[solved] Question about kvm virtualization
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: [solved] Question about kvm virtualization Reply with quote

Hi, I am doing some tests as we might need to change our IT environement at my job. So I installed some guests in kvm. In General the vms run very well, only GPU seemed a bit slow, so I installed virgl 3d and the result is very nice for Linux guests, but i think there is no driver for 3d accel. for win10 guests yet.

My test for GPU was simply play a video fullscreen in the guest vms.

I compared with vmplayer then and was surprized how well windows guests run in it, even gpu with video playback.

So is it correct, that gpu performance of windows guests is handeled best with VMware and kvm is remarkable slower than VMware?

KVM host for testing was an old gentoo box with a core2duo and a radeon R7 (cap verde). Is it possible to get similar gpu performance with open source kvm? Gpu passthrough is not an option.

Or will new hardware (actual server to be bought soon) perform much better than my old core2duo box even in gpu vitrualization?

Last edited by Elleni on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried to get virgl working and couldn't even get the vm to start. Either virgl doesn't like nvidia, or I'm doing it wrong. Regardless, my understanding is that windows virgl support is experimental at best.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/virglrenderer-devel/2017-October/000156.html
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record. Having replaced my old core2 duo / radeon r7 with a ryzen 1600 six core cpu and a radeon rx580, gpu performance is very good now, even with qxl gpu :D

I am still surprized, that on the old box vmware was able to perform much faster than qemu/kvm on windows guests. I then found out about virgl for linux guests, that is a promising and interesting project that had boosted gpu performance for linux guests on my old hardware :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: