laptop doesn't reboot at final step of gentoo installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Gianni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: laptop doesn't reboot at final step of gentoo installation Reply with quote

Hi, im new to gentoo and I'm using the handbook to install gentoo on my old laptop (2005-ish). I managed to follow the handbook steps until I got to the reboot step, where it failed to reboot properly giving some errors.
I'm using a usb key where I put the gentoo minimal installation CD. I used unetbootin to put the image on the usb key.

Here is a photo of the errors:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/senkfa.jpg

It seems he's having trouble unmounting the cdrom?
I wish I knew what's happening but I'm really ignorant on these errors. I tried to look for "/lib/rc is not writable!" or "ERROR: mount-ro failed to start" on google but I found nothing useful.
I had to hard reset the laptop, and when I start it it says that the boot sector is invalid, so I guess grub wasn't installed correctly (?). Was it because it was unable to reboot correcly? I'd like some suggestions, since there seems to be a lot of issues going up here, and I feel a little overwhelmed.

Thank you
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Gianni,

Welcome to Gentoo.

All the important steps in the shutdown process have completed correctly.
Power the laptop off, remove the USB key and power it up again.

You should see the grub menu allowing you to choose Gentoo, or if you just wait for the timeout, Gentoo will start.

Did you use an MSDOS or GPT disk label?

Exactly what is the error text?
A photo works.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
_Gianni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
_Gianni,

Welcome to Gentoo.

All the important steps in the shutdown process have completed correctly.
Power the laptop off, remove the USB key and power it up again.

You should see the grub menu allowing you to choose Gentoo, or if you just wait for the timeout, Gentoo will start.

Hello NeddySeagoon!

As I mentioned, I tried to power up the laptop (removing first the usb key) but the grub menu fails to appear. Instead, the computer bios tells me "Invalid boot sector". Here is a photo of the error
Should I open another thread asking for help related to a grub issue?

I'd like to add that I also tried to re-enter the installation with the usb key (by mounting the fs partition, then the others as written in the handbook then chrooting again) and tried to install lilo, but I still got no success. I used GPT for the partitions layout, since I read it shouldnt be an issue even if the pc uses bios instead of efi/uefi (was I wrong?)

ps. thank you for your interest!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 2005 laptop wouldn't know about GPT, you need to add protective (fake) MBR, gdisk can do it. Also, just in case, mark your boot partition with bootable flag when at it.

Political Correctness is all about replacing imaginary injustice with real injustice.
_Gianni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Your 2005 laptop wouldn't know about GPT, you need to add protective (fake) MBR, gdisk can do it. Also, just in case, mark your boot partition with bootable flag when at it.

Hi, bingo!

I did as you said, following this guide, and grub appeared.

Thank you for that.

Now I've got another issue.. when I select gentoo from the grub menù, after some logging it states "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0), showing avaiable partitions" and shows no partitions but a kernel panic error message.
Looks like I got more work to do.. I'll have to investigate a bit, maybe I didn't include the right hdd drivers during the kernel configuration? :(
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very common error, see for yourself: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aforums.gentoo.org+unknown-block0%2C0&atb=v23__&ia=web

Political Correctness is all about replacing imaginary injustice with real injustice.
_Gianni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
This is very common error, see for yourself: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aforums.gentoo.org+unknown-block0%2C0&atb=v23__&ia=web

Hi again, you are correct. After lurking a bit I found out I didn't include my hdd driver during the kernel compilation. Adding that gave me a working gentoo system.
This site helped me a lot with identifying the needed drivers: https://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.rhtmlx

Thank you all for your support!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: