$ gcc glxgears.c -lm -lX11 -lGL -o glxgears64
$ gcc glxgears.c -lm -lX11 -lGL -o glxgears32 -m32

64-bit version shows normally, but 32-bit version is just a black box. There are no errors, and it even shows the expected output:
Code:
$ ./glxgears32
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
414 frames in 5.0 seconds = 82.534 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.951 FPS

Any idea? This used to work at least a month ago.

Downgrading to Mesa 17.2.6 didn't help, and neither did booting Linux 3.12.

I'm running ~amd64. GPU is: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X/360]
Code:
$ emerge -pvq mesa xorg-server xf86-video-amdgpu
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/mesa-17.3.0_rc5 [17.2.6] USE="classic d3d9 dri3 egl gallium gbm gles2 llvm nptl opencl vaapi vdpau vulkan wayland -bindist -debug -gles1 -openmax -osmesa -pax_kernel -pic (-selinux) -unwind -valgrind -xa -xvmc" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" VIDEO_CARDS="i965 intel radeon radeonsi (-freedreno) -i915 (-imx) -nouveau -r100 -r200 -r300 -r600 (-vc4) -virgl (-vivante) -vmware"
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.5  USE="glamor suid systemd udev wayland xorg xvfb -debug -dmx -doc -ipv6 -kdrive -libressl -minimal (-selinux) -static-libs -tslib -unwind -xcsecurity -xephyr -xnest"
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-1.4.0

Last edited by Etal on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other system updates occurred between these times that you noticed the applications in Wine and 32-bit stuff not working anymore? Could either Steam or Wine have also been updated and caused it? Since you have no log to point you anywhere, how about a fresh install of Steam could that be worthwhile at this point.

I too have glitches with these type of 32-bit applications, but it all depends on how solid of a need you have for it. If you are working on a laptop or a desktop with various purposes, then it seems like uninstalling it would be good for now until you figure out what else doesn't work.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to reset the steam install before, but the root of the issue is that 32-bit glxgears is not working.

I'm not sure when it stopped working since I don't really use them that often. For the most part, I keep my @world up to date.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after looking here at another forum, similar issue I would guess that you probably need to reinstall the entire graphics stack (except for the X server since you do have a black window that means it probably isn't X11 causing any issues). Possible culprits may be opengl settings, mesa libs (EDIT: which you mentioned having checked already), and other hardware specific drivers. If I had to guess the problem isn't an issue with your DE (but maybe it is with regards to choosing USE flags and corect profile) but more likely with the graphics stack as I mentioned.

Can you please post back with settings for opengl, using:
Code:
eselect opengl list

Also Have a look here for some more ideas:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135562

(Content edited for purposes of restating things that were already mentioned previously).
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Ok, after looking here at another forum, similar issue I would guess that you probably need to reinstall the entire graphics stack (except for the X server since you do have a black window that means it probably isn't X11 causing any issues). Possible culprits may be opengl settings, mesa libs (EDIT: which you mentioned having checked already), and other hardware specific drivers. If I had to guess the problem isn't an issue with your DE (but maybe it is with regards to choosing USE flags and corect profile) but more likely with the graphics stack as I mentioned.

I've tried rebuilding pretty much everything graphics related, and all packages with 32bit multilib. Aside from Mesa, I tried downgrading xf86-video-amdgpu to 1.3.0, but that didn't help. My WM is Openbox.
LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Can you please post back with settings for opengl, using:
Code:
eselect opengl list

Not particularly interesting since I use the open-source amdgpu stack:
Code:
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   xorg-x11 *

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Also Have a look here for some more ideas:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=135562

(Content edited for purposes of restating things that were already mentioned previously).

That's not really my problem. OpenGL "works" (there's no initialization errors, applications respond to clicks, and glxgears even shows FPS) - it's that things are not properly rendered on screen. And the problem is only with 32-bit applications.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal, I forget if wine works this way or differently, than steam (which is basically running in a chroot at all times). If wine is doing that, you might want to look into the environment that wine is meant to be in, as opposed to believing that troubleshooting the issue of no rendering is going to produce a result, when there may be some very simple aspect in wine.

Are you on a multilib profile in general?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
MageSlayer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 32-bit applications not rendering Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
I recently noticed that some applications under Wine were glitching out, but I didn't need them much so I didn't investigate. Today I tried starting Steam, and found that it would only show a colored window with a few boxes, which I can interact with (same with Wine). At this point I realized that there must be something wrong with my graphics with 32-bit multilib.

I am pretty sure it's the effect of recent gcc (some regression with x32 build). Recently I've investigated exactly the same symptom.
Try changing default compiler back to gcc-4.9.4 (anything before GCC 5) and recompile mesa and possibly related stuff.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 32-bit applications not rendering Reply with quote

MageSlayer wrote:
Etal wrote:

I am pretty sure it's the effect of recent gcc (some regression with x32 build). Recently I've investigated exactly the same symptom.
Try changing default compiler back to gcc-4.9.4 (anything before GCC 5) and recompile mesa and possibly related stuff.

I didn't need to go that far - after rebuilding mesa with gcc-6.4.0, everything started working as expected (wine, steam, glxgears).

Thanks so much! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: